• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica Fusil de Chasse finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really enjoyed building this Fusil de Chasse by Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply. The Maple stock has lovely curl even though I purchased a plane Maple one. The parts are high quality, the L&R lock throws a shower of sparks and it has a very nice pull, one of the nicest single triggers I have ever used. They also soldered on the front sight and the barrel lugs for me for a reasonable fee.
I decided to stain the stock a dark chocolate brown. The metal I browned and rubbed back just to give it a warm, aged look.
There were some new challenges for me, primarily with careful lining up, measuring and drilling/tapping. The trigger assemble was the scariest one (I posted about that one earlier) but it turned out better than I expected.
If there was a criticism, it would be that the barrel seems heavy in comparison to the one from the Mold and Gun shop for their Fusil kit. The gun is still quite light, coming in at under seven pounds.
Also, I would have liked the toe of the butt stock to be angled forward a bit more, though what they sent me is still great.
The one challenge that I couldn't resolve was the side plate and the spacing between the pre-drilled bolt holes (exactly 3" center-to-center). On the lock, this would have put the bolt holes precariously close the front of the lock plate and at the very, very end of the bolster. I decided not to try it and instead got another French Fusil style plate for a different style fusil, (actually for a Fusil Fin according to Track) bit I think I can live with that switch.
A special thanks again to Dave Person who I have learned so much from through his amazing tutorials. What was super helpful for me is how he taught about in-letting the trigger guard, starting from the front and working your way back. It came out perfectly I think.
So, this Fusil is done for now. I will let the poly finish it will cure for the rest of the week before I take it out to shoot it. I might wax the stock in a few months or mor, but I am not committed about that yet.
I don't know if I am exactly in love with this Fusil de Chasse, but it's certainly close.
Good work, Pecatonica :thumb:

Attachments

• Fusil 1.jpg
    Fusil 1.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Fusil 2.jpg
    Fusil 2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 244
  • Fusil 3.jpg
    Fusil 3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Fusil 4.jpg
    Fusil 4.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 239
  • Fusil 5.jpg
    Fusil 5.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 235
  • Fusil 6.jpg
    Fusil 6.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Fusil 7.jpg
    Fusil 7.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Fusil 8.jpg
    Fusil 8.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Fusil 9.jpg
    Fusil 9.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Fusil 10.jpg
    Fusil 10.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 228
I really enjoyed building this Fusil de Chasse by Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply. The Maple stock has lovely curl even though I purchased a plane Maple one. The parts are high quality, the L&R lock throws a shower of sparks and it has a very nice pull, one of the nicest single triggers I have ever used. They also soldered on the front sight and the barrel lugs for me for a reasonable fee.
I decided to stain the stock a dark chocolate brown. The metal I browned and rubbed back just to give it a warm, aged look.
There were some new challenges for me, primarily with careful lining up, measuring and drilling/tapping. The trigger assemble was the scariest one (I posted about that one earlier) but it turned out better than I expected.
If there was a criticism, it would be that the barrel seems heavy in comparison to the one from the Mold and Gun shop for their Fusil kit. The gun is still quite light, coming in at under seven pounds.
Also, I would have liked the toe of the butt stock to be angled forward a bit more, though what they sent me is still great.
The one challenge that I couldn't resolve was the side plate and the spacing between the pre-drilled bolt holes (exactly 3" center-to-center). On the lock, this would have put the bolt holes precariously close the front of the lock plate and at the very, very end of the bolster. I decided not to try it and instead got another French Fusil style plate for a different style fusil, (actually for a Fusil Fin according to Track) bit I think I can live with that switch.
A special thanks again to Dave Person who I have learned so much from through his amazing tutorials. What was super helpful for me is how he taught about in-letting the trigger guard, starting from the front and working your way back. It came out perfectly I think.
So, this Fusil is done for now. I will let the poly finish it will cure for the rest of the week before I take it out to shoot it. I might wax the stock in a few months or mor, but I am not committed about that yet.
I don't know if I am exactly in love with this Fusil de Chasse, but it's certainly close.
Good work, Pecatonica :thumb:

Tres' bon, mon ami!

I can see what you mean about that barrel blank, from the muzzle picture, but excellent work! ... I wonder if they sell that kit in a 69-cal, hence the heavy barrel config ...
Merci ! Not sure if Pecatonica offer larger bore sizes, perhaps so. It is still quite light though. but the gun might be down to like 5 pounds if I used the Mold & Gun 20 gauge barrel that’s going on my Clay Smith Fusil.

Sweet!!! Nice job Path….I see what you Mean about the side plate. Still think it looks good. Nice job on the finish

Anthony

Super work, Bob! The gun is gorgeous!

I understand what you mean about the lock bolts and the standard fusil side plate. I ordered a custom fusil de chasse some years ago from a pretty well known builder. He/they elected to use the standard sideplate anyway, and the front lock bolt barely caught the end of the lockplate. They actually beveled the end of the bolt, to match the bevel on the edge of the plate. That particular gun had several additional goof-ball construction issues, and I ended up trading it off to Clay Smith without even shooting it. I was kind of disgusted. Your own solution to the lock bolt spacing problem is elegant. Strong work, my friend!

Notchy Bob

Super work, Bob! The gun is gorgeous!

I understand what you mean about the lock bolts and the standard fusil side plate. I ordered a custom fusil de chasse some years ago from a pretty well known builder. He/they elected to use the standard sideplate anyway, and the front lock bolt barely caught the end of the lockplate. They actually beveled the end of the bolt, to match the bevel on the edge of the plate. That particular gun had several additional goof-ball construction issues, and I ended up trading it off to Clay Smith without even shooting it. I was kind of disgusted. Your own solution to the lock bolt spacing problem is elegant. Strong work, my friend!

Notchy Bob
Hi Bob- Yeah, it just looked like that side plate wouldn’t work. Sometimes it happens when the company just includes parts that seem like they would work, and making them work is not the best approach, like in this case. I was a little surprised but glad to find something to swap it out with, though a simpler style plate was what I was looking for. Anyway it’s a just for me so I am not upset.
Thanks for sharing your story and it’s too bad you didn’t get a Fusil de Chasse that you liked. This one handles sooooo nicely it will be a fun gun to use.
Best regards to you again!

Back