• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patriotic Display of Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bennington flag
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Digital reproduction of the Bennington flag
A replica of the flag flying outside San Francisco City Hall
The Bennington flag is a version of the American flag associated with the American Revolution Battle of Bennington, from which it derives its name.

Like many Revolution era flags, the Bennington features 13 stars and 13 stripes, symbolic of the 13 American colonies that were in a state of rebellion against Great Britain. The Bennington version is easily identified by a large '76' in the canton, recalling the year 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was signed. Another distinctive feature of the Bennington flag is the arrangement of the 13 stripes, with white being outermost (rather than red being outermost as in the current flag). Also, its stars have seven points each (instead of the current five) and the blue canton is taller than on other flags, spanning nine instead of seven of the thirteen stripes
Flintlocklar :wink:

Larry (Omaha) said:
Bennington flag
From Wikipedia,
The Bennington flag is a version of the American flag associated with the American Revolution Battle of Bennington, from which it derives its name.

Yes!...."associated with".....Hence, why I said "Nostalgic".

Before we get too concerned about the design of the so-called "Bennington Flag" please note that the actual relic flag is on display at the museum in Bennington, Vermont. Grace Cooper, NAVA member and former curator of textiles at the Smithsonian Institution has observed this flag at close range and is of the opinion that its material was woven on a power loom in the early 19th Century. There is no record of this flag or its design prior to the late 19th Century when it was on display at the Chicago Public Library.
There is definitely no contemporary reference to a stars and stripes flag of any design carried at the Battle of Bennington. (The Bennington Museum does have the remnant of a green silk flag with a blue canton. The canton has 13 stars in an irregular pattern. It is known as the Green Mountain Boys flag, and there seems to be no dispute over its claimed use during the 1770's.)

Flintlocker, I'm reading a good book about the Revolutionary war, and I ran across a passage I thought you might enjoy hearing. Describing the runup to the battle of Long Island, the author says:

"Two of the best units in the Continental Army manned this important position. The First Delaware Regiment, under Colonel John Haslet, was the largest battalion in the army, eight hundred men outfitted in identical blue coats with white waistcoats. Colonel William Smallwood had recruited his First Maryland soldiers from some of the best families in Baltimore. The men of both units carried good English muskets fitted with bayonets."

Spence

In my little man cave I have a book case with one of those cheap tower pistols a glasses case with one of my out fit glasses in them, a candle lantern, ink well with a quill in it and a non fireing sort-a-looks like a highland pistol wall hanger my daughter got me for a birth day present.
It’s not an historic display. It’s an old timy display. We’re not always HC, sometimes were just fun.

British Arms that came from Colonial Armories, or commercial examples made by the same gunmakers who made British Ordnance Approved Arms were used by Americans in the AWI.

There were Americans who used French Military Arms in the AWI that had been captured from Fort Louisbourg in 1745 and (more likely) from the second capture of Fort Louisbourg in 1758 while we were still British Subjects.

As I pointed out, the flag is very post AWI, so the display could "work"..., plus there were plenty of Colonial Americans who carried variations of the Bess..., some were militia (Maryland had more than 1000 British muskets at the start of the AWI) not to mention the Colonial Americans who wore red or green coats and fought FOR His Royal Britannic Majesty, King George III.

:wink: :thumbsup:

LD

"not to mention the Colonial Americans who wore red or green coats and fought FOR His Royal Britannic Majesty, King George III."

Just how did I expect you to add that in? :rotf: :hatsoff:

Gus

The Americans who flocked to British colors were fighting fo all those things I hold mostly sacred. Loyalty to ones nation, rule of law, economic stability.
I side with the patriots but recognize they were temporarily traitors. They didn’t stay that way of course....
“Treason never prospers, for if it does none dare call it treason”
I could never cough up rage against the loyalists.

Larry (Omaha) said:
The gun is ok but the flag is all wrong.....

Can I ask just why is it wrong? It is my house and my flag. I am not teaching history, just presenting flag and a Bess for my country. If you like GB, fine your choice, I like America
Thanks for the input though
Flintlocklar

I fly a Bennington daily at my home. And, I have a BB on the wall in my poor excuse of an office. Both will remain until after I have kicked.

Colorado Clyde said:
. . . but I'm confused. Brown Bess was the British arm in AWI, and as far as I know was never issued to Continental troops. Why is its display appropriate to celebrate our country?

We were all British subjects until we declared that we weren't. British arms - or at least arms in the hands of British subjects - were all there were hereabouts until The Declaration of Independence. Any Bess would have been more than welcome in the hands of a Patriot.

The French eventually brought some old Charlevilles (NOT the 1777 for our use - they used those) but we did it with what was available, for the most part.

Nice display.

Well, it's still a nice display. And, an interesting conversation. Just learned some great stuff here.
Now we need a photo of a Charleville and a Dutch musket. Here's the M1757 Spanish Musket. LOL

Rick
1757 Spanish Musket 001 (Medium).JPG

boy, I guess you are not politically correct enough?? no CHARLIEVILLE ?, oh well get over it.I for one like your display. thanks' for sharing it with us.

Latest posts

Back