• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pattern 1776 or Baker kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again Dave I can only agree with you. No amount of Ferguson rifles would have changed the outcome of the war, indeed I don’t think it would have much mattered if Ferguson had taken his reputed opportunity to shoot Washington. Battlefield success is less important in wars of national self determination than the will of a population to resist a government whose legitimacy it has rejected. But I digress…

Had the Ferguson rifle’s operating mechanism been executed in a more robust manner then I think it’s likely that screw-breach loading flintlock rifles might have seen wider military adoption. It’s an intriguing thought anyway….

I have an original Baker & made a volunteers one years ago. I wouldn't hunt with any rifle over 5or6 pounds, The pitch is well enough but the rifles of the 1,012 Strong Prince of Orange rifle regiment c 1799 paid for by Ordnance have a 1 in 28 inch or so .pitch . I have one for years . They are not marked Crown GR . but where in effect a Pre Baker got up in Germany . I also made a 1776 Tower rifle Before Kit Ravenshear did if at that time no one knew about the swivel link the only examples known had the links missing . It went to a NY patron 1984 (If your interested look for it on British Militaria forum) I did reply listing the govt Carbines Ide made but I think the E gajet et it . I like carbines so made them .
Regards Rudyard

I had a chance to review and hold a TRS 1776 rifle recently and i found it to very nice and fit. I’m considering ordering the kit but may go for a military style Jaeger with a longer barrel. I don’t have any experience shooting a British military rifle though so my knowledge is limited to what I’ve read and only seen.

For now I’m working on an 1817 common rifle kit, the stock has an incredible drop on it, it almost feels like a pistol grip. Barrel is by Hoyt.

Attachments

• 64DFD93F-5216-4F33-B520-6EA3FB751C08.jpeg
    64DFD93F-5216-4F33-B520-6EA3FB751C08.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
I had a chance to review and hold a TRS 1776 rifle recently and i found it to very nice and fit. I’m considering ordering the kit but may go for a military style Jaeger with a longer barrel. I don’t have any experience shooting a British military rifle though so my knowledge is limited to what I’ve read and only seen.

For now I’m working on an 1817 common rifle kit, the stock has an incredible drop on it, it almost feels like a pistol grip. Barrel is by Hoyt.

Ive been looking at the 1776 rifle for a while, recently I had a chance to look at a TRS Baker rifle kit and determined that TRS kits would be beyond my current tools/capability. I’ve been looking a bit to buy an already-assembled 1776 rifle but it seems like the few people who have one have no interest in parting with it! I’ll likely end up ordering the kit from TRS and taking it verrrry slow.

Ive been looking at the 1776 rifle for a while, recently I had a chance to look at a TRS Baker rifle kit and determined that TRS kits would be beyond my current tools/capability. I’ve been looking a bit to buy an already-assembled 1776 rifle but it seems like the few people who have one have no interest in parting with it! I’ll likely end up ordering the kit from TRS and taking it verrrry slow.
I would love to follow along with that if you do decide to go for it!

Hello, Guy, I love my left hand Baker rifle, one of a few built by The Rifle Shoppe in 2005. Quality is marvelous. Mine was ordered with the only two options offered, an English walnut stock and browned barrel. As you can see, it's a mirror image of the Baker in a left-hand configuration. Only the bayonet (sword) mount has not been changed to facilitate the use of an original pattern bayonet, which The Rifle Shoppe also makes as a kit or as a finished article. The Baker parts set is still offered, but I understand that The Rifle Shoppe no longer does builds. They can recommend a builder. I think a Rifle Shoppe Baker would take a deer just fine with a .594 ball and 95 grs. of 2FF black powder.

Attachments

• 5f93138472cafeedd63956cbf2995def.jpg
    5f93138472cafeedd63956cbf2995def.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8604786ee1c348557c368f5b31b75bea.jpg
    8604786ee1c348557c368f5b31b75bea.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • eb700b2251e7af7c81ce21ed136236da.jpg
    eb700b2251e7af7c81ce21ed136236da.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello, Guy, I love my left hand Baker rifle, one of a few built by The Rifle Shoppe in 2005. Quality is marvelous. Mine was ordered with the only two options offered, an English walnut stock and browned barrel. As you can see, it's a mirror image of the Baker in a left-hand configuration. Only the bayonet (sword) mount has not been changed to facilitate the use of an original pattern bayonet, which The Rifle Shoppe also makes as a kit or as a finished article. The Baker parts set is still offered, but I understand that The Rifle Shoppe no longer does builds. They can recommend a builder. I think a Rifle Shoppe Baker would take a deer just fine with a .594 ball and 95 grs. of 2FF black powder.
That’s cool. I am waiting on their Calvary carbine and have an indian made standard.

Thanks for sharing that @tsmgguy it's gorgeous! I think I have more or less convinced myself that one of these two builds will end up being my flintlock season gun....

Here's a link to a You Tube video about one man's journey to the acquisition of a Rifle Shoppe Baker rifle. A little lengthy, but well worth the view. In it, (IIRC) he refers to his Baker rifle as his most comfortable to hold and to shoot.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a You Tube video about one man's journey to the acquisition of a Rifle Shoppe Baker rifle. A little lengthy, but well worth the view. In it, (IIRC) he refers to his Baker rifle as his most comfortable to carry and shoot.

I love his channnel! May have watched that video once (or twice maybe!)

Hi all, hoping to start a discussion - perhaps even a couple of well mannered arguments - to help me make a decision and start planning for what will be (for me at least) the significant purchase of a custom built rifle.

Basically I want a high quality flintlock rifle whose primary use will be the PA flintlock deer season, but that gives a significant nod to my own history as a Brit in general, and my connection to the British Army in particular.

I already know that I want a Rifle Shoppe kit, and am narrowed to their Pattern 1776 like this one or their (historically questionable) left-handed Baker like this one. Left handed is important because I'm blind in my right eye. The side the lock is on I don't think matters so much, but the cheek piece and (possible) cast of the Baker stock does.

I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has built or had built for them, either of these kits - especially if you've hunted with it - but really anything at all is valued!

I'd also be grateful for any suggestions for gun builders to use - especially any close to NE PA who I might be able to actually meet in person.

I've been delaying writing this post for a while now, so I'll just let this go now and see what responses I get!

Thanks all, Guy
I'm a Lefty and note that in ancient heraldry, Left was referred to as "Sinister".

I'm a Lefty and note that in ancient heraldry, Left was referred to as "Sinister".
Indeed, but somehow SinisterGuy might create the wrong impression of me!

Actually I have come to believe that left hand flintlocks are something of an unnecessary distraction, I am as left handed as can be, but I have found that my accuracy is the same whichever side the lock is on...

In Latin, sinister is left. In modern Italian left is still sinestre. Because throughout history left-handedness was in a minority, it became identified with out of the ordinary and then associated with being wrong. Obviously not true, but that notion still seems to persist today.

In Latin, sinister is left. In modern Italian left is still sinestre. Because throughout history left-handedness was in a minority, it became identified with out of the ordinary and then associated with being wrong. Obviously not true, but that notion still seems to persist today.

I do wonder if there is a little more to it than that - I remember reading somewhere that left handers like me are over-represented amongst murderers, despots and other ne'er-do-wells - but maybe that's just a consequence of the frustration enjoined by having to exist in a world with such inbuilt prejudice against us.

However it may be - we exist and Natural Selection seems to be increasing our numbers rather than killing us off.... And so far as this particular discussion is concerned, I think I have landed on the idea that I'll save up for and buy a Rifle Shoppe P1776 kit and have it built by somebody who does it for a living - and I'll shoot it off my left shoulder regardless. I have discovered that I am honestly too focused on the target to care or even notice, which side of the gun the lock is on. I have heard the occasional horror story from those whose facial hair is of the extra bushy variety - but they may make their own risk assessments!

Back