• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patterned the fowler for a bit today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using #4-#6 mixed shot for the last ten years, from turkeys to squirrels and everything above and below with great success, I don't recall ever loosing anything I shot at with it. Why this mix(?), well a guy gave me a two liter bottle full of it and I'm pretty sure it will out last me, HAH!
Robby
My brother passed away years ago ad left his only (prodigal) son a Navy arms double 12 ga which he promptly sold without offering it to me. BUT, I inherited all his smoothbore fixin's including an alcohol bottle full of #5 shot and a big jug of mixed shot from 7 1/2 to 4 which I used in my humble Traditions 12 ga single to nail everything from doves to squirrels. Sold the 12 due to financial troubles back in the day. The mixed shot works well, and used it up, but I still have most of my #5 shot. I'm preparing an old musket barrel to build a long barreled trade gun or fowler in 24 guage (percussion) and hope to take up the smoothbore once again. I will have to find some 24 ga wads for it and need a source. I also want to try Skychief's legendary load in the 40" barreled trade gun. I will probably shoot small game with it, squirrel, opossum, 'coon, and whatever runs across the back yard to the creek whenever game is required by the Lady of the house.

My brother passed away years ago ad left his only (prodigal) son a Navy arms double 12 ga which he promptly sold without offering it to me. BUT, I inherited all his smoothbore fixin's including an alcohol bottle full of #5 shot and a big jug of mixed shot from 7 1/2 to 4 which I used in my humble Traditions 12 ga single to nail everything from doves to squirrels. Sold the 12 due to financial troubles back in the day. The mixed shot works well, and used it up, but I still have most of my #5 shot. I'm preparing an old musket barrel to build a long barreled trade gun or fowler in 24 guage (percussion) and hope to take up the smoothbore once again. I will have to find some 24 ga wads for it and need a source. I also want to try Skychief's legendary load in the 40" barreled trade gun. I will probably shoot small game with it, squirrel, opossum, 'coon, and whatever runs across the back yard to the creek whenever game is required by the Lady of the house.

@Treestalker - if you need sources for 24 guage wads, try Ballistic Products or TOW for starters.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Overshot-Cards-500bag/productinfo/OS/24/ or
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cards-Filler-Wads/departments/856/
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=wads 24 ga

Some of you boys are using too much powder for good patterns. 80 grains isn't needed in a 20-bore and will blow your pattern.
You can still have usable cylinder-bore patterns at 40 yards if you load them right.
2 to 2 1/2 drams is plenty and will push 1-1 1/4 ounces well enough.

I'm with Brit Smoothie regarding cushion wads. Old Col. Hawker recommended wads no more than 1/3 the diameter of the bore.
(And it works) :)

All best,
R.

75485176_2556257177791525_6859911517379231744_o.jpg

That is a nice looking fowler, I like the slim forward stock and barrel profile. Looks like it would point like a dream. :thumb:

May I ask who the maker is ?

Ive been getting my shotgun wads from Mike at Flintlocks Inc. A nice family run business that's very customer service oriented.
317-933-3441.
Btw, they will send you a small trial package of wards to see if they work in your smoothie.

Noted was the mention of Mike's Wads. I have used those for a long time with much success. I have picked up their wads at their NMLRA booth at Friendship, Ind. It is a well run operation.

Back