• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pattern Checking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to be working up new loads for a Pedersoli 1816 and would appreciate some input on equipment.
What do you fellas find works best for pattern targets and a frame to hold them?

I use a big cardboard box salvaged from the grocery store, and paper from a bolt of newsprint paper from our local newspaper office.

Each are free of charge and could not be better suited to patterning a scattergun.

Good luck and please share your results, Skychief.

36" x 167' Red Rosin Paper
or
35" x 140' Multi-Purpose Builder's Paper

cut into 35-36" squares

Build a frame out of scrap wood with a backer of cardboard or foam or what ever.

Road signs out the window.

1621205022337.gif

Every time I buy something in a big box like a TV I cut up the box in large squares to use for all my shooting. If I am patterning my fowler for turkeys I use a turkey target stapled to the card board because hits in the head and neck is all that counts.

This where I started, not too good.

new fowler best shot pattern.jpg

Enter the Skychief load!
turkey 2019.JPG

I’ve got spare switches , left over from when I was a youngin’...🥸👀

I really liked the British Red Neck comment by Woody , reckon’ he could speak English with a southern British drawl... 😁

Last edited:
I’ve got spare switches , left over from when I was a youngin’...🥸👀

I really liked the British Red Neck comment by Woody , reckon’ he could speak English with a southern British drawl... 😁
As a matter of fact, I know of one person that does.
A good friend grew up in Jolly Ole and has lived his adult life in southern Georgia.
When we first met, I was like, "Where the devil are you from?!"
I'm kinda direct like that.

wm

Maybe I'm simple but I just put a tincan or soda can out about 25 or 30 yards and shoot at it. If it has 4 to 6 BB holes in it I call that good. If that don't work I try a different load. All I shoot at with shot is small game and that is enough to dispatch whatever I'm shooting at. Works for me.

What do you fellas find works best for pattern targets and a frame to hold them?

I go to the Dollar Store.
I buy a roll of gift wrapping paper. I reverse it and tack it up to a target board or cardboard box. The opposite side of the pattern on the paper is white. I mark a spot in the center with a black marker, and BOOM.
And each roll only costs me a dollar.

THEN I test for effectiveness....,

I take an empty, steel, tuna can.
I stand it on it's side, on top of the target board, with the bottom of the can facing me and BOOM.
Then I retrieve it, and make sure the pellets went through the steel can. If not, either I'm too far away, or the pellets are too small (and shed too much energy before impact) OR the load is too light.
A crude method, but it works.

LD

Back