• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patterns: Pedersoli 12ga & Ruger O/U

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF70

40 Cal
Reaction score
Patterned both guns today in the back yard at 40Y.

I intended to hunt turkey with the beautiful Pedersoli almost no matter what but I wanted to see how it stacked up to the modern gun.

The Ruger was shooting 2 3/4" shells with 1 1/16 oz #4.

The SBS is 80gr each of FFg and #6 shot, loaded Skychief style.

Regarding that, I had intended to compare Skychief vs. "normal" loading style, but didn't shoot the latter because I had before and I could tell this right away:

The left barrel, choked Mod, shot very very similar with the Skychief load as with "normal" procedure. The right, improved cyl, definitely shot tighter the Skychief way - you can see that the right is very close in density to the left! The Skychief method sort of evens them out - which it is basically designed to do.

Now, if I were shooting #6 in the Ruger, I'd definitely have more pellets in the zone than the ML. But the ML will kill a turkey at 40Y with a good shot. (I do still struggle a bit with the SBS POI difference between the two barrels.

And that Ruger has some hole in the pattern too! And the price of turkey shotshells (if you can even find them) is FREAKING CRAZY now.

Left to right it's Ruger, Pedersoli Right, Pedersoli Left.

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
Back