PC/HC subforum

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Black Hand, Jan 17, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 26, 2019 #161

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Evidence is evidence - interpretations differ, but the facts stay the same.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan

You've brought his up at least twice so far. I'm far more impressed by quality not quantity.

No offense, but I tired of this some time ago but feel it would be rude on my part not to respond to direct questions. The "higher-ups" decided not to add a new subforum - why do you feel it necessary to continue this discussion?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Jan 26, 2019 #162

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Oh got to say and it’s tongue in cheek but... you can document ties on on match coats?
    And you made a pin for your cloak. And pointed out it would take multiple ties.
    In order to save my pleats I stitched a stript across the pleated area at waist level so it was covered by the belt. However sewing doesn’t seem to be done on pre rebellion kilts.

3. Jan 26, 2019 #163

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

You asked a hypothetical....and I answered in kind. Would you prefer a gun worm or sliver of wood instead?

Elias Pym Fordham's 1818 description of his style of wearing his blanket may be one of the best description we have of the matchcoat as we understand it today: "...over my great coat* I wore a blanket, pinned under the chin in the Indian fashion, and confined to the waist by a leather belt; to which was suspended a large hunting or scalping knife. Fifteen years ago, this was a common dress in Kentucky, as it is now on the frontiers of Indiana and in the Illinois Territory" (Elias Pym Fordham; Fordham's Personal Narrative, 1817-1818; Heritage Books, Inc., Bowie, Maryland, 1989, p.158).
    From: https://shaybo-therisingtide.blogspot.com/2013/02/powwow-and-matchcoats-by-joseph-newman.html

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  4. Jan 26, 2019 #164

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

One of the problems with experimental archeology is however we figure out how to do something today with old equipment does not mean that was how they did it in the old days. However we have found three thousand year old mummies along the Silk Road with pinned tartan cloaks, pinned cloaks were worn across Iron Age Europe in to the dark ages in to historic times. In America matchcoats were pinned. Now I should think that for the few centuries Great kilts were popular in Scotland didn’t pin their cloaks?
    Ok Romans could wear their kilts (togas) without a pin but it was formal wear and carried on the left arm, and put on the wearer.
    Without that one case I’m just not convinced kilts weren’t pinned, and I’m not convinced by a poorly detailed cartoon.

5. Jan 26, 2019 #165

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

And you shouldn't. That said, post evidence that supports your position.

6. Jan 26, 2019 #166

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I think I'll proclaim this topic has reached its end.

Wishes were made and considered. The decision to not add additional areas to the forum was made.

At the end of the topic, for better or worse, we got a number of posts between Black Hand and tenngun showing us a fine example of what the proposed forums would be. With neither side accepting the others position on a rather trivial issue the discussion could drag on for days making me feel the management made the correct decision.

Of course as Claude and I have both pointed out, there are presently existing areas on the MLF in the Reenacting area where these discussions can be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.