• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica T/C Hawken refit...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
done for the most part. I did everything that the Pecatonica was not cut for using original parts. Finished it in early american minwax stain followed by 0000 pumice and lemon oil then 0000
steel wool with butchers bowling alley wax to break the glaze.
I learned many things in doing so which has given me greater confidence for future projects. Thanks to the many who gave me their advise on here. It is not perfect in any means but will be a daily shooter and deer grinder. Will have to wait for the barrel to come back from Bobby Hoyt then off the the range for fine tuning.
As an odd footnote I had to actually search for the pumice to use for the refinish seems like it has fallen out of use from years ago but I managed to find some.
All in all it should be a useful tool.

SM

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_192923.jpg
    IMG_20191007_192923.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 108
Pretty wood but I would have defined the lock panels a bit more, they are huge.

I put together an old TC kit the other day and really whacked some wood off the lock panels because they were not defined and very wide. Because the wood was dished out behind the tail of the lock at the wrist I was limited in what I could do with that area and couldn't make an original Hawken type lock panel like in the picture below.

hawken samuel.jpg

TC lock.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Eric, I appreciate your opinion and admire your work.
I left them thick I think out of the fact that I tumbled with the original stock and it broke in half like a match stick. I can always go back and address it at a later time after all its like a canvas that can be retouched. I know that I look at things and say how can I re-do that?
I guess with use it comes down to dinged up perfect or dinged up not so perfect......
Thanks...

Sm

Latest posts

Back