• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pattern 1776 Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to see pics of the entire rifle.
I just got back a couple hours ago from the Yorktown Battlefield and Museum. I found this in their display. It's not a great pic, but it was very cool to see as "up close" as a display case will allow.

20230924_134017.jpg

Hi Mas Casa,
Everyone is mistaking your inquiry as about the pattern 1776 British muzzleloading rifle. I believe you are asking about the German-made rifles by Huhnstock upon which the British pattern was somewhat modeled. There is no one reproducing the components.

dave
Dave,
You are absolutely correct. I'm interested in the Huhnstock version of the P76 rifle.

I just got back a couple hours ago from the Yorktown Battlefield and Museum. I found this in their display. It's not a great pic, but it was very cool to see as "up close" as a display case will allow.

View attachment 255373
That's cool! From what I've gathered from period sources, up to 5 rifles were issued to the light infantry companies of most regiments. For instance, the 40th Foot's light company were issued two. These light company riflemen appear to have been assembled into a provisional rifle platoon or company under the 1st Battalion of Light Infantry which was present at Yorktown.

The Huhnstock P76 rifles were produced before the Birmingham rifles (like the one above) were. The Huhnstock rifles likely went to troops in Burgoyne's Northern Army and the 16th Light Dragoons.

Some years ago I saw photos of a reproduction Huhnstock P76 Rifle that someone brought to the Fort Frederick Market Fair. My understanding is that someone in Pennsylvania has the original to cast parts from. I know that there are a few reproductions of the British made P76 rifle.

I'd very much appreciate anyone providing more information on the reproduction parts or the owner of the one pictured.

For historical background, 200 rifles were first produced by Huhnstock for British use during the American Revolution. Another 800 were made by various British makers. The rifles were to be issued to the 16th Light Dragoons as well as to five men in each of the light infantry companies of regiments serving in America.

Regarding the 1776 rifle pictured in the thread. I believe this is one of the 1776 rifles made by Ernie Cowan. Ernie made around a dozen of them, his 1776 rifles were done very well and very accurately detailed.

The current 1776 TRS rifle kit doesn’t use the same barrel, they use Rice and Colerain which will only rifle up to 6 or 7 grooves.

Hoyt has the 1776 barrel pattern that Cowan used.

I think Ernie also cut his own stock the rifle shoppe’s 1776 stock I believe is not the same as Ernies, not sure of the details as to how it’s different.

and used the lock and hardware castings by either the Rifle Shoppe or Butch Scholer. Dave_Person would likely know more specific details.

Last edited:
Back