• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pecatonica River Cherry T/C Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky182

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Has anyone done one of their Cherry T/C replacement stocks? If so do you have any pictures? Or any Pictures of their replacement T/C stocks?

No, but I did their full stocked hawken in cherry. Very nice piece of wood. I think you would be happy if you use them.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 177
I used a Pecatonica River replacement stock for my .50 cal. TC Hawken rifle. It is the cheapest grade of curly maple Pecatonica sells and although it is maple, its shape is the same as a cherry stock would be.

One of the real improvements these PR Hawken stocks makes is to provide more "drop" at the butt. This drops the top of the stock considerably so, rather than needing to crank your neck down to get your eye aligned with the sights, the barrel and sights line up nicely with the shooting eye once the PR stock is installed.

Here's a picture of my TC Hawken with the PR stock on it.

TC2.jpg

When I installed the stock, I decided to try casting the nose cap in place rather than using the stock TC nosecap. That was an adventure in itself ! 😲

Can you please tell us about that adventure. In a new thread so we don't hijack this one?
I have often thought I would like to build a small caliber Vincent half stock, but I have no idea what I am in for pouring a pewter nose cap. It stops me everytime I think of building one.

Can you please tell us about that adventure. In a new thread so we don't hijack this one?
I have often thought I would like to build a small caliber Vincent half stock, but I have no idea what I am in for pouring a pewter nose cap. It stops me everytime I think of building one.
Here's a link to a post I made about casting that nosecap.
Photobucket screwed up the pictures but if you squint hard you can still see what I'm talking about.

I used Cerrobend, a bismuth alloy that melts at about 180 degrees F (yes, less than boiling water) to cast it.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/tc-renegade-upgrade.1893/#post-15941
Now, lets get back to the cherry wood stock discussions.

(EDIT) I'm surprised Stumpkiller hasn't shown up here. As I recall, one of his guns is stocked in cherry.

Last edited:
I purchased one of their stocks in cherry for a renegade rebuild. First stock showed up with the butt cut out for a Hawkens style butt, sent it back. second one showed up with butt end cut for I don't know what but not a renegade. Its cut off one inch to short for the plate. Bottom screw hole is right on the bottom edge, not material to screw into. Contacted them to figure out what was going on. Basically told me I was SOL. Suggested I modify the butt plate to fit or try and find some other butt plate that might work. Going to try and glue on some wood and reshape to fit original plate. The cheery wood is beautiful by the way but will never to business with them again. Very disappointed in their customer service and support.

Agree with Dan Baker. Ordered 2 tc stocks from them. The mortise cut out for the trigger was totally wrong. No wood left to screw into on either end of trigger and cut too deep. When I called I got the same response of SOL. And was told I was the first to ever call with these issues about these stocks. Obviously not true. In the end they told me to glue pieces of wood in the cut outs to screw into. Pretty lame for high price stocks.

Latest posts

Back