• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli .54 Kentucky Pistol Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Evans

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some advice on if I should add a under barrel lug on the Pedersoli Kentucky .54 kit, because there is only one small screw that attach the nose cap and stock to the barrel.

Jim, let me see if I understand...all that holds the barrel is the tang bolt on one end and a small screw that goes up through the nose cap and thin stock wood above it and into the bottom of the barrel, which I assume is not too deep or many threads holding it? Perhaps a picture or two so we could see what's there?

Hard to believe Pedersoli's designers and lawyers would let something that is potentially dangerous go out the door, but personally, I would not trust that, especially in a large bore. I'd want a pinned lug or at least a substantial barrel screw mount like they have on their Frontier rifle.

I have been shooting mine with the one screw for years with no problems. I don't use real heavy loads as a caveat here. 35 grains FFG Swiss, .535 ball and a .015 patch. 35 grains is the max load recommended by Pedersoli.

Dave

Jim, let me see if I understand...all that holds the barrel is the tang bolt on one end and a small screw that goes up through the nose cap and thin stock wood above it and into the bottom of the barrel, which I assume is not too deep or many threads holding it? Perhaps a picture or two so we could see what's there?

Hard to believe Pedersoli's designers and lawyers would let something that is potentially dangerous go out the door, but personally, I would not trust that, especially in a large bore. I'd want a pinned lug or at least a substantial barrel screw mount like they have on their Frontier rifle.
Spikebuck
You are correct on your understanding,
wish I could post picture's , but I don't belong to any of the photo groups.

Spikebuck
You are correct on your understanding,
wish I could post picture's , but I don't belong to any of the photo groups.
Like Ames says, you don't have to belong to a photo storing group to post your pictures here. If you have digital pictures of something stored on your computer or whatever your using, all you have to do is to go to the picture, then "COPY" it. Then come back to the forum and "PASTE" it into your next post.
Here is a link to an explanation that gives several ways of posting a picture on our forum.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/posting-a-picture-on-the-forum.115183/

Like some have said, they didn't have any problem using the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol but when I built mine, I had seen several posts that said the thin piece of the stock that is trapped between the barrel and the muzzlecap had sheared off when they fired their pistol.

Based on this, I installed a barrel underlug and drilled a pin hole thru the stock and underlug behind the rear of the nose cap. (It's in the center of the star.)
I might add, I restocked the barrel and lock, changed the trigger guard and added some decoration to it as well. It ended up looking like this.

p01.jpg

P02.jpg

Spikebuck
You can see from the plan's of the one small screw.
Zonie
Thank's for the info and the photo of your pistol.And thanks for the photo posting guide.
fullsizeoutput_7af.jpeg

Spikebuck
You can see from the plan's of the one small screw.
Zonie
Thank's for the info and the photo of your pistol.And thanks for the photo posting guide.
View attachment 21640

What did you decide to do? I have a kit on the way and before I start I’d like to add a tennon to the barrel or the two pins up front. I may even do both. I plan to use the pistol as a backup shot while hog hunting and will likely keep it loaded hot as a result. If it shoots well to 25 yards I may even try hunting with it.

-Jake

What did you decide to do? I have a kit on the way and before I start I’d like to add a tennon to the barrel or the two pins up front. I may even do both. I plan to use the pistol as a backup shot while hog hunting and will likely keep it loaded hot as a result. If it shoots well to 25 yards I may even try hunting with it.

-Jake
I added 2 pins ,drilled in 1/2 inch, cut them off flush.

Attachments

• 3BC5175C-5772-4D01-9D3B-A2F234248561_1_201_a.jpeg
    3BC5175C-5772-4D01-9D3B-A2F234248561_1_201_a.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 101
I’m in the process of building the same kit and plan on placing two pins through the end as shown. There is a U tube video showing it in detail.
Glenn

I got my what I am pretty sure is a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol over 50 yr=ears ago (1969). It wasn't a kit. I took it apart the other day when I converted it to Flintlock from percussion. I bought a Pedersoli lock from Dixie. The bottom line is it just has the nose cap and tang bolt and has been fine. No signs of stress. In my youth, I used to load it pretty hot because I didn't know better.

It came out well and shoots well. I’ve made over 800fps with a 45gr charge. Won’t go any higher than that.

Assembled.
56F5862C-C23E-47E2-9664-66FDFC37E347.jpeg

About a dozen shots at 15 yards freehand.
85D3170B-10EB-4943-966A-1D1E58B2F8C2.jpeg

-Jake

Latest posts

Back