• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter57

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have yet to physically handle a Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock rifle, but plan on making the trip to Cabela's, to do so, soon. I like the looks, lines and haven't heard/read anything about the rifle that would dissuade me from purchasing one. I have handled similar rifles, like the Tennessee Mountain rifle. This would be my first flintlock rifle and I'm interested in staying with a 50 caliber, vs. a 54 caliber, due to having owned 50 calibers in the past.

This rifle will be used for deer hunting, the occasional groundhog and as many muzzleloader quail walk style shooting events as I can find.
My only other "second choice" would be a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, also in flintlock and 50 caliber. As much good as I've heard about this rifle and it's accuracy, I just prefer the full stock vs. the half stock.

Having said the above, I'm open to suggestions about either rifle. Pros and Cons.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

my main hunting rifle is a Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle. It is a 54flintlock. I wanted a slow twist,,,mine is 1-65.I am under the impression the 50 is a 1x48 twist.. too fast for me.

@Bowhunter57, call your Cabelas to make sure they have one on display for you to handle. Inventory being what it is with the C-19 virus display models may be hard to find.
Thanks and I already have made the call. There are none in stock and they have to be special ordered (prepaid), to get one. :rolleyes: I don't think it has anything to do with C-19, rather a lack of stock due to a lack of interest with all of the inline MLs taking over.

Bowhunter57

I would think that with so many of the Italian manufacturing being shut down as Italy struggled to contain the Corona Virus that inventory was greatly depleted.
I was in a Cabelas last fall (pre Covid) and remember not seeing a single new side lock in the rack. And right now, at least around here, you are very late in the game if you want it for muzzleloader hunting season.

I have yet to physically handle a Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock rifle, but plan on making the trip to Cabela's, to do so, soon. I like the looks, lines and haven't heard/read anything about the rifle that would dissuade me from purchasing one. I have handled similar rifles, like the Tennessee Mountain rifle. This would be my first flintlock rifle and I'm interested in staying with a 50 caliber, vs. a 54 caliber, due to having owned 50 calibers in the past.

This rifle will be used for deer hunting, the occasional groundhog and as many muzzleloader quail walk style shooting events as I can find.
My only other "second choice" would be a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, also in flintlock and 50 caliber. As much good as I've heard about this rifle and it's accuracy, I just prefer the full stock vs. the half stock.

Having said the above, I'm open to suggestions about either rifle. Pros and Cons.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
I was originally looking at the Pendersoli Pennsylvania rifle and emailed Track of the Wolf about rear sight replacements. They recommended the Blue Ridge mainly because it has a better lock on it.

Hello, I hope you do not mind if I inquired BassPro/Cabela's about the way they are seling the Blue Ridge rifle and the availability. I received the following answer:
BPS SKU.: 3672522 CAB SKU..: 3672522 50CAL BLUE RIDGE FLINTLOCK we own 56 in stores and in DC’s we are not out of stock.

Model..: 010S26650C Size...: FLINTLOCK Color..: BLACK POWDER
Please note since there is warehouse inventory ALL stores can have that item transferred to them on their next truck for customers.
I hope it helps.

Hello, I hope you do not mind if I inquired BassPro/Cabela's about the way they are seling the Blue Ridge rifle and the availability.
MGA,
I don't mind, at all. I'm going to an archery shoot tomorrow, near Dundee, Michigan and will be stopping there to play 20 questions with someone, IN PERSON, about the Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle.

Bowhunter57

I would think that with so many of the Italian manufacturing being shut down as Italy struggled to contain the Corona Virus that inventory was greatly depleted.
Been trying to buy a Pedersoli Sharps for 6 months,lots of pretty stock photos on the big dealers websites.But that is what the gun is -a photo,most do not have them in stock.

Just keep in mind that the Blue Ridge flintlocks are not the best [the Locks].And ignition channel on both percussion and flintlocks is very fussy and needs to be cleaned very well.I have a Blue Ridge in .54 Percussion, their percussion lock seems very reliable.And if you don't use the set trigger to fire the gun ,the trigger pull on the front unset trigger is about 15 lbs!!

Just keep in mind that the Blue Ridge flintlocks are not the best [the Locks].And ignition channel on both percussion and flintlocks is very fussy and needs to be cleaned very well.I have a Blue Ridge in .54 Percussion, their percussion lock seems very reliable.And if you don't use the set trigger to fire the gun ,the trigger pull on the front unset trigger is about 15 lbs!!

Sorry to hear that about your Blue Ridge Lock and trigger’s.

I had totally the opposite experience.

The lock was excellent. Very easy on flint’s. Could shoot all day with just one flint. Sparked like crazy! Extremely reliable.

Front trigger unset drops the cock at 5 lbs. Trigger set adjusted to 2 lbs.

Fired every time I pulled the trigger. Extremely accurate.

Blue Ridge .54 flintlock.

I’ve won matches with that rifle.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I wonder if the the triggers have changed. I just got mine at the begging of the year. I think its a true double set. Mine wint fire unset and feels under a pound set. I like real light triggers couldnt be happier. Mine is very accurate and is as fast as a perfussion. Its also my first flintlock and couldnt be happier.

I wonder if the the triggers have changed. I just got mine at the begging of the year. I think its a true double set. Mine wint fire unset and feels under a pound set.

Not that I’m aware of my friend. Trigger’s should fire the rifle set or unset in any sequence. Double lever, double set triggers.

Also have Pedersoli’s Frontier and a Hatfield as well. They’re all the same when it comes to their triggers.

Why your Blue Ridge won’t fire with the trigger unset could be a number of things? Possibly the sear screw could be to tight in your lock? Something interfering with your front trigger blade making contact with the sear arm?

Hard to know without the rifle being in hand?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Wow. You guys are 100% right. I just went up and pulled it out and pullllllllledddd and it went off. The set trigger is perfect unset not so much. Well it went bang. That being said I love the rifle. For now it’s perfect. Until I have my custom Winchester VA style rifle built for me as a retirement present to myself it’s perfect.

Btw here’s my last group

Attachments

• 1303B86A-9978-46A7-8C1A-7937DAFC8F28.jpeg
    1303B86A-9978-46A7-8C1A-7937DAFC8F28.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 209
Marinekayak,
Where or from what vendor did you purchase your Blue Ridge rifle?

I'm in N.W. Ohio and both the Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas here, have not seen a Pedersoli rifle in 7+ years. Cabelas said they can't order them any more, since Bass Pro purchased them. Bass Pro recommended contacting other Pedersoli venders. :doh:
Trying to purchase one of these rifles has become nearly impossible and physically putting my hands on one first isn't going to happen. I had hopes of owning a long rifle, in a flintlock (my first) and in something with a roundball 1:66 twist.

I did get a chance to physically hold a Pedersoli Blue Ridge in a 50 caliber, flintlock, this past Saturday. It was a very used one, at a local gun shop and priced within $70 of a new one. :rolleyes: My second choice would be a Lyman Great Plains rifle, in a 50 caliber, percussion....but I'd prefer the long rifle.

I'm open to suggestions on this purchase. Otherwise, I may be doing without a muzzleloader.

Bowhunter57

Back