• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli 20 gauge flintlock double shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkarp429

40 Cal
Reaction score
Got one on the way. I have read every post on this forum that pertains to flintlock double barrel shotguns that I could find. I got a lot of good info. Seeking any advice for shooting this gun at “sporting clay” courses. Currently shooting 12 ga Navy Arms percussion at a sporting clay course in Lakeland Fl. Any not so obvious nuance between flintlock and percussion will be appreciated. I also shoot flintlock rifles and pistols. anxious to get shooting, it took a while for me to adopt a system for loading the 12 ga percussion while moving from station to station on the course.

I should have asked a better question. Is anybody else shooting thier front loading shotguns at sporting clay courses. seeking to discuss your experience there. So far, I enjoy shooting the 12 ga percussion on the course.

I should have asked a better question. Is anybody else shooting thier front loading shotguns at sporting clay courses. seeking to discuss your experience there. So far, I enjoy shooting the 12 ga percussion on the course.
Well that I can answer. I do very much enjoy shooting my Pedersoli SxS 12 gauge percussion shot gun at the sporting clays range. My shooting style is to shoot "right at" the clay, which really means that I am moving in front of the clay for my lead, while perceiving that I pull the trigger while on the target. There is a very small delay compared to a modern shotgun that has me in front of the clay with my muzzleloader (plus it swings so easy). I slow my swing and crush the targets nicely. I imagine for me that this would be more pronounced with a flintlock.

I shoot 5 Stand in the summers at a club in Vermont. (Techinally, I run the 5 Stand so the course is set for moderate distance targets 15 to 30 yards). I occasionally shoot with a sporting clays group that does 2 50-target rounds, the first at moderate ranges, the second at longer ranges. I just shoot the first round. I have broken some 40 plus yard targets there, and have also missed them. I was able to take part in the group because several shooters had shot skeet with me--I would shoot two shots at each station (16 total), and could keep up loading so that I did not slow the squad down, at least not much. It has all been good fun.

Well that I can answer. I do very much enjoy shooting my Pedersoli SxS 12 gauge percuss
I shoot 5 Stand in the summers at a club in Vermont. (Techinally, I run the 5 Stand so the course is set for moderate distance targets 15 to 30 yards). I occasionally shoot with a sporting clays group that does 2 50-target rounds, the first at moderate ranges, the second at longer ranges. I just shoot the first round. I have broken some 40 plus yard targets there, and have also missed them. I was able to take part in the group because several shooters had shot skeet with me--I would shoot two shots at each station (16 total), and could keep up loading so that I did not slow the squad down, at least not much. It has all been good fun.

I have realized quickly that 5 stand and front loaders don’t mix unless all the the shooters are muzzleloaders. The pace of 5 stand is obviously too fast .

I love it when shooters walk up to me on the sporting clay course and ask about the gun. Always glad to demonstrate and let the curious fire the gun.
Gonna be more fun with the flintlock 😀
I have to admit that I enjoy the attention as well. Though, I would still enjoy shooting my shotgun if no one gave me a second glance.

The kind folks let me in on a five stand shoot in Myakka Fl when it was too cold for the regulars. They timed me. I could load two barrels ready to shoot in 3 1/2 min.

I’m lucky in that my club‘s clays fields are all automated so I can go out by myself and shoot skeet/trap/5-stand/sporting.

Since you already shoot a percussion gun, I’m assuming you have your loading system worked out to get thru a round. One thing you need to figure out is how you will handle the inevitable flintlock glitch (dull/loose/misaligned flint). Not a big deal if shooting by yourself, but in a squad of non flintlock shooters it could cause some heart burn. Can you fix a problem from the shooting station or do you need to move off? If so how do you maneuver safely and keep everybody happy with your gun handling? I’ve found that a pair of frizzen stalls tends to put the uninitiated at ease. And don’t leave your tools behind or you will be walking back to the last station a lot.

Another oddball hazard is the amateur photographer. For some reason they will suddenly pop up next to you, i-phone in hand, just in time to catch a face full of vent blast. Make sure you warn everybody.

As you can probably tell, my main issues are in dealing with other shooters who are unfamiliar with flintlocks and not so much with the flintlock itself.

As far as the shooting itself, as was mentioned, a flintlock will need an adjustment in lead technique if you use anything other than maintained lead. Still haven’t figured out how to reliably hit a rabbit target.

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. I'll look for the thread from another member that gave a report on his experience with his flintlock shotgun and post if I can find it.

What I have done is alternate shooters. In other words, instead of my 3 pairs or 5 pairs from one station I have an agreement with another shooter on my squad to alternate. In other words, I shoot a pair and step out of the box to reload, while another shooter steps in and shoots their pair. Then I shoot another pair... and so on. This is not permitted in competition, but for casual shooting or if you and your "partner" are not turning in a score card, it keeps the line moving. Nobody is waiting for me to load and I'm not in a big rush due to pressure.

I've shot one round of sporting clays in my life--and that was with a Ketland flint double I was using for upland game that year. I was there because the course owner had been asked if a shooter could compete with an ML shotgun, and I was the "test subject". No one was concerned by my score, they were just looking at my times, and any problems I had.

No mechanical problems with the gun or rig. I arbitrarily changed flints after 25 shots from each barrel, but still 100 shots with no ignition problems is pretty decent. I had my usual bag set-up, so everything was where I expected it to be. I did have extra powder/wads/shot in a box, but that was no more difficult to manage than the boxes of shells other shooters carry. (Actually, my shot pouch, etc and box of supplies was less than I've seen others haul in.)

I'm still not sure of all the rules and strategy. I just did what I was told, and focused on shooting. Then again, I seldom shoot trap or skeet so I have to do the same there. I think if I wanted to do sporting clays on a regular basis I'd go as an observer for a few rounds just to figure it all out.

As for the shooting, I loaded the way I always do. I averaged about 1:45-1:50 to load both barrels.

If I were going to do it on a regular basis, I think I'd want a bigger bore. For this game, I didn't like the patterns or payload from my little 20 gauge. I'd probably step up a size in shot, from #6 to # 7 1/2. And I think I'd want the gun either jug choked/backbored to give me Improved (or maybe Skeet 1) in the right barrel and Modified in the left. If I needed patterns spread more for close targets, I'd load spreaders. I'd probably also replace the tiny little bead with a larger (1/8" or larger) bead.

I'm baffled/befuddled/flabbergasted by the comments about spectatators/other competitors asking questions, taking pictures, etc. Why do you put up with that? If I'm shooting such a game (or on the line), I'm there to practice or as a competitor. I'm not there as "an ambassador of our sport". (Do I have to say that in a hushed and reverential tone of voice?)

Tolerating that nonsense creates an expectation that it is OK to interfere with people while they are shooting. It is going to get someone hurt or killed. WHERE ARE THE RANGE/SAFETY OFFICERS????? And if none are present, why aren't you pointing this out yourselves????? The time for that is after the match is over, when you can focus on explaining what you're doing and why.

There is no other venue of the shooting sports where competitors are expected to do PR while competing!

When necessary, I ask my fellow squad-members to hold questions til after the match, and explain that this is a gun. "Bad things come out of the holes on this end. A six foot blast of flame and ejecta come out the touchholes here, hot enough to gas-cut steel or cook an eye til it pops. Please don't stand in front of me, or beside me, when I shoot. "

I’m lucky in that my club‘s clays fields are all automated so I can go out by myself and shoot skeet/trap/5-stand/sporting.

Since you already shoot a percussion gun, I’m assuming you have your loading system worked out to get thru a round. One thing you need to figure out is how you will handle the inevitable flintlock glitch (dull/loose/misaligned flint). Not a big deal if shooting by yourself, but in a squad of non flintlock shooters it could cause some heart burn. Can you fix a problem from the shooting station or do you need to move off? If so how do you maneuver safely and keep everybody happy with your gun handling? I’ve found that a pair of frizzen stalls tends to put the uninitiated at ease. And don’t leave your tools behind or you will be walking back to the last station a lot.

Another oddball hazard is the amateur photographer. For some reason they will suddenly pop up next to you, i-phone in hand, just in time to catch a face full of vent blast. Make sure you warn everybody.

As you can probably tell, my main issues are in dealing with other shooters who are unfamiliar with flintlocks and not so much with the flintlock itself.

As far as the shooting itself, as was mentioned, a flintlock will need an adjustment in lead technique if you use anything other than maintained lead. Still haven’t figured out how to reliably hit a rabbit target.
View attachment 124137

think I’ll stick with the sporting clay course until I find a few other front stuffers to do five stand with.

We shoot 5 stand with the clay throwing machine locked to only throw the clay`s straight forward 50 - 60 meters. According to the MLAIC rules. Good fun and we do the same with our vintage black powder cartridge shotguns. We do arrange shootings on regular bases. Great fun.

Back