• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli .45 Kentucky Standard Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
While at the Berryville Muzzle Shoot last weekend I ran across this nice Pedersoli flintlock. I thought for the asking price there must be something wrong with it.

I checked it over as best I could and a couple of gun builders I trust thought it was OK so I plunked down my $225 and brought it home, along with an original fowling piece. It has a 1:48 twist barrel and was proofed in 2005.

hvq979.jpg

34gx56f.jpg

ipo6sj.jpg

Today I started working up a load with a .445 cast ball, .10 & .15 patches with oil lube and 45-50gr of Goex fffg. There was a stiff breeze blowing from right to left. Had some called flyers due to a very light set trigger. Ignition was instantaneous and had only one flash in the pan after about 10 shots without picking the vent.

r77q6v.jpg

Distance 32 yards. All in all I’m happy with her but will continue after the best load.

in7gu8.jpg

Good deal on a nice rifle! I have one just like it and found it to be an accurate shooter with 65 grains GOEX 3fg under a .440 ball with .015 patch. My lock has always had a real sweet tooth for flints though. Eats them up pretty quick.

Anyhow, good luck and enjoy your lucky find. :thumbsup:

I think you got a great rifle for a great deal. Well done. Hope it brings you lots of joy and if not, sell it for a profit!

That's the 36" barrel gun with a set trigger, right? Nice! A pretty hefty but manageable gun.

One of my concerns was the Pedersoli lock. I have heard that the frizzens are not the best. One of the builders who looked at it said the lock is fine and the cock had been tuned for the correct flint angle. With the 20 shots I ran through her, I didn't have to knapp the flint once.

Have seen a lot of those over the years...They are all very accurate rifles. You did VERY well. Tom

bpd303 said:
The barrel is 40 1/2 inches from the breech plug.

If that's the case, then it is the Pedersoli Pennsylvania "Dixie" Rifle, because of the patchbox!

The last one I saw picked up was Liver Eating Johnson here on the forums a month or so ago. And His was very nice and a steal! Yours is also a very nice rifle... but for an absolute steal! :thumbsup:

Might classify it as ... GTS... Grand Theft Smokepole! :rotf:

Congradulations on your find :thumbsup: I have a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge/Frontier flinter. Favorite load is .440 ball,.018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil and 70 grains of FFFg Goex. .45's are so sweet.

My pedersoli ate flints as well, until I "weakened" the frizzen spring know it works beautifully. :hmm: :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rusty_Nail said:
bpd303 said:
The barrel is 40 1/2 inches from the breech plug.

If that's the case, then it is the Pedersoli Pennsylvania "Dixie" Rifle, because of the patchbox!

That's sorta why I asked -- looked a little long, etc. I have a Pedersoli Kentucky (with matching pistol) and effectively a few Frontier's (though two are actually Hatfields) I can just manage well, but I cannot handle the longer (nor as interested in the later) too-front-heavy-to-me Pennsylvania in offhand shooting.

Although I hate hearing it I don't mind saying a few inches make a big difference...

I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania flinter in .45 cal. Mine likes 70 grains of 2f, .440 RB with .015 patch. The gun shoots way more accurately than I do. I use 2f in all my larger guns so I just worked up the 2f load to keep things simple.

That's a pedersoli Dixie penn rifle the frontier has a 39 inch barrel, no patch box. The Kentucky rifle comes stock with a single trigger, and the standard penn rifle has no patch box. The gun kit was most likely bought from Dixie gun works.

I have the exact same rifle, it is a pedersoli dixie penn. in 45 caliber. I love mine. You got a great deal on that gun. Great gun, shoot it and enjoy it.

Back