• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 20 gauge flintlock double shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I received my 20 gauge like this, missing butt plate, of course Dixie is going to get me another one after I ship this one back. so disappointed.

Attachments

• 8FE00D28-4D95-4497-9540-45E14CDC4E94.jpeg
    8FE00D28-4D95-4497-9540-45E14CDC4E94.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 31
:doh:It seems that guns from Dixie are missing parts, wouldn't be checked before shipping
I called after I placed the order online and asked them to check the gun for “obvious imperfections” before shipping. I believe they are going to make it right in the end. But so much for my plans this weekend. I guess I will volunteer for “work day” at my muzzleloader club I am joining, instead of shooting.

Got one on the way. I have read every post on this forum that pertains to flintlock double barrel shotguns that I could find. I got a lot of good info. Seeking any advice for shooting this gun at “sporting clay” courses. Currently shooting 12 ga Navy Arms percussion at a sporting clay course in Lakeland Fl. Any not so obvious nuance between flintlock and percussion will be appreciated. I also shoot flintlock rifles and pistols. anxious to get shooting, it took a while for me to adopt a system for loading the 12 ga percussion while moving from station to station on the course.
Envious of your latest acquisition, congratulations.

My little flintlock habits:

I like a touch-hole that is 0.061-0.063. This seems to give me nice consistent ignition, shot to shot. I have a muslin cloth that I tie around a strap on my shooting bag or around my powder horn, and I use this to wipe clean the frizzen, pan, and remove built up powder residue from the flint between each shot. Just before I prime the pan, I always pick the touch-hole so that I can feel the powder granuals, this ensures that the opening is clear…and that I actually did put powder down the bore.

I have become acquainted with a gentleman in my area, that is incredibly knowledgeable on muzzleloaders. He’s been building them for the better part of 40+ years. I recently had a modification project for him. He took an old Dixie Tennessee Mountain rifle that I had picked up at a local rendezvous and re-barreled it to 0.45 calibre with a 36 inch barrel. While he was working on this project, he completely tuned the flintlock on that gun…OMG. The ignition on that flintlock is so incredibly fast, I did not think it possible.

Shoot your gun for a couple months, then see if you can find a gunsmith to tune your locks…yeah, amazing. I’m kind of a penny-pincher…One by one I’ll be having each of my flintlocks tuned. I would say food for thought….

Rock Home, Funny, you mention lock tuning. I’m not really happy with the lock geometry on this gun. Left side frizzen spring is longer and has a slightly different bend than the right hand side. Flints are going strike high on both frizzens as well. Taking it out tomorrow and will see how the locks perform. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Well, took out the 20 gauge flintlock side by side today for some shooting at a sporting clay course in Lakeland Fl. I found out quickly that my circle fly over shot cards are too small for my gun. I could not get a good vacuum seal and pellets would roll out if barrel was turned down. So instead of my usual of powder, overshot card, lubed fiber wad, shot, over shot card, that I use in my 12ga, I had to improvise. Stuck with 70 grains ffg And 1/8 nitro card, then 1 oz 7 /12 shot, 1/4 inch lubed fiber wad in right barrel. And whole 1/2 inch lubed fiber wad in left barrel. The whole wad in the left kept the load secure after firing the right. And the 1/2 in cut in half the right was enough lube to keep shooting. Didn’t need any over shot cards at all.
I am not an experienced clay shooter. But hitting about 50/50 of the clays with a flintlock for me now is enough to keep me shooting.

I’m thinking that maybe my 20 is actually a 19. Gonna try some 19 ga cards if I can get some, my source of supplies is out of stock on 19 gauge supplies Right now.

Last edited:
I have realized quickly that 5 stand and front loaders don’t mix unless all the the shooters are muzzleloaders. The pace of 5 stand is obviously too fast .
Generally speaking, I agree with you. However, where I shoot folks are very kind about shooting with me, probably because I worked my butt off for about 7 years to keep their program from dying. At the range that does sporting clays, they slip me in for two shots when I've reloaded.

I purchased one of the Pedersoli double twenty flintlocks from Dixie, and returned it due to the locks. One was remarkably different from the other, and looked like an apprentice had assembled it. One pan was ground out to make the touch hole in the right place (the hole was too low.) Lovely to hold and look at, but the frizzens looked like the ears of a curious spaniel; one up, one down. for the kind of money the gun costs, I did not feel it should have those flaws. Jo at Dixie advised that they did not have another available that would meet my expectations, so I assume they are all made with similar "traits."

ADK Bigfoot

Got one on the way. I have read every post on this forum that pertains to flintlock double barrel shotguns that I could find. I got a lot of good info. Seeking any advice for shooting this gun at “sporting clay” courses. Currently shooting 12 ga Navy Arms percussion at a sporting clay course in Lakeland Fl. Any not so obvious nuance between flintlock and percussion will be appreciated. I also shoot flintlock rifles and pistols. anxious to get shooting, it took a while for me to adopt a system for loading the 12 ga percussion while moving from station to station on the course.

Make sure any close bystanders are well away from the sides and behind the vents on both sides so they don’t get burned by the vent blast.
Also, dealing with an additional flintlock on the other side of the gun will slow you down significantly.

Back