Pedersoli .45 Kentucky Standard Flintlock Rifle

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
While at the Berryville Muzzle Shoot last weekend I ran across this nice Pedersoli flintlock. I thought for the asking price there must be something wrong with it.

I checked it over as best I could and a couple of gun builders I trust thought it was OK so I plunked down my $225 and brought it home, along with an original fowling piece. It has a 1:48 twist barrel and was proofed in 2005.

Today I started working up a load with a .445 cast ball, .10 & .15 patches with oil lube and 45-50gr of Goex fffg. There was a stiff breeze blowing from right to left. Had some called flyers due to a very light set trigger. Ignition was instantaneous and had only one flash in the pan after about 10 shots without picking the vent.

Distance 32 yards. All in all I’m happy with her but will continue after the best load.

RADeO

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Good deal on a nice rifle! I have one just like it and found it to be an accurate shooter with 65 grains GOEX 3fg under a .440 ball with .015 patch. My lock has always had a real sweet tooth for flints though. Eats them up pretty quick.

Anyhow, good luck and enjoy your lucky find. :thumbsup:

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I think you got a great rifle for a great deal. Well done. Hope it brings you lots of joy and if not, sell it for a profit!

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
That's the 36" barrel gun with a set trigger, right? Nice! A pretty hefty but manageable gun.

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One of my concerns was the Pedersoli lock. I have heard that the frizzens are not the best. One of the builders who looked at it said the lock is fine and the cock had been tuned for the correct flint angle. With the 20 shots I ran through her, I didn't have to knapp the flint once.

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The barrel is 40 1/2 inches from the breech plug. The balance point is right at the rear ram rod pipe. I didn't shoot it offhand but it holds on target really well.

gunmaker43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Have seen a lot of those over the years...They are all very accurate rifles. You did VERY well. Tom

Rusty_Nail

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
bpd303 said:
The barrel is 40 1/2 inches from the breech plug.
If that's the case, then it is the Pedersoli Pennsylvania "Dixie" Rifle, because of the patchbox!

The last one I saw picked up was Liver Eating Johnson here on the forums a month or so ago. And His was very nice and a steal! Yours is also a very nice rifle... but for an absolute steal! :thumbsup:

Might classify it as ... GTS... Grand Theft Smokepole! :rotf:

cowpoke1955

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Congradulations on your find :thumbsup: I have a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge/Frontier flinter. Favorite load is .440 ball,.018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil and 70 grains of FFFg Goex. .45's are so sweet.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
My pedersoli ate flints as well, until I "weakened" the frizzen spring know it works beautifully. :hmm: :hmm:

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When I went to Pedresoli's web site trying to ID it, I never thought to check barrel length. Measuring from the muzzle to the back of the breech block is right on at 41 5/8 in. Thanks for the correct info.

Rusty_Nail

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
Rusty_Nail said:
bpd303 said:
The barrel is 40 1/2 inches from the breech plug.
If that's the case, then it is the Pedersoli Pennsylvania "Dixie" Rifle, because of the patchbox!
That's sorta why I asked -- looked a little long, etc. I have a Pedersoli Kentucky (with matching pistol) and effectively a few Frontier's (though two are actually Hatfields) I can just manage well, but I cannot handle the longer (nor as interested in the later) too-front-heavy-to-me Pennsylvania in offhand shooting.

Although I hate hearing it I don't mind saying a few inches make a big difference...

Muskeg Stomper

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania flinter in .45 cal. Mine likes 70 grains of 2f, .440 RB with .015 patch. The gun shoots way more accurately than I do. I use 2f in all my larger guns so I just worked up the 2f load to keep things simple.

stinkyfeet

50 Cal.
Reaction score
That's a pedersoli Dixie penn rifle the frontier has a 39 inch barrel, no patch box. The Kentucky rifle comes stock with a single trigger, and the standard penn rifle has no patch box. The gun kit was most likely bought from Dixie gun works.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have the exact same rifle, it is a pedersoli dixie penn. in 45 caliber. I love mine. You got a great deal on that gun. Great gun, shoot it and enjoy it.