• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

pawpaws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope not yet. Delightful when you can find them ripe.

Hoping for a good frost this week or next, so I can gather some persimmons.

Seems that some of the "public lands" were once a farm, and they had persimmon trees planted, probably to help with making jams and jellies, or maybe they liked persimmons. Folks don't know what the fruits are, or they simply ignore them, but they do help to make jams, and are good in cakes too.

LD

they had persimmon trees planted

Persimmons planted? :doh: When I had my farm I considered them an invasive weed. They got 'planted' by birds. If brush hogging wasn't done for a year the entire acreage would be covered with foot high persimmons. Yes, they do make good jams and pies. Also deer love them. But where not wanted they are a huge nuisance. BTW, the wood is very hard and has been used for things like mallets and golf driver heads. Hard to work in a shop as it gets the 'buggies' very quickly even in dry storage. Rots quicker than bananas.

Persimmons are related to ebony. The core is dark hard wood. I saw some spoons and cap boxes made of it at an event, it was beautiful, looked and felt like black horn.

Back