• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC/HC ENGLISH SCALPER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished this one. A PC version of the classic English scalper knife. 7 1/8" blade of 01 steel, tapered in both directions. Blade and tang. A Boxwood handle secured with iron rivet pins. The handle is oversized as were the originals, having a slight overlapped gap on the under side, and extending into the blade area a tad bit. This is the typical English trade scalper of the 18th c., but with a superior steel, and an epoxy sealed tang to prevent water intrusion. The sheath is a center seam up the backside, of 6/7 oz vege-tan tooling leather, stained black with the vinegar/iron natural stain. I am beginning to love this stuff. It does not rub off onto your clothing. Hope you enjoy a look. I am well pleased as to how it all came out. I plan to do the French type also, when I get some time. Thankyou for any comments, or critiques.

Picture078.jpg

Thanks Twice. I hope we are still pards. The stain is made from vinegar with steel wool or iron dissolved in it for maybe a week or so. Wipe it on and it turns vege tan black as it dries.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Thanks Twice. I hope we are still pards. The stain is made from vinegar with steel wool or iron dissolved in it for maybe a week or so. Wipe it on and it turns vege tan black as it dries.

Pards? Hell man we are brothers for life. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the how to in the stain. Cider or wine vinegar..

Keep em' coming.
Twice.

Wick, I think you have another winner and I really like that sheath. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ron

Jeesh, that sounds simple as heck! I'm going to make some and give it a shot. Great color.

Wick I just finished a center seam sheath following your old post. Do you apply some type of sealer to the leather after it is formed and stained?

If you used alcohol to wet it, it will stay semi-hard. When thoroughly dry, I oil mine. This gives them a darker more pleasant color, adds protection to the blade finish, and replaces some of the oils lost in the forming process. Pure neatsfoot, or similar oil will work.

Wick, as usual your work is great! :bow:

Is there a significance to the lines on the sheath or did it just seem appropriate?

It definitely looks like something from that time period in my opinion!

Creased or cut designs were not uncommon on French and Euro sheaths, so I am assuming that the English would do the same so as to stay competitive. Artistic license based on assumption. I know. Dangerous in recreating original items, but it looks fitting to me. If anyone has better info, I'm open to hear it.

I just got the Ft. Ligonier archaeology book and, if I recall correctly, there is a bayonet scabbard and frog, both marked with cross hatch designs.

Back