• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pecatonica River Tenn Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think this will be my next parts set / build. A L/H .32cal L&R Manton flint with a 3/4” colerain barrel.

Anyone have pictures of this particular rifle or thoughts.

I think this will be my next parts set / build. A L/H .32cal L&R Manton flint with a 3/4” colerain barrel.

Anyone have pictures of this particular rifle or thoughts.
When you order your stock be sure to call PR and tell them about your choice of lock so they don't cut the mortise for the wrong lock.

Pecatonica River has always been more than happy to furnish me a stock without the lock mortise so I could install the lock I wanted to use but, if you don't ask for it, they will cut the Tennessee stock for a large Siler lock (which the experts say is the wrong lock.)

Pecatonica River is a first class operation.I have done a lot of business with them and I have never been disappointed and believe me when I say I am very picky. I always deal with Doug, he is great to work with.

Thanks guys. On my last one I called them to make the order and will do the same as suggested. I think the Manton lock is more fitting to the style.

Well, Kansas Kid, I think like you in that the L&R Manton lock is just the rock for a rifle of 32 caliber a d 3/4" across the flats. A tapered barrel would possibly have better, but really isn't necessary.

They look really nice and period-correct.

How difficult of a build is this for a rank brand-new beginner builder with no shop (I'd have to use my father-in-laws shop and tools)?

Yes a tapered barrel would be sweet. As far as build difficulty it shouldn’t be too difficult but does require a lot of time and patience. The butt plate cut that PR done on my last rifle was really close and helped very much. Being left hand it’s probably my best choice. If you’re right handed then there may be better options like a Kibler.

Eric, I’m considering having them omit the lock mortise. I’ve heard your previous warnings about this.

This is a Pecatonica precarve, it had some issues but nothing fatal. I didn't let them cut the lock mortise, this was my third gun build, the lock is where is is supposed to be because I inletted it.

squirrel rifle done 008.JPG

96B9AD97-7BAC-412D-B04C-C970E5BC8430.jpeg
Altho not a Tenn Mnt Rifle this is a Pecatonica Virginia. I had them do as much to this stock that was possible and paid more for that service. This was a grade 4 piece of wood I think. They are great to deal with! Greg

While we're showing Pecatonica River guns, here is the walnut stocked Tennessee rifle I built from PR parts.
I might mention, the grain direction in the wood is wrong. I never got a stock from PR other than this one that has the grain running straight thru the wrist. In this case because it is a Tennessee, it uses a VERY long tang on the breech plug and the trigger plate I used is also VERY long. That allowed me to install two tang screws, some distance apart going straight thru the wrist and into the steel trigger plate so in effect, the wood is totally supported like a sandwich with two steel slices of bread and a wood filler between them.
Yes, it has the "wrong" Syler style lock in it and yes, this lock was a flintlock I converted to percussion.

TEN1.jpg
ten2.jpg
ten3.jpg

Mine will look very similar when finished with the exception of a maple stock. Browning the barrel and furniture now while awaiting the stain dry. Nice job Jim. I which the front of my trigger guard bow was shaped more like yours instead of straight up from the bottom to top.

Mine will look very similar when finished with the exception of a maple stock. Browning the barrel and furniture now while awaiting the stain dry. Nice job Jim. I which the front of my trigger guard bow was shaped more like yours instead of straight up from the bottom to top.

Is yours a Tennessee Mountain from Pecatonica River?

That Virginny rifle earned it keep.

3C20E3F7-FF80-4837-AEA6-B7A5BF413D42.jpeg
They look really nice and period-correct.

How difficult of a build is this for a rank brand-new beginner builder with no shop (I'd have to use my father-in-laws shop and tools)?
Get a good building book. I recommend going to you tube and watching Bill Raby and Dualist 54 rifle builds. And I think Kibler has vids too. Reading how to do x,even seeing photos and drawings is not the same as watching someone do it.
Invest a hundred dollars in to some good small chisels and a couple of rasp and you can do pretty well
3C20E3F7-FF80-4837-AEA6-B7A5BF413D42.jpeg
.... spread out here on my man cave floor

Back