PC question I’ve always wondered about

Discussion in 'Historically Accurate Equipment' started by Tb54, Jan 31, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 1, 2019 #61

RonRC

RonRC

RonRC

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The quality of your well water depends on the where the water recharging the well comes from, the geological mineral characteristics surrounding the water, and many other characteristics. A shallow aquifer just north of Denver, CO was fed from cattle ranches on the surface. Nitrates were exceedingly high. In the Front Range Mountains west of Denver, natural uranium deposits resulted in very high levels of radon, making the water unusable. Each long term use groundwater source of water is unique and should be tested. However, a quick drink now and then from mountain spring likely won't do you harm.
    I have had giardia and para-typhoid after being exposed to contaminated water. You really don't want to experience these diseases. They are no fun at all!

franky4me likes this.
  2. Mar 1, 2019 #62

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Well, there's springs and then there are springs.

A long time ago I was quail hunting in the desert north of Phoenix.
    It had rained a few days before I went out and as is often the case it was very hot and muggy.

After walking for a few miles I was very thirsty and I had forgotten to bring my canteen with me but "low and behold", there in front of me was water running out of a spring on the side of a very low hill. :)
    Getting down on my hands and knees I must have drank several cupfuls of that wonderful water. It tasted good and ended my thirst nicely.

Feeling better I decided to move up on that hill to see if the water had brought in any quail to it.

When I reached the top I saw spread out in front of me a very large flat area with a few puddles, several range cattle and piles of cow dung everywhere! :eek:

That "spring" was draining that whole area.:eek::eek:o_O

Nothing bad ever came from my drinking the water but it did teach me to always investigate the area above a spring before drinking from it.

Pukka Bundook and davidmc62 like this.
  3. Mar 2, 2019 #63

davidmc62

davidmc62

davidmc62

40 Cal.

Had a similar experience when I was younger. I and a group of fellows..and a few young ladies went hiking down the river bank from our cabin site on the Colorado River in San Saba Co. TX. We spent the day carousing in Gorman Falls cave on the river bank. When we were set to return, we were quite muddy. There was a large free flowing waterfall coming off the bluff close to the cave, well we took the opportunity to "clean up" before we got back up the trail toward our cabins.
    Along with our shower, enough water was ingested by those who partook and as luck would have it, most of those fellows including myself, ended up sick and a few actually in hospital from giardia.
    The one thing that always sticks in my head from then on is "never drink downstream from the herd" Never can be too careful.

4. Mar 2, 2019 #64

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

You might get away with it once, a few times or always. The potential consequences just aren't worth it to me...

5. Mar 3, 2019 #65

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

GREAT Information. Thank you. Unfortunately I'm Blood Type A Pos, but I never drank from springs, ponds, lakes, rivers, etc. Probably a good thing I didn't. I did drink from hand pump farm wells, but never got anything from that.

I was a real stickler about taking and ensuring my Marines took Malaria pills where needed, though. In Somalia, too many of the younger Marines would not take them every morning. So at the morning meetings, I required everyone to bring their bottles of issued water and we all took our pills in formation. Glad to say none of my Marines came down with anything and that was one of the filthiest and most diseased areas in the world.

Gus

6. Mar 3, 2019 #66

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I spent six weeks playing Mountain Man between Lyman Fort Bridger area and Lander Wyoming. Drank just from creeks without any problem. A month travel from Grand Junction Co to Fort Bridger, again no trouble. Then hiked up in to the Bookends in Colorado/Utah got sicker then a dog. Only time I can remember trouble.
    Skill is no match against dumb luck.

7. Mar 5, 2019 #67

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

32 Cal.

Ohhh Rahhh, Jarhead. Semper Fi. I was a Vietnam Marine Sgt. Wouldn't want to go to Somalia for nuthin' in the world.

Artificer likes this.
  8. Mar 5, 2019 #68

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Semper Fi, Rusty,

I made Sergeant in 1972, probably a bit after you did. I wasn't old enough for the Nam, but did a short deployment destroying a base in Cambodia. I joke that with 26 years in the Corps, I learned if the name of a country ended in "ia," there is no reason to return or in fact, go there at all. ;)

Gus

9. Mar 7, 2019 #69

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

32 Cal.

I was told that Somalia was the butt hole of the world. I think so after seeing "Blackhawk Down" a couple of times. Never got into Cambodia but I had a few friends that went there during the Vietnam war. Ohhh Rahhh! Semper Fi.