• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patriotic Display of Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Our country is a great country, be proud!.........My Bessie
Flintlocklar :hatsoff:

http://https://flic.kr/p/23xZYne]
39743528455_360845efcd_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_1942 by Larry(Omaha), on Flickr]Link[/url]

Historically of corse a Charley, Dutch or Spanish gun would fit. However I think that the Bess is the 1st and 2ed model Bess is the most beautiful military guns ever made. I like that shot. :thumbsup:

That's a repro of The Bennington Flag....the original has been dated from the 19th century based on the nature of the machine-woven fabric used in its construction. Some scholars think the flag may have been made to evoke revolutionary sentiment during the War of 1812, or to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence in 1826. The curator of textiles at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History has speculated that the flag may be even younger.

As such, War of 1812 or event of 1826..., a SLP Bess which was not used by Continentals until probably after the surrender at Saratoga, or the surrender at Yorktown...., Might actually "work".
:wink:

LD

wish I could post pics here I took a great shot of my 1st with a Betsy Ross

The gun is ok but the flag is all wrong.....

Can I ask just why is it wrong? It is my house and my flag. I am not teaching history, just presenting flag and a Bess for my country. If you like GB, fine your choice, I like America
Thanks for the input though
Flintlocklar

Nice display, good picture, but I'm confused. Brown Bess was the British arm in AWI, and as far as I know was never issued to Continental troops. Why is its display appropriate to celebrate our country?

Spence

The flag pictured is an East India Company flag and predates the AWI by many many years. There is speculation that one of these flags was taken during the Boston Tea Party and lated used by Washington & then modified to remove the kings colors from the canton. It would make great backdrop for an India pattern musket.

Larry (Omaha) said:

Can I ask just why is it wrong? It is my house and my flag. I am not teaching history, just presenting flag and a Bess for my country. If you like GB, fine your choice, I like America
Flintlocklar

George said:
Nice display, good picture, but I'm confused. Brown Bess was the British arm in AWI, and as far as I know was never issued to Continental troops. Why is its display appropriate to celebrate our country?

Spence

Exactly my point....The context is wrong or lacking....

It is a very nice display....but, conveys the wrong message....Let's call it a display "in progress"....When you add an American arm and a British flag, the picture will be complete.

Yes! We did use some Brown Bess muskets, But that gun is considered a British weapon. A Charleville or Long rifle would be more appropriate to the 1776 American flag.

Larry (Omaha) said:

Flintlocklar
I like the display. No one who could have got hand on a Bess would have thrown it away. While other guns would have more avarage besses did fire more then one ball at the red coats. And the flag is not unknown.

conveys the wrong message.
To all my muzzleloading friends out there: I am not a purist, or historical correct person, I just love to shoot traditional muzzleloaders. I have one Bess and no other smoothies. I love my country and the fact that we have our independence from GB. The Bess was in the Revolutionary War and the flag represents our independence. That is all there is to it.
Thanks to all who checked out my photo.
Flintlocklar :wink:

Sounds good to me, Flintlocker. As I said, a very nice display, and nothing inappropriate about it.

Spence

to be blunt, I live in a town where, if I were to announce that America is the greatest nation on earth, I would expect to be verbally assaulted, it's nice to see this sort of thing.

think i'll go to the post office and ask why the flag is improperly displayed.

somestimes it's kida of fun ...

Tonight at the community room we will have "dry fire"(electronic system) practice for our youth trap team. They bring their real shotguns. We do this when the weather does not allow outdoor shooting.

No one has complained. Last week there were 2 other meetings going on in the building. I like seeing 40 young folks enjoying themselves.

Not a word is said. Does not hurt that I am the President of the Board and that I got the building built. It would fall on death ears.

Fleener

"It is a very nice display....but, conveys the wrong message....Let's call it a display "in progress"....When you add an American arm and a British flag, the picture will be complete."

Please understand my post is not meant to nitpick/criticize you.

People seem to forget we in America were British Citizens or British Americans right up to 1776 at the earliest and not "Officially or legally" simply "Americans" or "Citizens of the United States" until the Treaty of Paris in 1783.

British Arms that came from Colonial Armories, or commercial examples made by the same gunmakers who made British Ordnance Approved Arms were used by Americans in the AWI.

There were Americans who used French Military Arms in the AWI that had been captured from Fort Louisbourg in 1745 and (more likely) from the second capture of Fort Louisbourg in 1758 while we were still British Subjects.

France began surreptiously giving us French Arms and powder very early in the AWI and much more so and openly after the French Alliance in 1778.

Americans in the AWI also used Dutch, Spanish and other continental arms in the AWI, as well as some captured Arms from the British.

Though there was some "American" production of Arms in the AWI, it was much more common that U.S. Soldiers used foreign made Arms.

Gus

Back