• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 12 bore double gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased one of these from cabela's, just wondering where you can get round balls or conicals. I prefer conicals, and have seen that South Africans seen to love these things. Any info you guys could give me would help.

Thanks Steve

The Cabela's guns are designed to be used to hunt Upland Game, using shot loads, not RB or Conicals. The newest versions come with some kind of Choke, making it even more difficult to choose a RB or Conical that will fit both barrels. This is NOT a Double Rifle, for African Big Game. These are smoothbores. The 12 ga. would be considered a small gauge for hunting big game by African standards, even if its a modern supository loader using 3 1/2" Slugs.

I own a 12 ga.DB shotgun by a different maker, but shoot it with 2 3/4 drams of 2Fg powder behind 1 1/4 oz. of #5 shot for pheasants, and rabbits. It patterns very well, for a cylinder bore gun. If the gun were choked, the gun would pattern even better with a modified choke. I keep shots with my gun under 35 yds., and have no trouble killing birds with it. If hunting quail, or close breaking grouse, I would switch to either #7 1/2 shot, or #8 shot, with the same powder charge and charge weight of shot. I could reduce the amount of shot to 1 oz. and expect to get good enough patterns to kill the birds if I got on them fast enough.

IF YOU INSIST on using RB, or conicals, you need to measure the bore diameter, to a thousandth of an inch, for each barrel, and then order components to fit each barrel. If you are Lucky, the Bore diameters will be close enough that you can use just ONE BALL diameter, and therefore only order ONE BALL MOLD> If the barrels are choked, you will need to know how much constriction is in each, and the ball and patch should be able to slide through the choke . Think in terms of a .685"-.690" diameter RB, and a .020" patch, for a .729 bore diameter.

If the muzzles are choked, then you need to consider using just Over Shot Cards, in lieu of thicker OP wads, or cushion wads, which will rarely fit down through the chokes, without being damaged. The OS cards are thin enough to be bent a little to fit them through the choke, and then turn them with your loading rod so they go down the barrel at right angles to the bore. The whole purpose of using wads is to seal gases behind the wads. If you ruin any edge, loading, it won't do that job well. :thumbsup:

If its a Pedersoli double rifle, it takes a .715" round ball. I thought that Cabelas carried them, but Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gunworks will have them. Forget conicals :shake:

:v If you are speaking of the .72 Express then yeah they are popular anywhere there is heavy big game. I use the .715" Rb with a .015" patch over 120 grains of FFg. It is a potent well constructed double rifle for an affordable price.
I have read that some fellows from South Africa on another forum, they use conicals over some real heavy loads. Recoil doesn't matter when you are about to get stomped or chewed on.
I've had mine about 6 years now and am very happy with it. Did not like the sights so changed them for a single low mounted "Express" rear and a low fiber-optic front. Works very nice for black bear in the close-up berry patches. Will take it north again this year for a moose hunt.
Have fun with your double. :v

Yes its the 72 express, after getting in touch with Brooks moulds the have a conical mould they have made for a owner of a big kodiak 72. How does the roundball do on big bears, thinking of taking it on a montana beat hunt next year, hence the conicals and big charges.

Thankyou guys, Steve

Which are you referring to?
Did you buy an Express .72 rifle or a Shotgun?
The shotgun is just that, not a double rifle.

I have .69cal minnie balls for my 1842 Musket, Rifled. Lyman make the mold. The bullet weighs 720grs or so. You could paper patch it and allow the hollow base to expand. It might shoot well enough.

p

These are not for shooting round ball. I have an older model (bought in 1972) which is a good bird and rabbit gun using shot. Mine is choked modified and full and shoots well using 1&1/4 ounce shot over 75 grain FFG. I use a 1/2 inch over powder wad and a newspaper shot cartridge made by rolling three layers of newspaper around a dowel rod tieing off one end with kite string, filling the tube with shot, folding over and tieing off the second end.I have no experience with the newer "choke tube " screw ins. Sorry I replyed before reading all of the posts where you stated it was a 72 express rifle, My bad

:v I have never had it fail to shoot clear through even after taking out a shoulder on a side to side. Haven't had a chance for a head on shot yet. There is a lot of momentum with a that big ball, barring hitting a lot of bones and breaking up it should go clear through. If you just get lungs on a side to side they are going to take awhile to bleed out, and that "awhile" could be a lifetime if they were chewing on you. Go for bone first to break them down with any bear
no matter what kind. They all can be tough, if you don't get spine or brain they do not just fall over dead.
With brownies or grizzly I'd heartily recomend having soneone that you trust with you to back you up, more is better. L&C party had a fright with some using .54's from horseback as I recall. (Read about, wasn't there). :v

Latest posts

Back