• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pawn Shop Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading about deals some have made recently at pawn shops I’d been wanting to stop by one myself. On the way home for Thanksgiving I finally stopped at a small gun/pawn/antique shop in a little town I pass through. He only had one muzzleloader and it was an old Traditions Deerhunter percussion in .50, 1:48, with a $99.99 tag on it. Wasn’t anything I was interested in for myself so I continued on home. Got to thinking that a small, light rifle like that would be a good grandkids gun to introduce them to BP. So on my way back to the camp today I stopped by to take a second look with my good reading glasses, a good penlight, and a shiny AAA battery. I checked it over, lock and trigger felt good, stock in good shape, the barrel is dirty but no signs of any pitting, rifling look ok too.
And I checked to make sure it wasn’t loaded. Tried to buy it for $90 out the door, ended up paying $100 out the door. So that’s about $92 plus tax. I’ll take it apart and start getting the barrel cleaned this afternoon and then tune the lock and trigger. It’s kinda an ugly little thing but at least I won’t feel bad if I have to trim the stock to fit the kids.

Do you think it was worth the money?
A few years back I found a god repo, 1862 CS Richmond Musket in a local pawn shop, for $200

Pawn shops and auction sites, ala eBay, are great places to keep an eye on when you're on the hunt. Or if you just like to be surprised by a deal!

Pawn shops were part of my early education. I did a career in the Navy so had a lot of exposure to certain establishment's always found outside the gates of every military base. I learned about pawn shops and "buy me drink" jiggle bars.

I'll leave the bar discussion for another thread! Early 80’s I had my eye on a a pump 12 gauge. The shop wanted $75 and wouldn't dicker. A few months passed and like a lot of the bigger, high flow, shops they would hold auction's (remember them? Live in person. Sitting in folding chairs with little paddles?) to clear stuff out.

Well I got that pump, a Mossberg 500. I don't think it had a box of shell's run through it, my winning bid? $27.00

I've had some very recent experiences setting up BP for my "other life." I've become bilateral with homes in Sitka Alaska and Yuma Arizona. Discussion's are ongoing about which one is "home." But it does present an opportunity for duplication!🤓

Plus I know how this discussion is going to end.

I've had my T/C .54 Renegade since I built the kit in '81 and thats what I wanted for Yuma. Do you think I could find a kit for $125 like the one I got in '81? Who changed shite without asking me?

List a kit built T/C .54 Renegade for $400 online and it sells before you can lift your finger off the enter key. So I did what terminally unemployed old farts do in this day of world wide communication and information. I trolled the web.

Just like the Man in Black did with his Cadillac I bought it one piece at a time. Mostly through eBay and other auction sites I bought all the parts and pieces to build a .54 caliber "Renegade." I'm heading down to Yuma for the 'season' this Saturday. I'll see if just like Johnny had to, I'll need an "A'Dapter Kit!"

Total for my BP Cadillac, including shipping, for (I'm hoping!) all the pieces to put a rifle together; $190.00 I'd say about a third were bought outright, a third for offer made and accepted and the final third to dickering.

My recent Pawn shop "Find" was accidental in a way. I was looking for a .54 Percussion pistol with an idea to get into some BP competitions when I'm down in the dry place. Plus, what's cooler than .54 hand cannon!

Once again, sticker shock, rarity and 'not quite what im looking for was depressing. I mean, I have the best permission slip ever in my 'which is home discussions.' Nothing worse than having the money and approval (which could expire any minute!) and finding your caps are wet.

I could of easily afforded to and dropped $300-400 for my pistol. But old visions of prices kept my safety on. My second kit was a CVA Philadelphia Derringer. $28 back then, $200 now. But I was nicely surprised when I asked a seller on GunBrokers a question.

The seller was offering a Lyman's .54 caliber Plains pistol. Asking price/starting bid $279 plus $50 shipping plus FFL fees. (I know, I know. I'll 'splain soon.) So here I am looking at over $300 for a used gun with poor quality photos on a web site known for overpriced and sometimes shady sellers. But I figured I'd better start shaking the bushes.

I sent an email asking the seller about condition of the barrel, history, kit built etc. I got a reply a couple of days later from a real nice lady. I was told that the seller was a pawn shop in non-Chicago Illinois. They had no answers to my questions, they're a friggin pawn shop after all. Replied thanking her for her time. Unfortunately the pistol was what I was in the market for but too spendy.

Almost immediately a reply came back asking what I could afford? I used the wife, gave me a under $200 budget, excuse. (God bless those tossed under the bus and never knowing it happened. Amen.) I wrote back with a $215, shipping included, offer.

She came back with let me check with the boss and a quick follow up with a 'boss accepted' reply. (I think she just possum'd up on me!) Another great thing was that we left GunBrokers behind after the first few emails.

Now the only issue was the FFL which everyone on this forum knows isn't required for the method we use for spending our children's inheritance. But this is an Illinois pawn shop and the lady I was dealing with knew that FFL shipping wasn't required. But the 90 y.o. owner required all firearms to be shipped FFL. I figured he had a run in with Elliot Ness back in the day.

On my end the FFL was no biggie. My neighbors, Ken and Charly of 5 Shot Firearms, run a shop out of their home and I've been doing business with them since I retired (became terminally unemployable) in '15. Because I'm a retired member, in questionable standing, from Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. I've never paid more than $10 for transfer and reciept service. Besides I entertain them!

So when I contacted them and asked them if the could accept a "soon to be banned assault firearm", a firearm that could jeopardize their FFL licenses!" They had no fear and accepted the challenge! True Americans these folks are!

Three or four days latter I get an email, unfortunately lost somewhere, from Ken. I believe it acknowledged the receipt of my "soon to be banned assault firearm!" But there were also a lot of "What?'s?", Laughing emojis, references to me being a nickname for Richard and my resemblance to a humans lowest sphincter.

Later contact with Ken I got his opinion that the Lyman's Plains pistol was in "great shape" and I got a "heck of a deal."

In my long winded way it comes down to, you got a "heck of a deal." Enjoy and boast! A "heck of a deal" is not complete without rubbing your buddies nose's in it!🤣
Great story! Back in the day, I found a CVA single shot .50 cal pistol kit for $25 because it was in the store too long, because no one wanted to waste a N.J. pistol permit on it, except me. Succeded from N.J. 20 years ago! lol. For me, finding great underpriced deals is a big part of my gun hobby.

Theres plenty of pawnshops around my area and I do travel alot... I guess its time to start peaking in some of these places!
Keep in mind that it's easier to buy stuff, than to sell. Pawn shops often have cheap guns overpriced, and expensive guns underpriced. Used muzzeloaders are usually underpriced! In South Carolina where I live, we just have deer season. From August 15th till January 1st, you can shoot deer with anything you want, on private land. People who shoot muzzleloaders, do so because they are like most of us. Of course we have NSSA matches. Anyway, I have enough production guns.

Good on Grand Pa.

Once every month i go pawn shop hopping. Have seen very few serviceable muzzleloaders in Lawton pawnshops. About ten years ago i bought a most likely unfired TC .54 Fire Hawk for $100.

Considering the 2 hour drive to any decently sized gun show a buddy and I have gotten in the habit of hitting every gun and pawn shop in a hours frive in any direction a few times per year

More convient as far as scheduling, cost is same, if we hit jax or orlando the spousal units can do their own shopping, etc

Much better experience all around

Here in New Zealand you have to have a Firearms Dealers Licence to buy and sell guns professionally , the local pawn shops and second hand goods shops didn't have licenses so they used to send customers to me and I'd tip them with their preferred tipple . It worked for me

Considering the 2 hour drive to any decently sized gun show a buddy and I have gotten in the habit of hitting every gun and pawn shop in a hours frive in any direction a few times per year

More convient as far as scheduling, cost is same, if we hit jax or orlando the spousal units can do their own shopping, etc

Much better experience all around
Don't expect to find a great deal right away! But, if you go by a few pawn shops every month, you will find a great deal within a few years!

Some years back, 2005, I was in a pawn shop, can't remember why, but I ended up buying a Winchester Mod 94, 30-30 for $209.00 dollars. Guy said they bought it from an indian. The gun was painted black with paint. I cleaned up with turpentine and it ended up being a nice rifle made in 1979. Good shooter too. It's the only gun I've ever bought in a pawn shop, matter of fact that's the last time I've been in a pawn shop.

The little rifle is back together and ready to shoot. The lock and trigger tuned up nicely and the action is smooth. The barrel still has a couple of rough spots, I’ve smoothed it out pretty good but still would like it smoother. May work it later with some JB bore paste & bore bright. Somebody was definitely using Pyrodex in that thing! But overall I’m pleased, it’s nice to have a knock about gun for the kids.

Attachments

• 2BA35997-1067-44CC-B431-FBE3A06E4B4E.jpeg
    2BA35997-1067-44CC-B431-FBE3A06E4B4E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 45B09036-5DB8-4036-81E6-31DA50B62D87.jpeg
    45B09036-5DB8-4036-81E6-31DA50B62D87.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FDD9A374-0AC1-41BF-BAF5-79937541BEFA.jpeg
    FDD9A374-0AC1-41BF-BAF5-79937541BEFA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
The little rifle is back together and ready to shoot. The lock and trigger tuned up nicely and the action is smooth. The barrel still has a couple of rough spots, I’ve smoothed it out pretty good but still would like it smoother. May work it later with some JB bore paste & bore bright. Somebody was definitely using Pyrodex in that thing! But overall I’m pleased, it’s nice to have a knock about gun for the kids.
Looks, verrry nice! Good job, TDM!
‘Poet

Sounds like a worthy endeavor. What can you buy for a Benjamin these days? I stopped at a McDonald's for the first time in years, a quarter pounder with cheese cost me $5.70. In my home state it would have been 10% more with sales tax.

The first time out with kids when the smoke rolls back and they look at you wide eyed with a big grin that gun will become priceless.

Very cool idea.
Yes sir, we quit going to the fast food joints like, McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, etc. For the same price or a couple bucks more, we can get better food at a mom & pop restaurant. If they wnt to pay $20/hr for their help, they can keep their damned food.

If that was on an online or live auction, it probably would have gone for 2 to 2-1/2 times what you paid.

Don't expect to find a great deal right away! But, if you go by a few pawn shops every month, you will find a great deal within a few years!
I can find more deals than I can afford, that is for sure. My buddy has deeper pockets and a stop at an out of the way got him several additions to his S&W revolver collection at a very good price. Hundreds of dollars better than what you'd get at a show.

Just this year I scored my CVA .54 percussion for $120, I know of a stainless Traditions percussion .50 for $129 price tag, probably could get it for a bit less out the door. Another buddy scored a CVA .45 percussion and a TC .50 inline for $85 total.

This reply you made totally made my day. Excellent wording 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thank you!

I try to keep the "fun" in "FUNdamentaly underdeveloped socially and intellectually."

Never understood what it meant but the Nuns and Fathers put it on my report cards during my 16 years of Catholic education.

Even my B.S. diploma from a (Denver Catholic institute of higher education) has an '*'
at the end of 'SCIENCE*'. Of course you have to look at the back of that sheepskin to find the "FUN" statement.

I'd let you know the name of the College, now University, in Denver but they keep renewing the injuction and restraining order. You'd think that after 35 years they could let it go?

Very soon, like tomorrow. I’m anxious to see how it shoots!
TDM, thanks for sharing your M/L story and keeping us updated on your process and progress. I've got my fingers crossed that you'll end up with a 'Shooter!'

Hope you didn't mind my blathering on your thread. Everybody I know has heard, too many times, my line of bul...

Gotta go!

Yes dear? No, I wasn't bothering folks again......

Latest posts

Back