• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli 1805 Harper's Ferry Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granth

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all.
I recently bought a Pedersoli 1805 Harper's Ferry Pistol off Dixie Gun Works. I was just wondering about y'alls recommendations on charge, patch thickness and flint size. Thanks!

RH0225.png

Hello all.
I recently bought a Pedersoli 1805 Harper's Ferry Pistol off Dixie Gun Works. I was just wondering about y'alls recommendations on charge, patch thickness and flint size. Thanks!

View attachment 144766
The Dixie catalog has a section recommending charges & sizes for all their products. The flints are usually just called 'pistol size', you see them sold as musket, pistol, etc. size. I have an older one of these that I 'aged', as it looked really modern. They're handsome!

The Dixie catalog has a section recommending charges & sizes for all their products. The flints are usually just called 'pistol size', you see them sold as musket, pistol, etc. size. I have an older one of these that I 'aged', as it looked really modern. They're handsome!
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Also, how does it shoot? I've heard issues with lock geometry on some Pedersoli flinters.

I have one. I shoot .570 round balls from Hornady with at .010 lubed patch from Ox-yoke. I use 30g of fffG BP as the main charge and a little squirt of 3g or so of 4f in the "pan". it shoots fairly well. It does seem to be hard on flints and rounds the edge over very quickly. I think this is because no matter how I adjust the flint, it seems to be hitting the frizzed at close to a 90* angle. I'm working on adjusting that. Also be aware that if you use the .570 balls like I do, you are going to need to swab the barrel after about 2-3 shots, or you won't get the next one in.

Latest posts

Back