• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica gun supply

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My luck with Pecatonica has been 180 out from others experiences, I have posted the pictures before.

I'm assuming since most posted positives, you had bad experiences with them? If that is accurate, can you explain? Is the stock you posted with the lock mortise in the wrong spot from them?

The stock I'm currently working on is from them. I have no complaints so far.

Last edited:
The lock mortise was one issue a if they do in fact make Track's precarves, this I don't know for sure and I might be dead wrong.

The other was a Tn precarve I had done that was cut so far off center it had a little over 1/8" of wood on one side of the forestock and 1/2" on the other. They lost my barrel and shipped the precarve back to me sans barrel so I got it back with a 30 degree downward warped dog leg in the front. Plus, their cutter had gotten loose and gouged out the ramrod channel and comb. I had to glue in a patch in the ramrod channel but being a TN rifle I could narrow the comb and get rid of the gouged out place. I was able to fix all the problems mainly because I was making a very slender rifle and could get by with the off center profiling. I shaped the narrow side of the forestock with sandpaper, my selfbow building expertise gave me the knowledge to straighten the dogleg. They found my barrel and promptly shipped it back to me.

That said, I have a friend who builds Bogle rifles and has had Pecatonica profile 7 stocks for him, he said 5 were perfect and 2 had very minor issues that he had no problem correcting.

I just caught them on a bad day, this was my first precarve as I had always built from a plank and wanted to give a precarve a try. I requested that the precarve not have the lock mortise cut, glad I did.

Last edited:
like their wood, not their inlets. have to hog out every thing. next stock from them with have larger inlet barrel channel than barrel size. i will bed it, tired of hogging out their barrel channels. woods real good, inlet not so good.

I don't think any precarve stock is going to be perfect. There are just too many variables involved, especially if they are sending a stock like in my case where I simply ordered the barrel channel size to my barrel but didn't actually send them my barrel(they didn't ask me to send it either). Surely then there will have to be inletting done do get it to fit.

Back when I bought my two other guns from the old TVM, both precarve stocks had some issues. The first one, my Lancaster, I had to send the first stock back when I discovered the lock area included about a 6 inch long crack in the stock that ran from the wrist through where the locjk mortise was up into the forearm. The second stock then sent me was ok. My smooth bore's stock has several knots in it where the cheek rests. Not a structural issue, and it did turn out looking kinda cool after I finished it, but had I not had issues with the people I dealt with, I would have sent the thing back. What I'm saying is, you are liable to get a lemon from anybody. Regarding Pecatonica, I've had good experiences so far, and alot of people I know and have talked to say they are a first rate outfit.

That's what makes this hobby a challenge....Where's the fun, and what's the point of building, if the parts simply dropped right into place.

I have ordered a couple of barrels from them in the past. I liked the customer service and fast shipping on that order - no complaints at all! I just ordered a stock and some hardware earlier this week, they said it would be a few days so I'm expecting it early next week. I would love to drive up there, but its about 3 hours North of my location.

I've only used them once, recently. Sent a Dunlap's blank and a barrel from TOTW to have a barrel channel only inlet. Received both a phone call and an email acknowledging receipt. A week (or less) later received another email that the work was done and everything re-shipped to the builder, including a Tracking number. And a very reasonable cost. Couldn't ask for better service. I will definitely use them again.

Rick

I have used Pecatonica several times to complete satisfaction. Fit has always been amazing in every case! A customer asked for "something unusual" in figured maple for a "schimmel" full stock. Peca came up with a stock with lots of curl, birdseye and flame grain. AMAZING! Fanciest "schimmel" you ever saw! Customer died and I bought it back from his widow. A personal favorite!

their wood is the best.have trouble with their barrel channels.from now on im going to order the barrel channel a little l;arger and then bed it. love their wood.

They are still great! Bought a stock from them about 3 months ago. There was a problem with the one they sent. I emailed them and had a beautiful replacement in less than a week. I'll buy again!!

Latest posts

Back