• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli 12 gauge chokes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello
Are the screw in chokes really with the hassle they seem to give people when loading? Limiting them it seems to mainly felt wads? I have no first hand experience with them only what I’ve read. I’d like to use it for rabbit and turkey and have no problems limiting my range because of a cylinder bore or modified (seems most common configuration in newer shotguns)
If I did buy a screw in choke version could I replace the tighter chokes with a cylinder choke to have a bit easier time loading as well as using a patched round ball? Maybe screw in version would offer more versatility?
I am also looking at the pedersoli Mortimer shotgun but is really out of my price range without the wife talking to a lawyer. Smoothbores have really peaked my interest lately and you guys are solely to blame! (And some well put together u tube videos)
Thanks
Nick

Hello
Are the screw in chokes really with the hassle they seem to give people when loading? Limiting them it seems to mainly felt wads? I have no first hand experience with them only what I’ve read. I’d like to use it for rabbit and turkey and have no problems limiting my range because of a cylinder bore or modified (seems most common configuration in newer shotguns)
If I did buy a screw in choke version could I replace the tighter chokes with a cylinder choke to have a bit easier time loading as well as using a patched round ball? Maybe screw in version would offer more versatility?
I am also looking at the pedersoli Mortimer shotgun but is really out of my price range without the wife talking to a lawyer. Smoothbores have really peaked my interest lately and you guys are solely to blame! (And some well put together u tube videos)
Thanks
Nick
It's not a traditional thing but so isnt a vehicle to drive to the place of hunting, relatively!
If your one of them that thinks one should use a wad associated with shotgun shells then the chokes are a pain!
If your like me and others that think outside the box you will adapt to them.
A stack of thin cards make for an ample wad and curl past the chokes and are righted by the rammer.
So does leather and if all else fails so does scrunched up paper, tow or similar.
And ofcourse you can purchase cylinder chokes too.

I have the Pedersoli Classic SxS in .12 gauge with screw in chokes. I use cylinder bore, modified and improved cylinder for all of my loads so far. I can load with no issues in those tubes. I use overshot cards, cut fiber cushion wads and the ox yoke wads. I’m still working on my loads, but so far this has worked for me for deer and squirrel loads. I’ll be exploring Turkey loads soon and was going to also explore the Skychief load mentioned in this forum. I’ve read that some use full or tighter chokes and unscrew the chokes to load then reinstall. I use two Carlson brand steel rated cylinder bore tubes to shoot a patched .690” round ball. I’ve been told to be certain you are careful using patched round ball with choke tubes and that they must be concentric. I went with reputable steel rated cylinder bore tubes for this reason. I’m just learning but there are several on here that can pitch in with their expertise. Do a lot of research. Good luck!

I have the dixie gun works 10ga
No screw in chokes.
My mod barrel is a turkey killing machine out to 30/35 yards. I tend to stay under 30 as my goal.
The cyl barrel is a 25 and under barrel. It too has killed a number of turkeys

if you look at it like a normal shotgun you wont be limiting yourself. If you compare it a xxxxtra full choke with tss at 70/80 yards, than its limiting a little.

i opted no screwins because i didnt want to mess with unscrewing chokes or always needing felt. I also liked the traditional browned barrels.

I do not consider choke in itself to be a hinderance. I do think choke tubes suck, even on modern guns. They always work loose, yet they seize in so easily. The first time you forget to take them out for cleaning, they will become permanent fixed chokes. In modern guns with smokeless powder you can get away with it for a while, but even then, many guns ultimately end up fixed chokes without regular cleaning.

I really wish manufacturers would finally get over their obsession with them.

I do not consider choke in itself to be a hinderance. I do think choke tubes suck, even on modern guns. They always work loose, yet they seize in so easily. The first time you forget to take them out for cleaning, they will become permanent fixed chokes. In modern guns with smokeless powder you can get away with it for a while, but even then, many guns ultimately end up fixed chokes without regular cleaning.

I really wish manufacturers would finally get over their obsession with them.
Their main role is to tempt folk that honestly think more is better.

When ever I have owned them I never have the right one in 🤦‍♂️.
I just sold a like new multichoke shotgun to fund my latest muzzleloader with cylinder bores 🙂

I’m kind of at the point where I don’t think either way would be a bad choice just pro and cons to consider. Now 12 or 20 gauge that’s a rabbit hole to go down 🤣. I’ve read the previous discussions you guys have had on the subject and really learned a lot. You guys kept the arguments civil and it was really informative stuff.

Back