pattern for a huters frock coat

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by catackett, Jul 22, 2012.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 22, 2012 #1

catackett

catackett

catackett

32 Cal.

Were can I get a good pattern for a hunters frock coat for someone in 1820-1840 that my wife could make for me? :idunno:

2. Jul 22, 2012 #2

LaBonte

LaBonte

LaBonte

Passed On

This the basic pattern of a frock as used by some when making hunters coats: http://www.amazon.com/1830s-1840s-1850s-Frock-Pattern/dp/B002A9847K

It's similar to the frocks illustrated in the Museum of the Fur Trades Mtn Man Sketchbooks 1 & 2.

a fancy version in brain tan deer with quillwork - the same basic pattern was also used for plain coats - see A. J. Miller's art work for examples
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same cut could could also be worn with a cape of capes much like the eastern rifleman's coat (top image) which can also be used as a pattern in either leather or cloth (lower image)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got lots more images if you need more ideas..and one thing to note - the Indians often made these for the "whites" and they were most often well cut/tailored and well sewn with either thread (linen, cotton, or silk show up on trade lists) or animal sinew.
    The crude aka primitive frankenstitch type mountain man clothing is mostly fictional, but it all depends on what your desires are.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #3

kenhulme

kenhulme

kenhulme

32 Cal.

Chris - do you mean a Hunting Frock? A Frock Coat is a different critter, and was worn by gentlemen like we would wear a suit jacket or sport coat. A Frock Coat is what LaBonte showed you a pattern of.

A Hunting Shirt is usually a pull over. A Hunting Frock is open down the front and wraps around; otherwise they're pretty much the same. Here's a basic shirt pattern I found awhile back. To it you can add capes with fringe, fringe on the sleeves, etc. if you so choose. Different styles for different areas. Here in the South the didn't seem to wear much fringe. That was a New England thing...

If anything is worn over a hunting shirt or frock it's usually something like a capote coat.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #4

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

Since you are in Texas you may get some useful information from here;http://www.texianlegacy.com/
    for the type of hunting frock that might have been worn during that time period. If you are looking for something more formal, then the 1830 frock coat patterns are what you'll need. You can find patterns for that here; http://www.patternsoftime.com/products.asp?cat=20&pg=2 Now, if this is indeed the type of garment you want, then you and your wife need to check out this blog spot; http://daniellescostumingdiary.blogspot.com/2012/06/1830s-frock-coat-frustration-and-lining.html

If it is a hunting frock you are after then I will try and find a pattern for you, but it might be best just to gather a few pictures and go from there. You will want to get at least 3 yards of heavy natural colored canvas, at least 7 ounce. You can then dye it to achieve the desired color, I used powdered walnut hulls on mine.

5. Jul 23, 2012 #5

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

6. Jul 23, 2012 #6

catackett

catackett

catackett

32 Cal.

Thank you for all of the good information.
    I was looking for a hunting frock pattern.
    I will look good at the SWRR this year. :grin:

7. Jul 23, 2012 #7

LRB

LRB

LRB

75 Cal.

A hunting shirt is open in the front, and will have fringe and a cape, in it's purest form. A frock shirt is a pull over such as workmen wore.

8. Jul 24, 2012 #8

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

Be sure and post a picture of it when you get it done. Here's a picture of mine that was made from a heavy, 7-8 ounce canvas that was natural in color so I dyed it using walnut hull powder.
    [​IMG]