• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pattern 1776 Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mas Casa

32 Cal
Reaction score
Some years ago I saw photos of a reproduction Huhnstock P76 Rifle that someone brought to the Fort Frederick Market Fair. My understanding is that someone in Pennsylvania has the original to cast parts from. I know that there are a few reproductions of the British made P76 rifle.

I'd very much appreciate anyone providing more information on the reproduction parts or the owner of the one pictured.

For historical background, 200 rifles were first produced by Huhnstock for British use during the American Revolution. Another 800 were made by various British makers. The rifles were to be issued to the 16th Light Dragoons as well as to five men in each of the light infantry companies of regiments serving in America.

Attachments

• tumblr_d4b91963fba753456aba154e66b85cb4_c0419a4a_400.jpg
    tumblr_d4b91963fba753456aba154e66b85cb4_c0419a4a_400.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 4
  • tumblr_fab39bff57893b39c93c9fa129e224ad_de25ff18_400.jpg
    tumblr_fab39bff57893b39c93c9fa129e224ad_de25ff18_400.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 38dd5cc6f2fad07d7c76eb2abfd8e093--american-war-highlanders.jpg
    38dd5cc6f2fad07d7c76eb2abfd8e093--american-war-highlanders.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
They're a fascinating rifle, showing that the Brits definitely feared rifled guns.
I'd say they had a healthy respect for their capabilities, from the perspective of both sides of the muzzle. DeWitt Bailey's "British Military Flintlock Rifles" is an invaluable resource to understanding their capabilities and construction.

I spent about 6 hours at The Rifle Shoppe. IIRC Jesse, the owner, said he used original antique guns as bench copies to make the molds.

He has had guns sent from the Smithsonian, the Louve, the Hermitage; all over the world, almost any big name you can imagine. They all wanted a 100% correct copy and he got the rights to make molds and sell parts. He had, at one time, Louis XIV's Fusil De Chasse, which he copied and returned. I got the pleasure to handle the bench copy, what a featherweight. I belive it's a 24 or 28 bore.

I said all that to say, if TRS has parts than they had an original at one time in their possession.

Some years ago I saw photos of a reproduction Huhnstock P76 Rifle that someone brought to the Fort Frederick Market Fair. My understanding is that someone in Pennsylvania has the original to cast parts from. I know that there are a few reproductions of the British made P76 rifle.

I'd very much appreciate anyone providing more information on the reproduction parts or the owner of the one pictured.

For historical background, 200 rifles were first produced by Huhnstock for British use during the American Revolution. Another 800 were made by various British makers. The rifles were to be issued to the 16th Light Dragoons as well as to five men in each of the light infantry companies of regiments serving in America.
I'd love to see pics of the entire rifle.

They're a fascinating rifle, showing that the Brits definitely feared rifled guns.
TBH I don't think they feared rifles any more than the Patriots feared bayonets. When they saw how they could be used effectively (from the Patriots and the various rifle armed jaegers they had fighting for them) they got their own into production very fast. Modern military procurement could take a lesson from the adoption of the P1776.

Arguably the Fergusson Rifle was better, but it was by contrast too expensive and too fragile to be an effective infantry weapon.

Right now I need to convince the wife that it is of vital importance that I line up a TRS P1776 kit and gun builder - a replica 1776 is not just on my bucket list, it is absolutely the flintlock rifle I want!

Definitely appreciate the contributions so far. They are a graceful rifle. To be more specific, I'm looking for anyone who has knowledge of the parts needed for the Huhnstock (Germanic) P76 or some who has assembled this version. My understanding is the trigger guard, butt plate, lock, and side plate differed from the English model and the Huhnstock also had a box.

Y
Definitely appreciate the contributions so far. They are a graceful rifle. To be more specific, I'm looking for anyone who has knowledge of the parts needed for the Huhnstock (Germanic) P76 or some who has assembled this version. My understanding is the trigger guard, butt plate, lock, and side plate differed from the English model and the Huhnstock also had a box.
You can order the parts from TRS. Good luck....

AFAIK the only attested survivors are from the 800 made in England. As @Comfortably_Numb suggests you could use the TRS parts list for the P1776

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/english_arms/(509).htm
But sub in the different parts from a contemporary Jaeger kit like this one:

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/german_arms/(510).htm
just a thought!

TBH I don't think they feared rifles any more than the Patriots feared bayonets. When they saw how they could be used effectively (from the Patriots and the various rifle armed jaegers they had fighting for them) they got their own into production very fast. Modern military procurement could take a lesson from the adoption of the P1776.

Arguably the Fergusson Rifle was better, but it was by contrast too expensive and too fragile to be an effective infantry weapon.

Right now I need to convince the wife that it is of vital importance that I line up a TRS P1776 kit and gun builder - a replica 1776 is not just on my bucket list, it is absolutely the flintlock rifle I want!
Yes, the patriots feared the Bayonet as much as the Red-Coats feared the rifle. But the rifle was a special use weapon. For what was SOP then, the Battle Square and bayonet charge was superior on open ground. But pretty useless on the March or in timber.

I believe the rifle wasn't the much used impliment many make it to be. Washington begged for muskets and bayonets, to be on even footing with the British.

The Muzzleloading rifle was a huge disadvantage on open ground, unless far enough away they couldn't get to you. All you had to do was snipe at the Square from 200 yards, demoralizing and wounding troops. But it was just a big stick in CQB.

Jesse let me handle a Ferguson rifle. He explained, and demonstrated, one of the Ferguson's main advantages was being able to load while prone, as in behind cover, a parapet, or a trench.
It gave me a new prospective of the weapon.

AFAIK the only attested survivors are from the 800 made in England. As @Comfortably_Numb suggests you could use the TRS parts list for the P1776

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/english_arms/(509).htm
But sub in the different parts from a contemporary Jaeger kit like this one:

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/german_arms/(510).htm
just a thought!
There are two of the August Huhnstock made guns still extant. The one shown in De Witt Bailey's book on British Military Flintlock Rifles numbered 184 was sold by Morphy's in 2020.
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com...ANOVERIAN_PATTERN_1776_FLINTLO-LOT483833.aspxThere are some good photos on there that, combined with the measurements in Bailey's book, should allow a builder to build a suitable replica.
The rifling is very fast 1:27 on this example. It is also interesting that the barrel is pinned in place, and the pan is bridleless, the only real innovation is the rammer retainer system, which was removed on this example at some point, otherwise, it is a pretty plain German military type Jager rifle. The Baker rifle is closer in butt design to this rifle than it is to the more numerous Birmingham made 1776 rifles.

Mike

Attachments

• 20170005_1_lg.jpeg
    20170005_1_lg.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170005_2_lg.jpeg
    20170005_2_lg.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170005_3_lg.jpeg
    20170005_3_lg.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, a pal who was in a re-enactment unit back in 1976-era got together with 3 others, and the four of them ordered 1776 parts from TRS. Two were put together by one guy now deceased, and two were assembled by another guy whose name I don't have at hand. My pal is now totally retired from enacting and may perhaps sell his 1776; I have told him I'd like 1st dibs if he does. His is quite nicely assembled, very tight fitting, etc. It is Rifled. These are fascinating guns; the Brits being so impressed with the rifled guns that they went to the expense to experiment to the tune of a thousand themselves! Good post.

Hi Mas Casa,
Everyone is mistaking your inquiry as about the pattern 1776 British muzzleloading rifle. I believe you are asking about the German-made rifles by Huhnstock upon which the British pattern was somewhat modeled. There is no one reproducing the components.

dave

Latest posts

Back