• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonia River Long Rifle Supply

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have anyone built one of their kits or got the parts n built what they wanted from them. Just was wondering about the quality of parts n the stocks. No one seems to carry a caliber i want to use n the twist i want. I spect i i will have Colerain make my Barrel . A 1:38 twist in a .45 cal with a 36" length

I sound like a broken record I have said this so many times, don't let them cut your lock inlet, do it yourself so it will be in the right place or it may be off a bit like mine was as well as a lot of other folks who agree with me about pre-carve lock inlets.

100_4992.JPG

Pecatonica did this pre-carve and did a pretty good job, I didn't let them do the lock inlet and did it myself, it is right where it needs to be.

squirrel rifle done 008.JPG

Why 1:38, are you planning on shooting conical bullets?

I sound like a broken record I have said this so many times, don't let them cut your lock inlet, do it yourself so it will be in the right place or it may be off a bit like mine was as well as a lot of other folks who agree with me about pre-carve lock inlets.

View attachment 191226

Pecatonica did this pre-carve and did a pretty good job, I didn't let them do the lock inlet and did it myself, it is right where it needs to be.

View attachment 191228

Yes conical, i have several molds in .45. I have the 200 gr REAL,220 gr Maxi-ball n Lee .45 255RF. I am going to try n build a virgina with a 36" 7/8 bbl flintlock. I have to fine out what is a very good to great lock for the build

I talked to them today asking some questions about a smooth rifle I have in mind. The fellow was very helpful. I've dealt with them in the past and have no complaints.
Good info from Eric above. I liked the precarved I got from them with the profile roughed out, the barrel inlet a little on the tight side, and the ramrod hole drilled. I'll do the rest of the inletting myself so I know it's in the right place. Or whose hind end to kick if it's not!

Some Virgina rifles have a round face lock, if you go this route a Kibler is about as good as you can get. I am sure other guys on her know whole more about Virgina rifes than I do.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/colle...ler-colonial-flintlock?variant=29508506910838
Well John is not shy on the price of them. Being machined cnc i spect, it appears to a good Lock if not a great lock to put on a rifle. I am nothing but a novice n trying to learn as i go. Virginia n Colonial bout the same rifle ?

Well John is not shy on the price of them. Being machined cnc i spect, it appears to a good Lock if not a great lock to put on a rifle. I am nothing but a novice n trying to learn as i go. Virginia n Colonial bout the same rifle ?
I have just shot my Woodsrunner equipped with a Kibler round face lock. It is well constructed and fast.

They sell the same parts as everybody else. Their stock designs leave something to be desired. Usually helps if you close one eye and squint a lot.
Geez i maybe the right one to buy a stock from them. About blind in one eye can't see out of the other on any given day. So stay away from their stocks, ok. Yup i can mess up a stock by myself

I have used several of their precarves and also a few blanks with the barrel channel cut and ramrod drilled. In my opinion I have always gotten a better quality wood than I paid for. Never get the lock inlet so that I can make sure it's in the right place. The rifle I just finished is designed to shoot conicals, a .45 with a 1 in 21 twist. I used Pecatonica's Rigby precarve for the stock. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet because of the weather. Have moulds for 250real. 295 improved minie and a 350 minie. Don't know if I would try shooting conicals out of a flintlock, seems like there would be a lot of pressure lost out the touch hole shooting the heavier conicals.

I have used several of their precarves and also a few blanks with the barrel channel cut and ramrod drilled. In my opinion I have always gotten a better quality wood than I paid for. Never get the lock inlet so that I can make sure it's in the right place. The rifle I just finished is designed to shoot conicals, a .45 with a 1 in 21 twist. I used Pecatonica's Rigby precarve for the stock. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet because of the weather. Have moulds for 250real. 295 improved minie and a 350 minie. Don't know if I would try shooting conicals out of a flintlock, seems like there would be a lot of pressure lost out the touch hole shooting the heavier conicals.
I had not given much thought on the pressure loss from vent hole. Throwing a curve in the mix, 1st tick toter i ever shot n killed i used a .410 slug. The foot lbs is really low but it was double lung n pass through at 25-30 yds. I think a flintlock would still be a killer at 75 yds. I know thats not apples to apples, still pondering this in my mind

The above mentioned pre-carve had a bowed ramrod channel as well (along with about a dozen other flaws), it wasn't even close to straight, I didn't notice this until I had all the pipes inletted and found my ramrod wouldn't go through the entry pipe because the channel had it going in sideways.

ramrod groove bow..JPG

I made a scraper by peening the end of a 5/16" ramrod drill and was able to open the channel in the foreshock enough to have good passage of the ramrod.

ramrod hole scraper.JPG

I shimmed the hole with leather to put pressure on the scraper and direct it where I wanted it to cut.

ramrod hole scraper 2.JPG

Last edited:
Pecatonica stocks are what forced me to start building from blanks forty years ago. Well, ALL precarved stocks caused that. They have "built in" problems that can be time consuming to correct.

I built an underhammer from them and I got the stock blank I am working on ow from them as well. good people to do business with.

Attachments

• 20221027_134426.jpg
    20221027_134426.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

My barrel inlet was just the opposite, I had to use epoxy to raise the barrel. I bought a Virginia kit without a barrel from them, they didn't have a .40 caliber. They did mess up on the hardware, I ordered steel with a cap lock, they sent brass with a flintlock. All was made good and I'd buy from them again. I bought my barrel and a few other items from Stonewall Creek Outfitters, great folks to deal with too.

Back