PC question I’ve always wondered about

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

SOLANCO

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Before water treatment technologies became common, deaths due to water-borne microorganisms were higher than deaths due to cancer or heart disease. That changed when some cities began to filter their drinking water and then started to chlorinate it. Philadelphia, PA was one of the first cities to institute chlorination in drinking water.
You can see in this graph that typoid deaths decrease slightly after filtration, and decrease dramatically after application of chlorination:
View attachment 31173
The first arrow shows when filtration was applied in 1909, and a remarkable drop when chlorination started in 1913. Other diseases like cholera and dysentery followed the same pattern. They knew long ago that contaminated water could cause disease and daeths.
A story about water and beer. Pilsner Urquell is a fairly famous beer from Pilsen in the Czech Republic. Some decades back they developed a problem with their water supply and discovered their water mains were hollowed logs and had rotted to a great extent. So they were replaced with modern plumbing and people commented the beer did not taste right.
Oh, I forgot to mention the old wooden mains ran under what had been a livery stable for ages.

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recall a company drilling water wells in India. The water looked beautiful so clear and clean, but it was laced badly with arsenic, and a good few villagers went blind.
This just to add to a previous post, about water sometimes Looking and Tasting alright..

vintovka

Pilgrim
Reaction score
All the billions spent on preserving California's once pristine American River has now been lost. Homeless camps have turned it into an open sewer where the discharge from the wastewater treatment plants is cleaner than the river. California's answer to the problem is to stop testing and reporting. Best check Label on that beverage before you down it. .

vintovka

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recall a company drilling water wells in India. The water looked beautiful so clear and clean, but it was laced badly with arsenic, and a good few villagers went blind.
This just to add to a previous post, about water sometimes Looking and Tasting alright..
I was with both the Clean Water Grant program and engineer for the water board. Sampled 1000's of rivers, lakes and wells all over CA. The data even ten years ago was startling and has gotten so bad it makes me sick. The days of being out hunting and drinking from that crystal clean stream is over. If it isn't fecal strep from a homeless camp its backwash from a meth lab.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
.We did the same chewing turnips straight out of the field as kids but I made 76 so far. Not that I am endorsing such casual practices . Ime sure all the scientific bumf is correct . Some people want to live forever . I knew a man assured me he was going to . I was camped on a stock route when his funeral cortage went by . So he got it wrong .
Again, it's what you've immunity to. I was doing living history one day back in the 1970's and got very over heated, so I took a drink from a running stream , and the stream ran straight through a cow pasture. The other guys' eyes bugged out and couldn't believe what I had done, but heat stroke or heat exhaustion would've killed me much quicker..., and I didn't get sick, so I was probably immune to what the stream had in it (on that day ; at that time)

The other problem with clean water is the time it takes to zap you..., the most serious of water pathogens takes a while to kill you and it's a nasty situation.
The biggest problem I have in my area is chemical contamination. I can pretty easily deal with the microbes and viruses, but chemicals..., much tougher to remove.

Even though my house has "city water" I have a carbon filter on my drinking water tap.

As a neighbor said, "If you don't use a filter for your water, YOU are the filter."

LD