• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 12g smooth bore open cylinder rb ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamper88

32 Cal
Reaction score
How are you guys , new to this and I just got a percussion 12g smoothbore open cylinder no choke shotgun. I’m wanting to shoot round ball from it and trying to figure out how and what size ball and size patch, my bore is .720 dia

And also would like to shoot buck shot.
Basically I’m not green black powder but am to a black powder shotgun I know about the powder ect can anyone guide me before I order wrong stuff thanks in advanced

There is no magic bullet for what you want to do. Pretty straight forward.

Find a ball and patch combination that will keep the ball from bouncing along the walls of the bore. It doesn't need to be a super tight fit because you're not trying to fill the rifling or achieve twist.

In my .690 smoothbore I'm using a .662 ball and a .015 patch. Gives me .692. Works great.

If you can find a .690 ball and some .018 patches, you're golden. Just keep juggling the math between available balls and available patches until you find a workable combination.

Good luck.

A Pedersoli "12 ga" can run from really being a 13 ga to an 11 ga. Yes, measure the bore carefully, trying multiple moulds can be expensive. For my "12 ga." Brown Bess I used a .715" mould. Others here have reported using larger or smaller balls. My SxS "12 ga." Ped. shotgun was actually a 14 ga. I never tried round balls in it.

Yeah I’m going to mic it to make sure , but says it’s .720 bore so we’ll see guess I just have to mess with stuff n see what’s what - shooting buck shot should be interesting see how that goes too

I found a 80cal .10 patch with the .715 ball fits good so I’m going that route - I’ll seehow it shoots, and mess with the buckshot - but I figured it’ll be a good lil turkey gun/ small game if I can shoot the round balls decent then I’ll use it for deer n hog

Back