• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

pedersoli 1861 Colt Reproduction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By all means! I believe it’d be real hard to get too many black powder shooters. Pedersoli generally are a good build.

I have a Pedersoli 1863 Springfield which is very similar to their 1861 Colt rifle.

I remember when you could buy these from Cabelas catalog 20 years ago or so.

I honestly got it relatively cheap as a "beater" but it shoots as well as any other 3-band Rifle-Musket. Pedersoli did a good job on these, fit , finish and lock mechanics are as good as an original.

It had been owned by a Skirmish shooter and was heavily used , and has some nice "patina". Leaned up against a wall you would think it was an original.

My only complaint is Pedersoli put the rear sight on off center so I removed it and put a Trapdoor rear sight on it.

When did Pedersoli make a Colt rifle musket repro? I can't find anything about one.

I don't know when they started but I last saw them in the mid-late 90's in Cabela's catalogs because I used to ogle all the percussion revolvers.

A guy at a gun show had one and tried telling me some BS that "Colt actually used the old tooling and made these in the 90's" I'm like yeah man that Italian date code is sure curious though.

Chiappa used to make an "1861 Special Musket" Dixie I think is still selling NOS ones. They can't call it a Colt but it's supposed to be.

This guy also mistakenly thinks Colt made them but it shows the rifle.

Pedersoli added barrel band retaining springs and made the "1863 Springfield " it is the exact same weapon without the Colt markings and a lesser figured stock. Without being able to see mine the hammer may be a bit different but likely not. It looks like my 1863.

I believe Pedersoli marketed these as collector/display pieces, only so many were made they were a limited run. It was thought if you wanted to shoot you could just get an 1861 or 63 in their "standard" line.

Last edited:
Armisport made the ones for Colt, or at least the parts for Colt and they may have been assembled here. They also made Amoskeag and EG Lamson 1861 Special repros for Chattahoochee Arms. I really don't know of Pedersoli ever making any.

Last edited:
Unless you need it for Re-Enacting, if you want a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield I would go with their CS Richmond. It's the exact same rifle I just think the brass fittings and high hump lock plate look better.

Back