• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli .58cal Harpers Ferry Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At the recent fall encampment I attended I got to shoot a flintlock pistol and became interested in doing some shooting with one of my own.
When I got home my son told me about a gun for sale in a nearby town and I am now in possession of a .58cal Pedersoli 1807 flintlock pistol. It is most likely a kit gun but not badly done though I had to do some tinkering.
Do any members shoot this style of hand gun?
LBL

This is my new pistol!

Attachments

• 3967198E-43E0-40B5-AD68-971CF426E433.jpeg
    3967198E-43E0-40B5-AD68-971CF426E433.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 141
I neglected to add the fact that the pistol is a Navy Arms which may mean it is not a kit gun. Did Navy Arms sell kits as well as finished guns?
After looking at the large stamped lettering on newer guns you have to look hard to find the limited stamping on this gun. I like the looks of less stamping and it does not state the caliber as far as I can see. The Pedersoli stamp on the tang is very small and faint.
LBL

I have found the pistol I have has a definite problem making sparks. It is not showering at all at times and making only random sparks when it makes them at all.
Tried new flints and angling the flint in the cock. Will have to do more experimenting to find the fix.
LBL

I have found the pistol I have has a definite problem making sparks. It is not showering at all at times and making only random sparks when it makes them at all.
Tried new flints and angling the flint in the cock. Will have to do more experimenting to find the fix.
LBL
More than likely you will have to harden frizzen

I once owned one back in the late 1960's. It was marked Centenial Arms. Barrel was left in the white. Traded it for custom powder horn while at Friendship back in the mid-1970's. Always thought it was a good looking pistol.
But I remember having the same problem with the lock producing sparks - reliably. Not sure about the later ones, but myself and others much later on thought that the lock geomotry was a bit off as designed from the Factory.

Rick

Had the pistol out and spent a while just snapping the lock on the gun empty. It seems to be throwing more sparks. I will play with it more and see if it continues.
The gun did not have much scratching on the frizzen and I think it was not shot much before I got it.
LBL

Changed the flints I am using to 3/4x3/4 English from TOW and it is making a good shower of sparks using the full face of the frizzen.
The recommended flint is not a correct size for this gun as it does not use the full face of the frizzen.
I still place a shim at the back of the flint to give it a better angle against the frizzen.
Hope to live fire sometime soon to determine if I have the fix.
LBL

Back