• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patterson video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess cap and ball revolvers are going mainstream now that people can’t get handgun ammo.

When I was in college, with little to no money, the discovery of the cap & ball revolver allowed me a more economical means of shooting.

If I remember correctly the Navy Arms 1858 Remington cost me less than $50. I also purchased a round ball mold and cast the balls over the kitchen stove in the apartment.

With the cost of free wheel weights, caps, powder and good old Crisco it was cheaper to shoot that thing than a .22LR pistol.

I buy the factory swaged round balls on sale today. I'd rather spend time shooting than casting. Instead of Crisco, I use a 50/50 solution of beeswax and vegetable oil.

Other than that, it's still costs about the same as shooting a .22LR gun. Even the .22LR ammunition is becoming unobtanium.

Even better than when I was in college are the new improvements in parts. Think Slix-Shot nipples.

The Internet wasn't around back then but now, shooters in the black powder community can now share their knowledge at the speed of an electron.

We took chances, back in those days, of buying a gun and hoping that it would work. Thanks to forums like this and YouTube, we can get reviews on the products before we make a big investment.

If we do purchase something of a lemon, there are videos and articles on how to fix the darn thing.

There probably aren't too many people that are going to use a cap & ball revolver as an EDC gun but if they can't get anything else, it is not a bad idea.

I have a modern revolver that has been back to the factory four times. The last time I sent it back, I told them to remove the front sight so it doesn't hurt when they shoved it up their #$%. I also told them that I have flintlock pistols that were more reliable than that POS.

They refused to give me a refund and I don't trust it. It sits in a drawer and I cannot sell it to someone with a clear conscience.

The reason that I say all that is to point out that IF nothing else is available, a well tuned and reliable cap & ball revolver makes sense for EDC.

Fortunately, I'm not in a situation where I have to rely on the antiquated technology but for pure shooting pleasure and to save on modern ammo the cap & ball revolver cannot be beat.

In St. Louis years ago, a carjacker was shot with a 44 dragoon. One shot did him in.

I don't want to get too far of the topic of the OP's original post but here's a link to an article about a man who had to rely on a cap & ball revolver for personal protection.

How a Black-Powder Revolver Saved My Life

Anyway, back to the Patterson revolver. It must have been a lot more reassuring back in the day to carry 5 rounds in the EDC of the times compared to one in a single-shot pistol.

I've had to confront bad guys with just my fists or a knife. Most of the time they backed down when I locked eyes with them and let them know in no-uncertain-terms that I would not let them live if they tried anything with me.

That wasn't any fun and I will admit frightening but it was either them or me. So a Patterson revolver at the time was probably a sensation for those that owned them.

Here's some other perspectives on the revolver.

Note to self: Get it appraised before you attempt to sell it.

The Patterson film is the name of the famous Bigfoot hoax video... I thought this was gonna be about that when I clicked it haha

Attachments

• ms-7W1QvU.gif
    ms-7W1QvU.gif
    827 KB · Views: 92
When I was in college, with little to no money, the discovery of the cap & ball revolver allowed me a more economical means of shooting.

If I remember correctly the Navy Arms 1858 Remington cost me less than $50. I also purchased a round ball mold and cast the balls over the kitchen stove in the apartment.

With the cost of free wheel weights, caps, powder and good old Crisco it was cheaper to shoot that thing than a .22LR pistol.

I buy the factory swaged round balls on sale today. I'd rather spend time shooting than casting. Instead of Crisco, I use a 50/50 solution of beeswax and vegetable oil.

Other than that, it's still costs about the same as shooting a .22LR gun. Even the .22LR ammunition is becoming unobtanium.

Even better than when I was in college are the new improvements in parts. Think Slix-Shot nipples.

The Internet wasn't around back then but now, shooters in the black powder community can now share their knowledge at the speed of an electron.

We took chances, back in those days, of buying a gun and hoping that it would work. Thanks to forums like this and YouTube, we can get reviews on the products before we make a big investment.

If we do purchase something of a lemon, there are videos and articles on how to fix the darn thing.

There probably aren't too many people that are going to use a cap & ball revolver as an EDC gun but if they can't get anything else, it is not a bad idea.

I have a modern revolver that has been back to the factory four times. The last time I sent it back, I told them to remove the front sight so it doesn't hurt when they shoved it up their #$%. I also told them that I have flintlock pistols that were more reliable than that POS.

They refused to give me a refund and I don't trust it. It sits in a drawer and I cannot sell it to someone with a clear conscience.

The reason that I say all that is to point out that IF nothing else is available, a well tuned and reliable cap & ball revolver makes sense for EDC.

Fortunately, I'm not in a situation where I have to rely on the antiquated technology but for pure shooting pleasure and to save on modern ammo the cap & ball revolver cannot be beat.

Keep in mind that C&B revolvers were EDCs back in the day. You're absolutely right, they're still as effective as modern firearms.

Guess cap and ball revolvers are going mainstream now that people can’t get handgun ammo.
[That is , I think, true.Early Modern Firearms who are the Pietta distributors in USA are "OUT OF STOCK" on a lot of their percussion revolvers.I did not check the unmentionables but my suspect is they are OUT OF STOCK also.
Fortunately my supply and components are in good shape.
Bunk

I’d like one but don’t like the idea of loading it without an attached loading lever.

I thought it was funny this spring when I heard there was a lot of people whining about not being able to buy guns through the mail. Not so funny as I seen a couple months later all the revolvers going “out of stock” on my favorite Christmas catalog BP sites.

Dang it, Arn! I think I've seen those photos before, and they made me want one of those Patersons. I had about gotten over it, and now here they are again!

I've pretty well exhausted my gun budget for the year, but there's a new year coming up in less than a week... Maybe I can start a new budget...

I really like that holster, too. Your leatherwork is as good as it gets!

Notchy Bob

Thanks! My Paterson does not get shot that often, but it is a lot of fun. Ever since I first became aware of them, they just had a certain appeal to me. There are a lot of far more foolish ways to spend money than getting one of these! :cool:

Here are a few more pictures of the holster that I might not have posted yet...
100_5143.JPG

100_5145.JPG

100_5148.JPG

Back