• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pattern for simple Shooting Bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to make a simple shooting back but want to follow (loosely and crudely) any documented examples from 1750-1780's.

Does any one have a recommended source for patterns that are not too difficult for beginner?

It's still available from several sources if you search and it's a great book. We did have a pattern for a pouch here as a sticky, possibly posted by Clyde, but I don't remember where and it may not have survived the change to the updated software. I did save it and maybe another pattern but they are on my old computer (just changed over a few days ago) and It'll be a while before i go back to finally transfer all the data.

I just checked TOW, and it is shown as being in stock.

thanks!
I really love working with TOW. Their customer service is always so helpful.

Do you think this is a good book for a beginning maker? Does it give you a list of needed materials and tools for each of the projects?

It's an excellent choice for a beginner. Loaded with tips and suggestions. He shows you how to do it with minimal tools.

After making a couple you will be making your own patterns with ease.

Doesn't get much simpler than the Lyman bag,and add straps as seen here,
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/hc-bag.118354/
Essentially a large rectangle folded in slightly unsymmetrical thirds (smallest "third" form the flap), with a smaller rectangle inside, and sewn along the edges.
Another good simple one is a bag documented to Colonial Virginia that is also a simple rectangle with a divider only sewn on the sides, but it is "turned" which provides a slight bit more volume. It uses a long one piece strap sewn to the back of the bag at one end and attaches with a button and a series of button hole in the strap to adjust for length at the other end. Hopefully someone can provide a link to one or more of the various articles about the bag. Here are some picks of my version that I can send you a pattern for.
20171106_152109.jpg 20171106_153226.jpg 20171106_152028.jpg
I made it a little more complex than the original, with a thin piece of leather sewn over the top edges where the flap is sewn to the back, and I had to sew fabric to the back of the strap as the leather I used is too stretchy to work on it's own as a strap.

Looking to make a simple shooting back but want to follow (loosely and crudely) any documented examples from 1750-1780's.

Does any one have a recommended source for patterns that are not too difficult for beginner?
There is a pattern in the how to sticky section on the sexond page downloadable it appears....look at that one as well.

Essentially a large rectangle folded in slightly unsymmetrical thirds (smallest "third" form the flap), with a smaller rectangle inside, and sewn along the edges.
Another good simple one is a bag documented to Colonial Virginia that is also a simple rectangle with a divider only sewn on the sides, but it is "turned" which provides a slight bit more volume. It uses a long one piece strap sewn to the back of the bag at one end and attaches with a button and a series of button hole in the strap to adjust for length at the other end. Hopefully someone can provide a link to one or more of the various articles about the bag. Here are some picks of my version that I can send you a pattern for.
View attachment 21596 View attachment 21597 View attachment 21598
I made it a little more complex than the original, with a thin piece of leather sewn over the top edges where the flap is sewn to the back, and I had to sew fabric to the back of the strap as the leather I used is too stretchy to work on it's own as a strap.

Thanks pard! I'd love the pattern to that one!

I made a bag loosely following designs found on the internet. I made mine approx 10" x 12" since I'm a big guy and tend to carry more stuff than I really need, however I"m happy with it. I did make templates of the pieces and will post them if there is interest. I used an old beaver pelt that the mice had gnawed on saved from another project. There is no one type of bag so make your own way.Gordies posssible bag.jpg

View attachment 21596 View attachment 21597 View attachment 21598

What grade or thickness of leather did you use? I have some deer skins I harvested this year but I still need to flesh, stretch and tan them so that won't be until it warms up and I can work outside.

What grade or thickness of leather did you use? I have some deer skins I harvested this year but I still need to flesh, stretch and tan them so that won't be until it warms up and I can work outside.
I haven't made my Lyman pouch yet.
I think Tenngun is right, deer skins will be too soft, wrong temper, for this type of bag, maybe if you add a cloth liner so the bag doesn't stretch under the weight of lead roundballs and such. I plan to use the thinnest, yet stiffest leather I can find. Would like to find some 2 to 3oz horse hide. But will most likely use 3 to 4 oz veg tan cow hide, maybe goat. But, I'll be making mine like the original, in a belt bag configuration.

Most strap over the shoulder pouches will end up similar to the pattern shown for the TotW pattern above. Its the personal dimensions that need to be addressed for a good pouch. I want the opening to be at least one inch greater than the measurement of my fist with the thumb out to be able to reach into the pouch easily. For me, that length is 8". The depth should be 1 to 2 inches greater than the opening. The wider the opening, the more the depth should equal the opening. Too deep and the contents get all jumbled and hard to pull out of the pouch. I used a pattern from Tandy by Stephen Dowd Hughes and considered elements as presented in Madison grant's book on pouches. I do like the insert flap pocket and smaller pockets on the inside. The sewn on knife sheath and powder measure sheath makes the over the shoulder strap too busy for my tastes and add items that will catch on brush and can fall out. The bag should be of relatively stiff leather to take the load of the contents. The flap can be of softer leather to be pulled up easily and fall back down.

Try some pouch designs out of cheap cloth and see how you like the feel and utility. These pouches will become very personal and should be designed to suit the user.

Lets take a look at a couple of pouches from paintings by Carl Bodmer from the 1830's. when he was the painter who recorded the events of the Western trip of Maxmillian.
IMG_0462_Small.jpg

This is an image of a hunter living in New Harmony, Ohio. Hunting is not a lucrative profession. His shoes are tied, no expensive buckles. He has a flintlock rifle on his shoulder. One fairly large horn, there is no visible separate priming horn. The shot pouch is relatively small, just large enough to reach inside with his hand, I would guess its about 8" wide and about the same depth. The flap is small to get our of the way easily. The horn is on a separate strap.

The next image is of a naturalist named Leseuer who was also in New Harmony, Ohio at the time Bodmer was passing through. Leseuer was probably using a fowling piece to collect birds for study. He has a large pouch with a hair on flap.
IMG_0466 Small.JPG

I don't see a horn. He has a sling on the fowling piece.

These are only two examples, but you can see that size can be dependent on the intended use of the pouch.

I haven't made my Lyman pouch yet.
I think Tenngun is right, deer skins will be too soft, wrong temper, for this type of bag, maybe if you add a cloth liner so the bag doesn't stretch under the weight of lead roundballs and such. I plan to use the thinnest, yet stiffest leather I can find. Would like to find some 2 to 3oz horse hide. But will most likely use 3 to 4 oz veg tan cow hide, maybe goat. But, I'll be making mine like the original, in a belt bag configuration.

Could you recommend a good source for these hides? Tandy doesn't have all these selections (and are often too expensive).

Back