Quantcast

Patriot shoes

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Einsiedler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While I was on the set I wore a pair of old buckle shoes I had with the buckles removed and the latchets tied together with a piece of leather lace. Nothing fancy at all. None of the production crew seemed to mind :)

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
is there a source where the Jefferson Bootees, AKA Brogans. can be purchased?
thanks
OU
tom

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
is there a source where the Jefferson Bootees, AKA Brogans. can be purchased?
thanks
OU
tom
Yeah, just about every Civ War sutler and then some. Even Fugawee and many others that cater to earlier periods sell them. Search "civil war brogans".
Just be aware if you're doing anything Colonial period there are mind sets claiming these didn't exist until the 1800s despite the evidence to the contrary.

The other problem you might run into now is supply due to the COVID lockdowns, many vendors have sold much of their inventory with stock refills being scarce at best.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yeah, just about every Civ War sutler and then some. Even Fugawee and many others that cater to earlier periods sell them. Search "civil war brogans".
Just be aware if you're doing anything Colonial period there are mind sets claiming these didn't exist until the 1800s despite the evidence to the contrary.

The other problem you might run into now is supply due to the COVID lockdowns, many vendors have sold much of their inventory with stock refills being scarce at best.
i have been searching vendors for 1700s shoes. that is why i was unable to find them. i didn/t know that they were in use prior to the 1800s.
thanks
OU
tom

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK so here is another dumb question. boot colour and finish.
I see black shiny side out, black sued side out, and tan sued side out. Is this just a matter of personal taste or is there something significant or about the originality to the colour and finish? Or maybe just what was available in your area?
And were other colours used?

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
OK so here is another dumb question. boot colour and finish.
I see black shiny side out, black sued side out, and tan sued side out. Is this just a matter of personal taste or is there something significant or about the originality to the colour and finish? Or maybe just what was available in your area?
And were other colours used?
From what I know it's personal taste, I always got mine smooth side out. I also don't remember the shoes coming in rough side out until fairly "recently" (within the last decade, maybe longer).

Brokennock

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've read multiple times is several places that brown leather shoes or booties were considered pretty low class. Keeping in mind that folks then weren't trying to look low class and one had to be pretty far down on the economic ladder to get away with being seen in public looking "poor." Low enough to not have a nice gun of any kind, maybe no gun, maybe an old retired musket or long out of date early fowling piece.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've read multiple times is several places that brown leather shoes or booties were considered pretty low class. Keeping in mind that folks then weren't trying to look low class and one had to be pretty far down on the economic ladder to get away with being seen in public looking "poor." Low enough to not have a nice gun of any kind, maybe no gun, maybe an old retired musket or long out of date early fowling piece.
i better get brown ones, no one has ever accused me of being classy.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and no. Brogans were also considered workman's footware which doesn't necessarily equate to dirt poor. The buckled shoes of the time weren't cheap so If you were working or running around in the woods you wouldn't do so in your Sunday best unless you could afford to do so. I don't wear my best $1500 suit and $500 Alden wing tips when I'm working or camping. Heck I don't even wear my $99 Florsheims when I'm doing that.

RB POWELL

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Those are a high top, Ive learned to call them high lows or tracking boots. I was hoping some one would know of the shorter brogan style earlier then nineteenth century
I’m thinking Prescott is painted in those at Bunker(Breeds) hill
Or this good looking Gent .... but that’s me treking.... no jury on a trekView attachment 47194View attachment 47196
Looking sharp, my man, looking sharp.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
On English measurement. Much like jack and Gill, cable, stone ect.
Two and a half tads is a bit. A bit is five smeadge, and ten smeadgins. One smeadgin is twelve hairs or seventeen red hairs
How about the measurements of "a Tidge" and "a Tudge?"

Gus

flashpoint

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Just watched the Patriot last night.
We know that the Patriot was not the tops on historic accuracy 😊
Howsomever We see some patriots hung in a tree. All have Jefferson style booties on. Something that came popular in the nineteenth century.
Most of the people in this movie have boots on.
I’ve seen plenty of paintings showing shoes. Mostly buckled some tied. Or boots, real popular in the army for officers. Lastly high-lows.
Does any one know of an historic reference to what became the Jefferson bootie in eighteenth century?
I would love it as it’s a lot more comfortable then high-lows. And nicer to wear in the woods.
When I trek in eighteenth century dress I cheat and wear my booties... is it historic at all, I’ve yet to find a painting of one.
You're not "cheating" Tenngun when you're wearing your booties...you're MAKING history. 150 years from now BP guys will be looking at your booties and wondering where they can get them to be 2020 period correct. 😂

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it’s true we can wear what we want. I find my Fugawi real comfortable. My hi-lows are uncomfortable on the ankle if I hike in them all day. With shoes I have to stop every mile or so and shake crap out of them.
I would hate to show up at an event with booties on if they are not correct. I doubt most events I go to would care and for sure my camp isn’t perfect. But I want to try to get it right.
I can wear shoes at an event and it’s correct and events take place on groomed fields. But I like them booties for comfort, just want to make sure they are acceptable

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it’s true we can wear what we want. I find my Fugawi real comfortable. My hi-lows are uncomfortable on the ankle if I hike in them all day. With shoes I have to stop every mile or so and shake crap out of them.
I would hate to show up at an event with booties on if they are not correct. I doubt most events I go to would care and for sure my camp isn’t perfect. But I want to try to get it right.
I can wear shoes at an event and it’s correct and events take place on groomed fields. But I like them booties for comfort, just want to make sure they are acceptable
I think this is an argument that will have no end unless we can somehow find incontrovertible evidence in multiple sources that will satisfy the most stringent of "documantarians" not to mention those who have a built in bias against brogans being common 18th century footware. We do know they existed during that time period, we also know they were considered workman's bootees as for the rest it's basically supposition. My supposition is most people on the frontier edge, farmers, etc probably wore brogans or hi-lows more often than not. This supposition is based on my knowledge of basic human practicality that has not changed at all over the centuries, we typically find what works best for us in whatever condition/environment we are in at the time. You wore what was appropriate when working and what was appropriate (if you had it) in social settings. Cultural anthropology shows us that people tended to be more fashion conscious in the larger towns and cities and much less so in rural settings.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
weren't they origionally made in a straight last? no left or right, that came with the wearing of them! they would take a set, left & right.

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Who makes a modern reproduction of these? I've been looking for one that I can add my Rx orthopedic insole to in a big size 13.

Reaction score
Straight last brogans are a bear to break in but once they are they are actually very comfortable, also beware of the leather soles and heels, my brogans that I wear for civil war era have heel plates and are hob nailed soles great for over land but like ice skates on black top and linoleum, tile or stone floors.

Latest posts