• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawn Shop CVA Mountain Rifle Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brother Frontier’s, I’m now a feisty 84 years young and my eye sight is “tricky”. This beloved Forum gave great advice. Move the rear sight farther away from your sighting eye. SO, not wanting to carve into the barrel, I prayed and looked at the CVA mountain rifle of ‘70 and realized i could simply reverse the sight and gain a 3” advantage’. What a difference.

Brother Frontier’s, I’m now a feisty 84 years young and my eye sight is “tricky”. This beloved Forum gave great advice. Move the rear sight farther away from your sighting eye. SO, not wanting to carve into the barrel, I prayed and looked at the CVA mountain rifle of ‘70 and realized i could simply reverse the sight and gain a 3” advantage’. What a difference.
Nice find. I've got a .58 and .45 just like it.

The only good deal I ever found in a hock shop was a mod 94 Winchester. All the other good deals I have gotten have been from members of this board. Lotsa good deals right here and here is where I look first when I'm looking to buy. Sometimes my wishes just show up here.

USA barrels were Douglas
Nit Wit
B.S., stop spreading that olde story line, your a moderator.
Douglas only made the first few hundred, all the rest where made, cut and bored in Spain,
,even those marked made in USA.
The most involved and concise conversation of the CVA MR barrels found on the internet are in the archives of this forum and have been for a decade.
The facts and verifiable links are here.

I find it hard to believe that a barrel marked made in USA is made in Spain. Wouldn't that be Fraud? If you can show me definitive proof, I will change my opinion.
Nit Wit

Here is another fact, the USA made barrels have standard American threads nipple and clean out. The clean out is 10:32.
I would highly doubt that the factory in Spain used standard American threads. My Spanish made Mt. Rifle barrels have metric threads.
Nit Wit

It's pretty common for a manufacturer to use the standards of the buyer simply because that is the specification for the contract. That said, I'll have to look at my late 70s barrel when I'm working on it and see what it says and if there are other proof marks stamped in it. Even if it was made in Spain, it seems to be a decent barrel. That's the one part of my traditions kit that I have no complaints with, the barrel seems to be decent quality. There are a lot of other areas where my kit was severely lacking!

It's pretty common for a manufacturer to use the standards of the buyer simply because that is the specification for the contract. That said, I'll have to look at my late 70s barrel when I'm working on it and see what it says and if there are other proof marks stamped in it. Even if it was made in Spain, it seems to be a decent barrel. That's the one part of my traditions kit that I have no complaints with, the barrel seems to be decent quality. There are a lot of other areas where my kit was severely lacking!
The USA made were done in America, they later trained Spanish workers in the US shop. Then they went back to Spain and started making their own Mt.Rifles.
NW

B.S., stop spreading that olde story line, your a moderator.
Douglas only made the first few hundred, all the rest where made, cut and bored in Spain,
,even those marked made in USA.
The most involved and concise conversation of the CVA MR barrels found on the internet are in the archives of this forum and have been for a decade.
The facts and verifiable links are here.
If they were made in Spain, they would have Spanish proof stamos. Spain can not export barrels that are not proofed. Same as Italy.

Found a CVA .50 caliber 32" barrel Mountain Rifle in a pawn shop today. It is an early American made one. Made in America on the barrel. The browning on the barrel, lock, trigger guard, and butt plate is near 95%. German silver patch box, wedge plates, and wedges. Pewter nose cap. Bore is excellent and looks shiny new. Stock is really nice. Came with all the original paperwork and some extras like a short starter, nipple wrench, and powder measure. Paper work is all dated 1977. Whoever owned it took real good care of it. Doesn't look like it was hardly used. It kept asking me to take it home with me. The Made In America sold me and the 1977 date was a seller as that is the year I bought my first muzzle loader which I still have. I got it for $280 out the door. I am happy with it. Will probably redo the stock to a darker color.
Whoa! Great find. I have two and have been offered more than $400 for each. No deal. They are shooters. Polecat 🦨

So I find on those mountain guns silver, brass and steel patch boxes and have one with no box cutout.
The .54 caliber mountain rifles didn't have a patch box. Just the .45 and .50 rifles. I have never seen an actual factory mountain rifle with brass furniture. Maybe someone replaced the factory furniture with furniture from a Hawken. I do believe it fits.

Latest posts

Back