• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli 69 caliber musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

combat32

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought this one couple weeks ago unfired, date code is CF which I think makes it 2011 production. But I can't figure out which model it is, not quite Aunstrian 1798, not quite Charleville, not quite 1795 U.S.,
I figured someone here would know, thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210117_164319091(1).jpg
    PXL_20210117_164319091(1).jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 207
  • PXL_20210117_164258019(1).jpg
    PXL_20210117_164258019(1).jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 202
  • PXL_20210117_164331033(1).jpg
    PXL_20210117_164331033(1).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 165
I don't think Prussian, too many small differences, barrel bands, bayonet lug, rear sling swivel. Plus it's marked 17.5 mm on the barrel which is .689, one if my 69 round balls just slides in the bore.

That was a limited edition Spanish Musket produced by pedersoli. Its basically the 1763 ‘heavy’ charleville with brass furniture And a larger top jaw screw.

The original Spanish 1752/57 musket was much different, the lock was larger with a swans neck, flat faced and had a rigged frizzen face. The stock was more slender in the wrist and butt And forearm.

Thank you, no longer unfired, I put 10 rounds down range today, got some work to do to figure out a load it likes.

70 grains with a patched .678 round ball I found is best out of this gun, I recommend a parchment paper Patch. I have the 1763 Charleville which as the same barrel. I use 80 grains in a paper cartridge With a .66 ball for pretty good accuracy.

I think Pedersoli was catering to reenactors wanting to do a Spanish impression. It is my understanding it is essentially their Charleville musket with different markings on the lock, the Spanish-style ring on the top jaw screw, a modified trigger guard, and brass or brass-colored mountings. When these first came out, an owner of one said the mountings were of steel, with a brass-colored powder coat. His also had some sort of issue with the ramrod binding in the most forward barrel band. I would be interested in knowing if the mountings on yours are solid brass or plated steel (a magnet might give us the answer), and if they have fixed the problem with the ramrod binding in the barrel band.

I don't want to sound overly critical. The lock on my Charleville benefitted from a professional tune-up, but the musket was otherwise fine, out of the box. While this Spanish musket is not a true copy of any actual historical gun, I find it to be a very nice-looking piece. Even if it isn't strictly authentic, Pedersoli at least recognized the fact that there are 18th century Spanish reenactors out there.

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

I don't think Prussian, too many small differences, barrel bands, bayonet lug, rear sling swivel. Plus it's marked 17.5 mm on the barrel which is .689, one if my 69 round balls just slides in the bore.
just remember that it is a REPRODUCTION GUN! it could be anything. it is a MUZZLELOADER!

70 grains with a patched .678 round ball I found is best out of this gun, I recommend a parchment paper Patch. I have the 1763 Charleville which as the same barrel. I use 80 grains in a paper cartridge With a .66 ball for pretty good accuracy.
where do you get .66 RB'S from?

I tried a magnet on the bands, it sticks, so must be steel under the plating, I realize it's not historically accurate but I paid a ridiculous price for this musket and 3 other bp guns, couldn't pass it up.
Thanks for all the info, I'll just consider it a Charleville-ish musket and enjoy the heck out of it.

I tried a magnet on the bands, it sticks, so must be steel under the plating, I realize it's not historically accurate but I paid a ridiculous price for this musket and 3 other bp guns, couldn't pass it up.
Thanks for all the info, I'll just consider it a Charleville-ish musket and enjoy the heck out of it.
Thank you for checking that, and satisfying my curiosity. I went to the Dixie Gun Works website and found a very extensive customer review of this musket, and it turns out the fellow who wrote it was the gentleman who told me about the plated parts.

I suppose one could have the plating removed by a trophy shop, or some other outfit that deals with plated metals, if the plated parts were an issue. I believe at least some of the pre-1757 Spanish muskets were mounted in iron. That might reduce the resale value, though, if you ever wanted to sell it.

I think your musket is a beauty just as it is, and it is certainly no less authentic than most of the other production muzzleloaders we shoot. The fact that you got it for a good price makes it even better!

Notchy Bob

The authenticity issues are pretty apparent with most pedersoli muskets. They tend to liken the Spanish 52/57 musket to the 1763 Charleville, however the Spanish 52/57 musket is almost a copy of the 1754 Charleville and its dragoon Model.

However the key feature in Spanish Muskets was the grooved frizzen, there’s only one place that makes these, that’s the rifle Shoppe and it likely won’t fit the pedersoli charleville lock.

Just for comparison, here is a couple pics of an exact replica of the Spanish 1757 Musket. Like the original, it was .71 caliber. An interesting curiosity with Spanish muskets is their use of dome head screws on their butt plates versus flush mount. You even see this feature on original sporting guns from the period.

Rick
1757 Spanish Musket 001 (Medium).JPG
1757 Spanish Musket 013 (Medium).JPG
1757 Spanish Musket 009 (Medium).JPG
1757 Spanish Musket 014 (Medium).JPG
1757 Spanish Musket 005 (Medium).JPG

Back