PC question I’ve always wondered about

Discussion in 'Historically Accurate Equipment' started by Tb54, Jan 31, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM #101

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Pilgrim

Atticus69 speaks the truth.
    If you are knee- jerk pro-fax due to successful indoctrination "for the greater good", you owe it tomyoursel, your family, and the rest of us to,read Lewis Rockwell, Michelle Malkin, & even an actor, Rob Schneider.
    My nephew's son was heavily vaccinated just about the time he was developing normally, learning to talk.
    Several years later he plays with his excrement, cannot speak, and is a danger to himself if not watched every minute.(unfortunately there are many similar cases, co-inciding with vaccinations.

I got an anti-pneumonia shot....
    When I got sick myself & the quack ruled-out pneumonia because "I had been immunized"...
    Dbl. pneu & blood clot in lungs nearly killed me and I had to spend the price of a new pickup for ICU & hospital stay.

If someone who thinks like Walkingeagle shows-up to mandatorily-vaccinate me w/o my informed consent, one of us may die.....
    Me at a later date because I allowed an injection of aluminum, foremaldihide, "live" vaccines that can infect others around me. Etc.

GET INFORMED.
    Make intelligent, responsible reality-based decisions.
    Do NOT allow yourself to be an indoctrinated sheep.

Anybody besides myself see the irony of this topic arising on a site populated by free-thinking indidualit's ;-)?

Dave

Stophel and Kestrel like this.
  2. Dec 1, 2019 at 4:19 PM #102

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Pilgrim

According to my volumes of Who'se Who In The Fur Trade, John Colter died of water-borne disease(probably hepatitis?) when he left the Shining Mtns and tried living back in settled parts.

I got hepatitis from the few drops of water under the caps on beer bottles cooled in a well too near the outhouse at a $35 a month adobe we rented long ago just north of "Dick Wooten's Road" that led to Raton, New Mexico.
    If you don't have strong resistance to disease, it doesn't take much to mess you up.
    Modern bark canoe expedition to cross Canada by old fur trade routes found out the hard way that water straight from the source was no longer safe to drink like the voyageurs once did...

Boil your water &/or run it thru a good filter. (I try to avoid drinking tap-water.)
    Our current well water is "safe" but most of our drinking & well water goes thru reverse osmosis filter

Dave

3. Dec 1, 2019 at 4:57 PM #103

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

32 Cal.

WOW, threats of killing (most likely) now! WOW
    I find it funny that you want to listen to celebs for advice, isn’t it celebs that want your president out? Want your guns controlled/banned? Etc???
    Walk

4. Dec 1, 2019 at 7:27 PM #104

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Water in the old days untreated was considered a danger. Bad bugs grow anywhere and everywhere. I don’t think there ever existed a pristine world. Life pollutes.
    At one time a new life came along that polluted the world real bad, its waste killed off almost 98% of earths life that lived before it.
    We call that life plants, and it’s waste gas O2.
    In the 1950s we started jet air travel. At the same time in the western world there was an increase in reported rapes, jets caused women to get raped. In the 1950s black Americans earned about .93 to every dollar a white American earned. In the late 60s Boing built the jumbo jet, and at the same time there was a decrease in Black America wages...
    Correlations in time are not correlations in cause. There has yet to be a link shown between vaccines and any strange mental changes. And even if there was a rare link, it would be well worth the risk. People have died because they couldn’t get their seat belt undone, but your best bet is to make it click.

Coot likes this.
  5. Dec 1, 2019 at 8:12 PM #105

rich pierce

rich pierce

rich pierce

70 Cal.

Well I looked at the title and so decided to read what’s posted here and found conspiracy theories instead. I’m confused. Happens more and more as I get older.
    My main PC question has to do with how some folks were able to walk in wet weather with period footware whether Mocs or leather soled shoes.

6. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:32 PM #106

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

In soft soled moccs I found that toes could give you a lot of grip. But I went summer skiing one too many times.
    I put non slip soles on my leather shoes.
    I think it must have been a problem in the old days. Old Irish song ‘the Dublin Fusiliers’ had a verse about the Tsar leading an army that hears the Dublin fusiliers are on the field.
    “Takes off your shoes and stockings boys
    And when I tells ye run”

7. Dec 1, 2019 at 11:55 PM #107

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I agree. This thread has drifted too far off of the original questions in the original post.

If it doesn't get off of talking about modern semi-political discussions and get back to discussions about what people did prior to 1865, I'll close it.

8. Dec 2, 2019 at 12:25 AM #108

Stophel

Stophel

Stophel

75 Cal.

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was still wearing leather soled shoes/boots. Lots of people still wear cowboy boots. You dig in your heels for traction. Of course, they're still pretty slick....

Hobnails were commonly used for traction too, though I'm told they are deadly on modern pavement/smooth stone! I have yet to give them a try, myself. But then, I've just about given up on trying to find period 18th century footwear that works for my feet.

9. Dec 2, 2019 at 4:36 PM #109

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Born in to a culture that uses x you learn how to use that all your life. We’ve grown up with non slip shoes and left and right.
    Most of us need glasses, they were worn in the old days but rare, and most were ‘reading glasses’. You will see a lot of near historic frames with modern glasses in them and a lot more folks in them then what you would see walking around a similar sized crowd in the old days.
    Hid some where in a bag people will have modern meds or first aid kit, maybe a bit of dish soap. we do live in the here and now, even when we’re old grey beards playing cowboys and Indians.

Grenadier1758 likes this.
  10. Dec 3, 2019 at 5:01 PM #110

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

40 cal - b

The horse shoe style steel "Army Heel Plates" slightly aid in traction.

Back when I was knee high to a grasshopper/locust, most (but not all) men's and boy's shoes still lacked rubber soles and heels.

Sip-on rubber galoshes or rubber boots were used when there was cloud dander** or when they went afield to hunt.
    Waders were sometimes worn when hunting waterfoul and for some fishing expeditions.

** I consider the "s" word for that white stuff them ... mor ... idio .. "people" ... what like to strap two boards to their feet and then pay to fall down a mountain pray for, a cuss word.

I try not to cuss when there is a she and/or kids are around.
    I'm pretty sure there is at least one she who shoots traditional muzzleloaders (probably better than 60% to 70% of the men) on the forum here.

11. Dec 5, 2019 at 5:46 PM #111

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Pilgrim

Re traction in mud w/leather soles:
    Hob nails can help, and you may be able to find old-stock in old shoe shops, or possibly on-line.

Place your boots or shoes in a shallow pan of water to try to saturate leather soles & heels a bit so hobnails won't tear a hole in dry leather, but force damp fibers apart & hold.
    Any cobbler used to stalling "corks"(caulks) in logging boots will understand the process.

There are edging nails & cone- headed nails.
    Both will transmit cold to your feet in cold weather.

Stay off pavement & your wife's floors w/hobnails or "corks";-)

Davo