• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patriot Knock-Offs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was referred to someone who says they have a T/C Patriot Knock-Off. According to the owner, it is a .45 and the parts are interchangeable with the T/C. I saw a photo of each side. The stock has the same shape, the rear sight looks identical and the double set triggers look like clones.

So - who made T/C Patriot clones, or could this be a T/C with no markings or some replacement barrel (the owner says the barrel has "words" on it.

If there are known clones, is one better than another? What do I look for? How about pricing?

Thanks

There are no Patriot clones. A couple Spanish makers have something kinda, sorta similar but nothing that will interchange parts with a Patriot.

There are no Patriot clones. A couple Spanish makers have something kinda, sorta similar but nothing that will interchange parts with a Patriot.
I was told that Patriots were made in .36 cal as well as .45 but I've never seen one .,have any of you? I have one in .45 cal and have seen quite few others but none in .36.

Ardessa was the original maker of the patriot. Sold to Traditions in the 80's, then TC bought the line. I have one of these Ardessa Patriot flintlocks listed here in .45 It is a very well made gun and great shooter. Sparks and fires every time.

I was referred to someone who says they have a T/C Patriot Knock-Off. According to the owner, it is a .45 and the parts are interchangeable with the T/C. I saw a photo of each side. The stock has the same shape, the rear sight looks identical and the double set triggers look like clones.

So - who made T/C Patriot clones, or could this be a T/C with no markings or some replacement barrel (the owner says the barrel has "words" on it.

If there are known clones, is one better than another? What do I look for? How about pricing?

Thanks
Ardessa was the original maker of the patriot. Sold to Traditions in the 80's, then TC bought the line. The barrels and quality are as good as TC ever made one. As far as I know the parts, today are not interchangeable. I have one of these Ardessa Patriot flintlocks listed here in .45 It is a very well made gun and great shooter. Sparks and fires every time.

Attachments

• Patriot1.jpg
    Patriot1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Patriot6.jpg
    Patriot6.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Patriot7.jpg
    Patriot7.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
Ardessa was the original maker of the patriot. Sold to Traditions in the 80's, then TC bought the line. I have one of these Ardessa Patriot flintlocks listed here in .45 It is a very well made gun and great shooter. Sparks and fires every time.

No sir. Your pistol is Spanish made and is a 'Trapper' as sold by CVA/Traditions. It is not a Patriot. And other than caliber and similar overall size it has nothing in common the the totally TC designed & manufactured Patriot.

Don't know where you get your info, but the T/C Patriot was in the 1972 catalog. I have no idea where my old copy is, but if I run across it I'll post a picture. More info could probably be tracked down on the web. Since all the records were lost in a fire, about the only way to halfway date when a particular model was introduced is through the old catalogs.

Found this photo of the cover of the T/C 1973 Catalog, which depicts the early T/C Patriot pre brass nose cap. I have no idea what year the nose cap was added. Since Traditions didn't exist prior to 1982, the T/C Patriot predates Traditions better than 10 years as a T/C product.
TC 1973 Catalog.jpg

No sir. Your pistol is Spanish made and is a 'Trapper' as sold by CVA/Traditions. It is not a Patriot. And other than caliber and similar overall size it has nothing in common the the totally TC designed & manufactured Patriot.
Were Patriots ever offered in Flint ?

I agree. The photos of the ‘Spanish Patriot’ are the CVA/ Traditions Trapper pistol. Those are the knock-offs of the Patriot.

I have seen several Patriots in .36 cal. A few of them were the early production versions without nose caps. I have not seen any .45 cal Patriots without nose caps. Patriots have a flat butt cap. The Spanish pistols have the rounded bowl butt cap. Patriots have walnut stocks, the Spanish ones don’t. The triggers and furniture are very different also.

From a distance, one might confuse the Spanish version with the TC Patriot. Side by side, the differences are very clear to see.

I agree. The photos of the ‘Spanish Patriot’ are the CVA/ Traditions Trapper pistol. Those are the knock-offs of the Patriot.

I have seen several Patriots in .36 cal. A few of them were the early production versions without nose caps. I have not seen any .45 cal Patriots without nose caps. Patriots have a flat butt cap. The Spanish pistols have the rounded bowl butt cap. Patriots have walnut stocks, the Spanish ones don’t. The triggers and furniture are very different also.

From a distance, one might confuse the Spanish version with the TC Patriot. Side by side, the differences are very clear to see.

From a distance and if ya squint right hard.

Found this photo of the cover of the T/C 1973 Catalog, which depicts the early T/C Patriot pre brass nose cap. I have no idea what year the nose cap was added. Since Traditions didn't exist prior to 1982, the T/C Patriot predates Traditions better than 10 years as a T/C product.
View attachment 170804
View attachment 170804
Thanks for sharing that with me. All I had to go by were some old bulleting boards.

Back