• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered mine from cabelas in March I think. It’s was right before Cabelas stopped shipping muzzleloaders direct to people’s houses. I had mine delivered to my doorstep and right after I got it everyone on here was talking about how Cabelas stopped shipping muzzleloaders direct. A quick google search and I found a couple of places that had the Pedersoli Frontier in stock which is the same rifle as the Cabelas Blue Ridge without Cabelas pricing. I think the finish may be different on the Frontier.

1600693851771.jpeg

Last edited:
I am a newbie and bought a Blue Ridge as my first BP rifle. For me it fits and points well, I looked at the Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle, but it felt quite nose heavy to me.

What I have learned from mine after having it to the range twice is that out of the box it loads TIGHT! I had bought .490 balls and . 010 patches. With a short starter and beating them, they would not load. Period. The rifling is cut SHARP on these rifles. After a half dozen or so .480 balls I was able to start using .490. It loads much better now. Cleaning patches and jag still take a little finesse at first.

I had to shim the trigger plate slightly to get the set trigger to be more crisp and backed off on the mainspring pressure (learned that from the manual) from the factory setting. Easy stuff to do.

I was surprised by how low it shot due to the front sight being so tall. At 25 yards using the notch sight, holding center, it wasn't even on the paper. After having three different people shoot it, trying 3 different loads and holding high we determined the front sight needed filing. I have taken quite a bit off and have more to go. With that said, it shoots dead straight l/r and seems to be grouping very well.

I am attaching two targets first is day one out of the box on the 25 yard range. You will see a shot on bottom of the paper, that was holding at the top of the paper! You will see that one we figured it out, it started grouping well.

Second target is on 50 yard range. It still shoots slightly low and is grouping decent. I found out I had started flinching and that the trigger set was off. I haven't shot since making the adjustment.

Overall I like the rifle and just need to learn it and how to shoot it better!

Hope this helps you out.

Jason
20200921_094655.jpg
20200921_094736.jpg

I wonder if the the triggers have changed. I just got mine at the begging of the year. I think its a true double set. Mine wint fire unset and feels under a pound set. I like real light triggers couldnt be happier. Mine is very accurate and is as fast as a perfussion. Its also my first flintlock and couldnt be happier.
Try backing off you mainspring screw, I had the same issue with mine not firing without using the set trigger.

Marinekayak,
Where or from what vendor did you purchase your Blue Ridge rifle?

I'm in N.W. Ohio and both the Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas here, have not seen a Pedersoli rifle in 7+ years. Cabelas said they can't order them any more, since Bass Pro purchased them. Bass Pro recommended contacting other Pedersoli venders. :doh:
Trying to purchase one of these rifles has become nearly impossible and physically putting my hands on one first isn't going to happen. I had hopes of owning a long rifle, in a flintlock (my first) and in something with a roundball 1:66 twist.

I did get a chance to physically hold a Pedersoli Blue Ridge in a 50 caliber, flintlock, this past Saturday. It was a very used one, at a local gun shop and priced within $70 of a new one. :rolleyes: My second choice would be a Lyman Great Plains rifle, in a 50 caliber, percussion....but I'd prefer the long rifle.

I'm open to suggestions on this purchase. Otherwise, I may be doing without a muzzleloader.

Bowhunter57
I bought mine at the Dundee Cabela's 2 months ago... I had to call the stores, which is a total pain nowadays, to get someone at the counter to answer and verify they had one in stock.

I have owned two Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifles, but both of mine were percussion. Great shooting rifles and extremely accurate. A person cannot go too wrong with Pedersoli's guns.

That said, I was going to convert one to flintlock, so at first ordered just the lock. It was the most defective piece of junk I've ever seen and don't know how it made it out of the factory. The cock was bent so far to the left that a flint centered in the jaws would only contact 1/2 the frizzen...of course it would have smashed on the barrel first. The pan cover was so far above the pan it would have required refilling and redrilling the hole it pivots on. There were a couple of other issues as well. I sent pictures to Pedersoli to make them aware, but they did not seem overwhelmingly interested. I ended up sending it back and using a Chamber's builder's lock. Now, I'm not saying this is common, and I was shocked about it as I've always thought well of Pedersoli and my overall experiences with their products.

Personally, I would pay more and get the Southern Mountain Rifle kit from Jim Kibler. With Jim's quality kits, the build should be pretty easy for someone who has even limited skills....but patience to do the job right. In the end, a person will have a wonderful, historical example of an SMR with a much higher quality lock and everything in the kit is AMERICAN made. The swamped barrel alone is worth a lot in the balance and feel the rifle will have, not to mention the super high-quality locks Jim is now machining in his own shop.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/products/southern-mountain-rifle-kit-gun-base-price-950

If you are interested in any Pedersoli at a good price, I recently purchased a Pedersoli La Bohemiene DIRECT (best shotgun I have ever owned using modern shells and external hammers); from:
IMPORTERS AND DISTRIBUTORS
IFG-NA, LLC DBA ITALIAN FIREARMS GROUP
18250 I-40 West -Amarillo, TX 79124 / PO Box 300 - Bushland, TX 79012 - -

Not a fan of it, Pedersoli really cut out a lot to make this rifle to make it more affordable.

I owned one for a few years, found it to be not very well designed especially when it came to the lock. As a single bolt gun lock, there’s too much left on the the forward side of the lock, so it will often leave a slight gap.

The triggers were stiff and the screw lugged thimble to barrel design seems like a short cut for factory made guns, not very authentic at all.

I sold mine, too the hit on it for a Kibler .36 Cal.

I have yet to physically handle a Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock rifle, but plan on making the trip to Cabela's, to do so, soon. I like the looks, lines and haven't heard/read anything about the rifle that would dissuade me from purchasing one. I have handled similar rifles, like the Tennessee Mountain rifle. This would be my first flintlock rifle and I'm interested in staying with a 50 caliber, vs. a 54 caliber, due to having owned 50 calibers in the past.

This rifle will be used for deer hunting, the occasional groundhog and as many muzzleloader quail walk style shooting events as I can find.
My only other "second choice" would be a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, also in flintlock and 50 caliber. As much good as I've heard about this rifle and it's accuracy, I just prefer the full stock vs. the half stock.

Having said the above, I'm open to suggestions about either rifle. Pros and Cons.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
I have a Blue ridge in 36 cal. the trigger pull was 14 1/2 which was way to long for me so I had it shortened to 131/2 mine is a tack driver and I love it.

I have a Blue ridge in 36 cal. the trigger pull was 14 1/2 which was way to long for me so I had it shortened to 131/2 mine is a tack driver and I love it.
I too have a .36 Frontier with both a percussion lock and a flint lock. The gun is more accurate that I can hold off hand. I personally like the idea of easily being able to remove the barrel from the stock for cleaning. It may not be historically correct but it sure makes for easy cleaning.

Have you tried Dixie Gun Works, located in Tennessee?
Lots of Pedersoli long rifles. Lot of kits you can finish to your own taste.
I have bought mail order from them since 1959, both parts and guns. Sometimes they are a little squirrely, but honest & good to deal with.

I opted for the Pedersoli Frontier for the simple fact that I wanted the browned finish.
In essence, they are supposed to be the same gun. The only difference is the blue vs browned finish.
The lock on my Frontier is excellent, gets 50-100 fires off of a flint (French Amber from Heritage) and is remarkably reliable and accurate. 1" groups at 50 yards and in the right hands will probably do better than I can shoot.
No frills, no patch box, excellent quality of finish and very comfortable to shoot. In my humble opinion, one of the best deals out there for a very good quality flintlock long gun.
One piece of advice, keep the patent style breech clean and it will never fail you.
I refitted mine with an OXYOKE vent liner because the factory vent liner is a real bear to remove. The factory liner needs an extra wide and extra sharp tip to get into a really tiny slot. The OXYOKE uses a hex allen key and is super easy to remove for that occasional deep cleaning.
I have hundreds of rounds through mine now, and it just keeps getting better.
ABES has them in stock at a reasonable price. Pedersoli Frontier Rifle .50 Cal Flintlock

Last edited:
If you are interested in any Pedersoli at a good price, I recently purchased a Pedersoli La Bohemiene DIRECT (best shotgun I have ever owned using modern shells and external hammers); from:
IMPORTERS AND DISTRIBUTORS
IFG-NA, LLC DBA ITALIAN FIREARMS GROUP
18250 I-40 West -Amarillo, TX 79124 / PO Box 300 - Bushland, TX 79012 - -
LOL, I was born and raised in Bushland. Not many can even find it on the map.
Population was 80 when I left there..... in 1968

I have owned two Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifles, but both of mine were percussion. Great shooting rifles and extremely accurate. A person cannot go too wrong with Pedersoli's guns.

That said, I was going to convert one to flintlock, so at first ordered just the lock. It was the most defective piece of junk I've ever seen and don't know how it made it out of the factory. The cock was bent so far to the left that a flint centered in the jaws would only contact 1/2 the frizzen...of course it would have smashed on the barrel first. The pan cover was so far above the pan it would have required refilling and redrilling the hole it pivots on. There were a couple of other issues as well. I sent pictures to Pedersoli to make them aware, but they did not seem overwhelmingly interested. I ended up sending it back and using a Chamber's builder's lock. Now, I'm not saying this is common, and I was shocked about it as I've always thought well of Pedersoli and my overall experiences with their products.

Personally, I would pay more and get the Southern Mountain Rifle kit from Jim Kibler. With Jim's quality kits, the build should be pretty easy for someone who has even limited skills....but patience to do the job right. In the end, a person will have a wonderful, historical example of an SMR with a much higher quality lock and everything in the kit is AMERICAN made. The swamped barrel alone is worth a lot in the balance and feel the rifle will have, not to mention the super high-quality locks Jim is now machining in his own shop.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/products/southern-mountain-rifle-kit-gun-base-price-950
Will not disagree that the Kibler is a great gun,
BUT
at $1050.00 plus finishing supplies (another 100+) and if a person does not have the shop space or skills for a build add another $700.00 for in the white assembly. Comparing a $1,850.00 investment for a gun not even completely finished yet to a $750.00 ready to shoot gun is not even a fair comparison.
I would not recommend a person looking for an economy car to spend 246% more so he can have a luxury model.....
That's not what the OP said he was looking for.
That's the same reason I bought a Pedersoli (that I am very happy with) instead of a Kibler.
Like many here - maybe someday, but I wanted to shoot NOW.

Will not disagree that the Kibler is a great gun,
BUT
at $1050.00 plus finishing supplies (another 100+) and if a person does not have the shop space or skills for a build add another $700.00 for in the white assembly. Comparing a $1,850.00 investment for a gun not even completely finished yet to a $750.00 ready to shoot gun is not even a fair comparison.
I would not recommend a person looking for an economy car to spend 246% more so he can have a luxury model.....
That's not what the OP said he was looking for.
That's the same reason I bought a Pedersoli (that I am very happy with) instead of a Kibler.
Like many here - maybe someday, but I wanted to shoot NOW.
You do not need a shop to build a Kimber kit. As Jim says: some folks have built very nice rifles on their kitchen tables.

You do not need a shop to build a Kimber kit. As Jim says: some folks have built very nice rifles on their kitchen tables.
My wife and I use our kitchen table for eating.
And I do have a place to work from. The OP may not have a place to do building and finishing.
And that does not change the fact that the Kibler will still cost a lot more than a factory gun, and that few hundred to a thousand dollars more can easily mean no gun at all vs a factory gun that functions just fine. The PURPOSE of the original OP and the thread was NOT to ask how to spend a lot more money - but a question on where to get a Blue Ridge. Re-directing him to a more expensive and unwanted item is used car lot plaid suited salesman behavior. Instead - why not stay on topic and find him a Pedersoli he asked for in the first place....

THIS FROM THE ORIGINAL POST
"I did get a chance to physically hold a Pedersoli Blue Ridge in a 50 caliber, flintlock, this past Saturday. It was a very used one, at a local gun shop and priced within $70 of a new one. :rolleyes: My second choice would be a Lyman Great Plains rifle, in a 50 caliber, percussion....but I'd prefer the long rifle."

These guns - either one - great out of the box ready to shoot guns for less than 800 bucks.

Last edited:
Back