• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ped Queen Anne question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Queen Anne. Barrel is clearly marked .50. I threw some .495 rd ball yesterday and miked the barrel. The barrel Mikes at .475! Now I’m no mathematician but……can anyone who owns a QA tell me what your using for round ball? I know most dont patch. Maybe I’m miking it wrong…..or am I missing something?
Thanks all
Russ

Will the .495 fit down the pipe?
I havnt tried. It sits at the muzzle. Didn’t want to push it home if it was too tight and havnt been to the range. I am familiar with bp revolvers in which the ball is a bit larger than the chamber, it it the same with smoothbore pistols?

If it won’t just fall down the barrel then NO don’t force it. It it will almost fit then a .490 will probably work for bare ball shooting. If you’re wanting to use a patch you’re going to have to go with a much smaller ball. In this video mike uses a .490

That’s what I’m thinking too. Thinking of getting a .480 mold and using a thin patch until I can find a .490 mold that’s not outrageously priced.

That’s what I’m thinking too. Thinking of getting a .480 mold and using a thin patch until I can find a .490 mold that’s not outrageously priced.
These guys were recommended to me by a member here a while back. I ordered a mold from them and it was here in either 8 or 9 days from England. Make sure you measure and re-measure your bore before ordering. Very nice work. Not as cheap as a Lee but very competitive with a Lyman mold price. They make them any size you want. If your bore actually measures .475 a .490 or .480 won’t fit either.
https://www.ballmoulds.com/

I shoot .490, in mine with hornets nest over the powder & and on top of the ball.
Took it out today. All I had was a .451. Patched it with denim. Used 25 gr 3f. Hitting pop cans at about 15 feet. I’ll be looking for a .490 mold next. On a good note, no flash in the pan misfires, went bang each time.

Took it out today. All I had was a .451. Patched it with denim. Used 25 gr 3f. Hitting pop cans at about 15 feet. I’ll be looking for a .490 mold next. On a good note, no flash in the pan misfires, went bang each time.
Considering it’s a smoothbore without sights that’s pretty good shooting. Might wanna just save your money and continue with the .451s and the patch. You’ll not shoot any better with a bigger ball unless it’ll just make ya feel better. Gets some buckshot instead for snakes and such.

When I bought my QA in ‘91, Dixie’s catalogue said it had a brass barrel; I was pretty mad when the “brass” started coming off the first time I cleaned her. Never has been worth spot with ball, but she’s just what the doctor ordered for squirrels with some wasp nest and #7.
Jay

When I bought my QA in ‘91, Dixie’s catalogue said it had a brass barrel; I was pretty mad when the “brass” started coming off the first time I cleaned her. Never has been worth spot with ball, but she’s just what the doctor ordered for squirrels with some wasp nest and #7.
Jay
Looks like I need to collect some nest this fall

they all that are made by that Co, are great sparkers & shooters.

Considering it’s a smoothbore without sights that’s pretty good shooting. Might wanna just save your money and continue with the .451s and the patch. You’ll not shoot any better with a bigger ball unless it’ll just make ya feel better. Gets some buckshot instead for snakes and such.
bigger balls always make me feel better.

they all that are made by that Co, are great sparkers & shooters.
Have heard of some issues with Pedersoli flints. Also the touch hole on these Queen Anne’s have a rep for being too small and long. But mine seems to be doing fine, I just make sure to pick it before each shot and spit patch it each time.

Back