• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli 10ga waterfowl hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 12 gauge is a killing machine with lead shot. I’m using bismuth for waterfowl just to be legal. I hate it - I get too many wounded birds. I had one flare over decoys at about 25 yards - my son said that the pattern just covered the bird. Son of a gun had to be shot twice…
Really, that sounds like a shooter issue not loading his shotgun properly. When I shot my dad's old Navy Arms 12 ga with 100 grs 2Fg, leather OP wads, Felt Wads and 1 3/8 oz of bismuth 4's I turned ducks inside out at 25 yards. I went down to 1 1/8 of 4's to keep from tearing them up. I shoot a 1 1/16 oz load in my 20's and have no problem. I guess I must be special😳

I source my wool felt from Dura Felt online. I use wad punches chucked into a drill press. Buy your felt in bulk rolls. I buy leather wherever I find it. Make your own wads and save money. I do and it is superior to what you can buy. I also make my own shot.
http://www.durofelt.com/
Thank you!
Do you use the hard felt?
What is the size of your punch?

Really, that sounds like a shooter issue not loading his shotgun properly. When I shot my dad's old Navy Arms 12 ga with 100 grs 2Fg, leather OP wads, Felt Wads and 1 3/8 oz of bismuth 4's I turned ducks inside out at 25 yards. I went down to 1 1/8 of 4's to keep from tearing them up. I shoot a 1 1/16 oz load in my 20's and have no problem. I guess I must be special😳
Entirely possible it’s me - or at least the gun patterns differently with bismuth rather than lead.
I doubt you’re special - but I also doubt that I suddenly become unable to shoot as soon as I change shot. It seems I need to do more pattern work.

I source my wool felt from Dura Felt online. I use wad punches chucked into a drill press. Buy your felt in bulk rolls. I buy leather wherever I find it. Make your own wads and save money. I do and it is superior to what you can buy. I also make my own shot.
http://www.durofelt.com/
forgot to ask, whats your ratio beeswax to olive oil. i use 4 to 1 for my rifle patch lube. the 4 is the olive oil.

that is one big bird. what charge did you use on him? & did one shot bring him out of the sky or did it take two shots? lotta blood in the chest area/ engine room. looks like the charge went all the way through? do your dogs fetch them for you?
To be fair I think I had 1&1/2oz.
It was kind of a unique shot in that they were unusually close.
There is a deep pit now full of water and the land owner who hates geese that over rule the grounds every spring told me how some are dropping in the "pit" first thing in the morning.
It's not difficult there to get them to lift off, circle and pass straight over a gun.
It was probably only 20yards up, max.

About 90 gns of the finest powder I have. 3f or smaller.

They claim their shot is 94% bismuth and 6% tin. The stuff is way spendy though. You can find Rotometals through google search. I would include a link but I got my knuckles wrapped for posting a link before. But in my experience it thumps in range ducks with authority.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Regardless of weather conditions I use a 3:1 ratio. 3 parts olive oil 1 part bees wax. Never had a problem. For guys who do not want to make their own felt wads I have used Eastern Main Shooting Supplies. They make lubed and unlubed wads
https://www.emshootingsupplies.com/#/
Look guys, I have no problems reaching out to 40 yards even with my 20 ga's. Do not blame the smoothbore for not loading it properly. I have owned 8 muzzleloading shotguns and never had a problem with the exception of recoil issues due to 3 right shoulder surgeries. I fixed that by adding mercury recoil suppressors inside the stock and recoil pads covered in leather. 90% of the time it is not the smoothbore that is the problem it's the shooter being lazy and not wanting to load it properly. Loaded properly any smoothbore 19-20 ga - 10 ga should have no problems reaching out to 40 yards and with the 10 ga 50 yards. It's not magic it's just due diligence in loading.
I wish you all the best.
Rob.

Ok, I have 20 plus years experience shooting Pedersoli's. Their 10 has that load listing stamped on the barrel for their lawyers piece of mind. Period. That's all.
I have no problem bagging birds to 45 yards with mine. Load it properly and do not be lazy about it. It is not the shotgun that is at fault it is you.
Your over powder wads must be tight fitting to seal properly.
I use leather OP wads and 2 of them. If using hard nitro cards (cardboard) then definitely use 2 of them. Get rid of the Fiber wads and use Wool Felt wads. I soak mine in olive oil and beeswax. You want them pliable but not a soggy mess. Here is what I use.
116 grains FFg. Swiss or Olde Eynsford. This is 4 1/4 Drams.
2 OP wads made of leather.
1- 1/2 inch wool felt wad soaked with olive oil and bees wax.
1 5/8 oz Bismuth #4 shot.
1- 1/2 inch wool felt also soaked in olive oil and beeswax to top it off and seal the bore.
No problems taking birds on the wing. Been hunting waterfowl for 38 years. The above load chronographs at 1128 FPS 3 feet from the muzzles.
Load it properly and it will get the job done. If you're going to shoot an 1 1/4 oz of shot you should have bought the 12 ga and not the 10 ga. BTW mine has a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock and a recoil pad covered in leather. They do kick.
Would you mind sharing the ratio of olive oil to bees wax?

Shot some paper today ..... Best results were 25 -30yds , 75gr- 80grs of 2F pushing 11/2 oz of bismuth #3. One nitro card on the charge and one thin card over the shot

Attachments

• IMG20221229164209.jpg
    IMG20221229164209.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221229164152.jpg
    IMG20221229164152.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221229164146.jpg
    IMG20221229164146.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221229155722.jpg
    IMG20221229155722.jpg