Pecatonica gun supply

Discussion in 'The Gun Builder's Bench' started by Dogmann, Aug 1, 2012.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Apr 2, 2019 #21

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page you are reading, and click on one of the "interesting" photos.

2. Apr 2, 2019 #22

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

40 Cal

And your point is?

3. Apr 2, 2019 #23

Eric Krewson

Eric Krewson

Eric Krewson

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

My luck with Pecatonica has been 180 out from others experiences, I have posted the pictures before.

4. Apr 2, 2019 #24

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Try not to worry about it.

5. Apr 3, 2019 #25

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

40 Cal

Ok, I got the hint.

6. Apr 3, 2019 #26

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

40 Cal

I'm assuming since most posted positives, you had bad experiences with them? If that is accurate, can you explain? Is the stock you posted with the lock mortise in the wrong spot from them?

The stock I'm currently working on is from them. I have no complaints so far.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  7. Apr 3, 2019 #27

kemart17

kemart17

kemart17

36 Cal.

great people to deal with!!!!

8. Apr 3, 2019 #28

Eric Krewson

Eric Krewson

Eric Krewson

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

The lock mortise was one issue a if they do in fact make Track's precarves, this I don't know for sure and I might be dead wrong.

The other was a Tn precarve I had done that was cut so far off center it had a little over 1/8" of wood on one side of the forestock and 1/2" on the other. They lost my barrel and shipped the precarve back to me sans barrel so I got it back with a 30 degree downward warped dog leg in the front. Plus, their cutter had gotten loose and gouged out the ramrod channel and comb. I had to glue in a patch in the ramrod channel but being a TN rifle I could narrow the comb and get rid of the gouged out place. I was able to fix all the problems mainly because I was making a very slender rifle and could get by with the off center profiling. I shaped the narrow side of the forestock with sandpaper, my selfbow building expertise gave me the knowledge to straighten the dogleg. They found my barrel and promptly shipped it back to me.

That said, I have a friend who builds Bogle rifles and has had Pecatonica profile 7 stocks for him, he said 5 were perfect and 2 had very minor issues that he had no problem correcting.

I just caught them on a bad day, this was my first precarve as I had always built from a plank and wanted to give a precarve a try. I requested that the precarve not have the lock mortise cut, glad I did.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  9. Apr 3, 2019 #29

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

like their wood, not their inlets. have to hog out every thing. next stock from them with have larger inlet barrel channel than barrel size. i will bed it, tired of hogging out their barrel channels. woods real good, inlet not so good.

10. Apr 4, 2019 #30

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

40 Cal

I don't think any precarve stock is going to be perfect. There are just too many variables involved, especially if they are sending a stock like in my case where I simply ordered the barrel channel size to my barrel but didn't actually send them my barrel(they didn't ask me to send it either). Surely then there will have to be inletting done do get it to fit.

Back when I bought my two other guns from the old TVM, both precarve stocks had some issues. The first one, my Lancaster, I had to send the first stock back when I discovered the lock area included about a 6 inch long crack in the stock that ran from the wrist through where the locjk mortise was up into the forearm. The second stock then sent me was ok. My smooth bore's stock has several knots in it where the cheek rests. Not a structural issue, and it did turn out looking kinda cool after I finished it, but had I not had issues with the people I dealt with, I would have sent the thing back. What I'm saying is, you are liable to get a lemon from anybody. Regarding Pecatonica, I've had good experiences so far, and alot of people I know and have talked to say they are a first rate outfit.

Kowalsk1 likes this.
  11. Apr 4, 2019 #31

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

really good wood, be ready with your wood carving tools to make things fit.

12. Apr 5, 2019 #32

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

40 Cal

That's what makes this hobby a challenge....Where's the fun, and what's the point of building, if the parts simply dropped right into place.

13. Apr 5, 2019 #33

waarp8nt

waarp8nt

waarp8nt

32 Cal.

East of the Kaskaskia River in Illinois Country
    I have ordered a couple of barrels from them in the past. I liked the customer service and fast shipping on that order - no complaints at all! I just ordered a stock and some hardware earlier this week, they said it would be a few days so I'm expecting it early next week. I would love to drive up there, but its about 3 hours North of my location.

14. Apr 14, 2019 #34

MSW

MSW

MSW

Cannon MLF Supporter

Great pricing and fantastic service … the "Fortune 500" could learn a thing or two.

15. Apr 14, 2019 #35

sawyer04

sawyer04

sawyer04

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Maybe it goes with some of us being in the ancient zone.

16. Apr 15, 2019 #36

rickystl

rickystl

rickystl

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

I've only used them once, recently. Sent a Dunlap's blank and a barrel from TOTW to have a barrel channel only inlet. Received both a phone call and an email acknowledging receipt. A week (or less) later received another email that the work was done and everything re-shipped to the builder, including a Tracking number. And a very reasonable cost. Couldn't ask for better service. I will definitely use them again.

Rick

17. Apr 15, 2019 #37

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

they are a good co. but it is not a perfect fit stock, very very good wood, better than average, but then you got to show if you can make it work.

18. Apr 16, 2019 #38

jimirwin

jimirwin

jimirwin

Pilgrim

I have used Pecatonica several times to complete satisfaction. Fit has always been amazing in every case! A customer asked for "something unusual" in figured maple for a "schimmel" full stock. Peca came up with a stock with lots of curl, birdseye and flame grain. AMAZING! Fanciest "schimmel" you ever saw! Customer died and I bought it back from his widow. A personal favorite!

19. Apr 16, 2019 #39

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

their wood is the best.have trouble with their barrel channels.from now on im going to order the barrel channel a little l;arger and then bed it. love their wood.

20. Apr 19, 2019 #40

wapiti22

wapiti22

wapiti22

Pilgrim

They are still great! Bought a stock from them about 3 months ago. There was a problem with the one they sent. I emailed them and had a beautiful replacement in less than a week. I'll buy again!!