• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli 20g flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter72

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Just thought I'd share some initial experiences with my new 20g flinter SxS.
I've owned 2 flintlocks previously and was put off by the incessant flinching.
I only bought this gun a couple of weeks ago as I thought it would be a lot of fun.
Plenty of reading was done on this site to try and get past the flinching and to get the best from a flinter.
I know a few/lot on here aren't a fan if this gun fo what ever reason but I'm not chasing historical accuracy and I think it's a beautiful gun.
So the plan was to just get a few shots down range and get a "feel" for the gun.
70gns 2p, 1oz #7 and a grain or 2 of 4f in the pans. Ignition was fast, yeah I still flinched but not as bad as I'd expected.
Only got 1 flash in the pan and a few failed to ignite the pan but this was after a dozen or so shots. Cleaned the frizzen and flint regularly with alcohol but I need to get a touch hole pick for next time. Overall, A lot of fun and next time I will work on load development.
Pete

Attachments

• 20200922_105856.jpg
    20200922_105856.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 158
  • FB_IMG_1600746707750.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600746707750.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 141
  • FB_IMG_1600746710742.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600746710742.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 126
The only thing that most folks think is wrong with that shotgun is the type of "checkering" they used on it.

Had they chosen to use a diamond pattern or a "skip line diamond pattern" like the one shown below, they would have a winner.
FordneyWeb.jpg

2) The Flinches - everybody has had them. The same oldtimers told me that it takes about a 1,000 dry fires to get rid of a bad case of the flinches. That may be an exageration, but then it may depend on how bad the flinch is. The idea is to use the wooden flint in your gun and put a small mark on the wall over the TV. Stand there and watch TV while you practice dry firing at the mark. After a while your body and mind gets used to the gun not hurting or the flash being scary.

flintlock shooting tips? it help me a lot.. still do it some time's
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/forums/flintlock-rifles.11/post-thread

The only thing that most folks think is wrong with that shotgun is the type of "checkering" they used on it.

Had they chosen to use a diamond pattern or a "skip line diamond pattern" like the one shown below, they would have a winner.
I like the checkering pattern used on this SxS, but I can also understand why other people don't. Unfortunately, given the lack of options for flint SXS shotguns, it is what it is. I'm slowly resigning myself to the idea that if I ever want a 10 gauge flint SxS, I'm going to have to make it myself.

Latest posts

Back