• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawn shop find...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the drum is out you might be able to remove the breach plug and push the load out. (some drums, like on the CVA/Traditions arms screw into both barrel and breach plug.)

Got my sling off but still wimpy. Couldn't wait. was able to take gun apart..remove barrel from sock. Determined the drum is 5/16-18 . I have a good assortment of grease fitting, none are 5/16-18. I have 5/16-24, and 18 TPI may not be made (fine threads more desirable for grease fittings).
So...I tried ball puller and the puller stripped out. Before I go through the ball, I'll stop, order a 5/16 drum, and use a 1/4 grease fitting and blow out with grease. Time is on my side.
By the way...no markings on the barrel at all. I would rather not remove the breech if I can help it, the drum threads may go into breach plug and that may be difficult to align perfectly.
Dan

Removing breach may be best way. Being a hex barrel it will be easier to realign than you think. Besides, depending on barrel condition having the breach out will make lapping and cleaning easier too. Should you need to go further and do the refurbishing you will be able to get better view of the work with it out. At least if you get it out and do all the work it needs then it's just a one time deal and done.

Bang's got it right. Old breech plugs usually can be removed w/ penetrating fluid , good vise , and big wrench. Never had any alignment issues putting plug back in place. If slight adjustment necessary inserting drum , the right size tap will correct problem......Charlie

Update, I received a drum and nipple today . I used teflon tape and screwed in the drum, then a grease fitting in the nipple threads. I was able to push out the load with a grease gun, I couldn't have done it without my powered grease gun. My shoulder is still not well but I couldn't wait.
I then blew out most of the grease with compressed air. Cleaning the grease out was a joy.
Just kidding! It was a nasty mess but I cleaned it out .
I'll have to work on the barrel, cleaning it, possibly lapping, but at a slow pace. Thanks for all who have replied with advice, this rifle will shoot eventually! Dan

Back