• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pederoli Brown Bess Missing Pins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my Pedersoli Brown Bess from Dixie Gun Works, but the musket has no pins! Neither the barrel nor the thimbles arrived pinned to the stock, AND the pins are nowhere to be found in the package at all! Has anyone else ever had this happen? How did you go about getting the pins?

I just received my Pedersoli Brown Bess from Dixie Gun Works, but the musket has no pins! Neither the barrel nor the thimbles arrived pinned to the stock, AND the pins are nowhere to be found in the package at all! Has anyone else ever had this happen? How did you go about getting the pins?
Just make out of common "wire stock", thin metal rods. There's nothing special about them.

That is really weird. It should have come fully assembled. It's almost like the factory put everything in place then forgot to put the pins in, from the sound of it. I know Dixie carries some Pedersoli Bess parts, but I don't know about pins. As springfield said, though, they will be easy enough to make.

The Bess should have arrived with all the parts pinned in place. This deserves a phone call to Dixie. You should not have to to assemble anything nor provide or make pins. The only way I can imagine this happening is that you got a gun somebody returned and Dixie did not check it.

Very strange! When I bought my Pedersoli Mississippi rifle it arrived without the pin and retention spring for the ramrod. It didn't effect the function of the rifle so I just contacted Pedersoli and they shipped the replacement parts to me, it did take some time to get them though.

Hi,
Please read what I write carefully. Before inserting any new pins, pass appropriately sized drills through the holes with the barrel in place to make sure everything lines up and the holes are clean. I would twiddle and push the drill bits in using my fingers rather than using a drill to be gentle and avoid enlarging the holes. Finishing nails are fine for the pins holding the ramrod thimbles. You will need 5 of them, 2 for the long front thimble, and one each for the others. Using calipers, measure how long each pin needs to be and cut the nails accordingly. Then turn them in a drill held in a vise so you can slightly round both ends with a file. The rounded ends will prevent the pin from catching and splintering the stock as you tap them in. You will need slightly larger and more durable pins for the barrel because they may be removed and installed periodically unlike the thimble pins. I suggest 3/32" piano wire or spring steel. Check the holes in the barrel lugs and if they are smaller than 3/32", try 5/64" pins. Measure the pin length as before but cut them just a tad shorter than needed and round both ends. Tap them in so one side is flush with the wood but the other is inset. On British muskets all pins are inserted and removed from the side plate side of the stock. The hole around the inset end of the pin will guide your punch when removing the barrel pin preventing it from slipping off the pin and damaging the stock. On real Brown Bess muskets, the forward swivel screw goes through a lug on the barrel. Unfortunately, Pedersoli neglects that detail and relies solely on the overly thick stock for support.
If you want to bring your Bess up to a higher historical standard, here is some instruction:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/new-reworking-a-pedersoli-brown-bess.107405/
dave

Hi,
Please read what I write carefully. Before inserting any new pins, pass appropriately sized drills through the holes with the barrel in place to make sure everything lines up and the holes are clean. I would twiddle and push the drill bits in using my fingers rather than using a drill to be gentle and avoid enlarging the holes. Finishing nails are fine for the pins holding the ramrod thimbles. You will need 5 of them, 2 for the long front thimble, and one each for the others. Using calipers, measure how long each pin needs to be and cut the nails accordingly. Then turn them in a drill held in a vise so you can slightly round both ends with a file. The rounded ends will prevent the pin from catching and splintering the stock as you tap them in. You will need slightly larger and more durable pins for the barrel because they may be removed and installed periodically unlike the thimble pins. I suggest 3/32" piano wire or spring steel. Check the holes in the barrel lugs and if they are smaller than 3/32", try 5/64" pins. Measure the pin length as before but cut them just a tad shorter than needed and round both ends. Tap them in so one side is flush with the wood but the other is inset. On British muskets all pins are inserted and removed from the side plate side of the stock. The hole around the inset end of the pin will guide your punch when removing the barrel pin preventing it from slipping off the pin and damaging the stock. On real Brown Bess muskets, the forward swivel screw goes through a lug on the barrel. Unfortunately, Pedersoli neglects that detail and relies solely on the overly thick stock for support.
If you want to bring your Bess up to a higher historical standard, here is some instruction:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/new-reworking-a-pedersoli-brown-bess.107405/
dave
This is really good info!

Latest posts

Back