• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pawn Shop CVA Mountain Rifle Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That CVA Mountain Rifle is a good one!

I like a darker stain, too. My favorite is to use minwax red mahogany, then slather on some dark walnut. I then steel wool it till I get the right tone, I like the reddish hint.

David
NM
I use walnut stain also.

Found a CVA .50 caliber 32" barrel Mountain Rifle in a pawn shop today. It is an early American made one. Made in America on the barrel. The browning on the barrel, lock, trigger guard, and butt plate is near 95%. German silver patch box, wedge plates, and wedges. Pewter nose cap. Bore is excellent and looks shiny new. Stock is really nice. Came with all the original paperwork and some extras like a short starter, nipple wrench, and powder measure. Paper work is all dated 1977. Whoever owned it took real good care of it. Doesn't look like it was hardly used. It kept asking me to take it home with me. The Made In America sold me and the 1977 date was a seller as that is the year I bought my first muzzle loader which I still have. I got it for $280 out the door. I am happy with it. Will probably redo the stock to a darker color.
Wow, that's got a four screw patch box. That makes it an early one and possibly made in America. Good find!

SMOKE POLE SAM…I’M 84 EONS OLD WITH CATARACT SURGERY AND MY SIGHTING EYE (RIGHT) IS FOR LONG DISTANCE. FOUR YEARS AGO BOTH WERE CLEAR AS A CHRYSTAL COLD MOUNTAIN STREAM, BUT NOW NOT SO MUCH. SAW A FORUM MEMBER SUGGESTING MOVING THE REAR SIGHT CLOSER TO MUZZLE. I JUST REVERSED THE REAR SIGHT TWO INCHES. GREAT HELP!

HERES YOUR COUSIN…

Attachments

• B71C62E8-424E-40CC-B3BD-7B4F0D011DE2.jpeg
    B71C62E8-424E-40CC-B3BD-7B4F0D011DE2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
SMOKE POLE SAM…I’M 84 EONS OLD WITH CATARACT SURGERY AND MY SIGHTING EYE (RIGHT) IS FOR LONG DISTANCE. FOUR YEARS AGO BOTH WERE CLEAR AS A CHRYSTAL COLD MOUNTAIN STREAM, BUT NOW NOT SO MUCH. SAW A FORUM MEMBER SUGGESTING MOVING THE REAR SIGHT CLOSER TO MUZZLE. I JUST REVERSED THE REAR SIGHT TWO INCHES. GREAT HELP!
Jonathan did that for me on my cva. I was hitting all over the board at 50 yds. What happened is, on my rear sight I was seeing a ghost sight about an 1/8" above the steel sight. So Jonathan removed the rear sight, had me hold and aim my rifle, and he started moving the sight down the barrel until it was perfectly clear. Then he filed a new wedge on the barrel, inserted the rear sight and I was touching them at 50 yds. Also got my deer that year with no problem. Truth be known, that year I could have closed my eyes and got the deer, couldn't have been 10 yds when it walked out right in front of me!!

I have two, made in USA, and my wife would kill me if I darkened the maple stocks. To each her/his own. Dale
I don't mind the lighter stock. I just prefer the darker colors for a stock. The stock on this .50 is near perfect condition so I am thinking of just leaving it as is.

Found a CVA .50 caliber 32" barrel Mountain Rifle in a pawn shop today. It is an early American made one. Made in America on the barrel. The browning on the barrel, lock, trigger guard, and butt plate is near 95%. German silver patch box, wedge plates, and wedges. Pewter nose cap. Bore is excellent and looks shiny new. Stock is really nice. Came with all the original paperwork and some extras like a short starter, nipple wrench, and powder measure. Paper work is all dated 1977. Whoever owned it took real good care of it. Doesn't look like it was hardly used. It kept asking me to take it home with me. The Made In America sold me and the 1977 date was a seller as that is the year I bought my first muzzle loader which I still have. I got it for $280 out the door. I am happy with it. Will probably redo the stock to a darker color.
I did an early CVA with Kiwi shoe polish then about 100 coats of hand rubbed linseed and turpentine.

I read posts on other gun forums by police officers about the widows that come into the police station to dump their deceased husbands gun collection. Most women don't like guns and these old widows are just relieved to get them out of the house. Alot of times these are quality vintage guns that were taken care of, but the department policy is that all surrendered weapons must be destroyed.

The "gun buybacks" are all about getting inherited gun collections in for destruction.

If one is going to the nursing home or hospice, it really may be a good plan to sell that gun collection first.
By that time you may not be up to selling them. Granddaughter gets to pick one for memory's sake. The rest get donated to the local farmer/sportsman association. They can auction them at their annual show.

I just refinished a CVA Kentucky that had a real light stock, both the front and rear were two different colors. Took Aqua Fortis and made a perfect match on front and rear, turned out really nice.

Having built a CVA of that era and now building a Traditions, all I can say is they don't make them like that anymore!

Back