Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Calum

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Nice! I picked up one NiB maybe five years ago, one of the cased ones. Sadly, I still haven't fired it yet. Sometime...

Oh, and Lodgewood has a M1855 Colt Root 3rd Model Revolver for $1300. Since you mentioned wanting one. :)

Mike

Attachments

Reaction score
The Paterson is a gem. 184 years old and 5 shots of .36 with an accurate fixed barrel back then was a game changer.

Baxter

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like that! Most BP pistols just don't interest me, but the Paterson I do like! I believe that the TX Rangers used some of them in "Indian fights"?
Thank you for posting and now, they're gonna come "out of the woodwork".

B P Arn

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are pictures of mine, along with a holster I made for it. I bought the gun sight unseen from a fellow who said to not expect much. He said the barrel was an improperly fit replacement, and it was worn out. The gun was filthy when I got it, especially the bore. Imagine my surprise when I pushed an oiled patch through it and discovered it was like new, and then noticed the numbers on the barrel matched the numbers on the frame! I don't think the gun had ever been fired, other than some clown dry firing it and ruining the nipples, but that was easy to fix.

The Paterson Model was the first black powder gun that really grabbed my attention, but like a poster above noted, the price they fetched was always more than I was willing to pay.

Attachments

Cattman

40 Cal
Reaction score
my dream is have a patterson like that and they make a conversion cylinder for it. some were converted in the old days so it has been done. to me the looks of a patterson is the best their is in design. thanks for the post and the pictures.

Cattman

40 Cal
Reaction score
P.S. their was a movie when i was a kid in the 50/s about a farmer youth who/s family was harrased bad by cattle men. he learned how to use his dads patterson colt to where he was very very fast and good with it. when it came to a show down he took out 3 of the bad guys in a very fast order and the laughing stopped at him using a pattrerson colt. ive wanted one ever since i saw that movie and im almost 80/s years old now, still want one. his was a conversion patterson. what a gun.

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We don't talk about conversion cylinders on the Muzzleloading forum so hopefully that subject will be dropped and we can get back to talking about the Paterson. :)

Reaction score
The Paterson’s Colt’s is an ideal sidearm. Carries 5 balls and sends them rightly, much better than a pepperbox.

wb78963

40 Cal
Reaction score
The Patterson Colt was really a proof of concept gun. Yes ta Texas Ranger used them to good effect at the battle of Enchanted Rock when John C. Hayes held off a Comanche war party with a pair of them.
Practically they are fragile, complex, and more of a curiosity than anything.
But they are historic and uber cool looking.
Cordially
Bunk

B P Arn

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My Colt Patterson replica is as reliable and accurate shooting as any of my black powder revolvers. As far as being fragile, I have never had any mechanical problems with mine. The only real drawback to them is that they are sl-o-o-o-o-w to load.

jimairwin

32 Cal
Reaction score
The Patterson Colt was really a proof of concept gun. Yes ta Texas Ranger used them to good effect at the battle of Enchanted Rock when John C. Hayes held off a Comanche war party with a pair of them.
Practically they are fragile, complex, and more of a curiosity than anything.
But they are historic and uber cool looking.
Cordially
Bunk
There ain't no Patterson
The name was & is Paterson, after the Paterson, NJ, factory where the Colt designed guns were made.
And Sam Houston had a pair of them with him at San Jacinto, where Texas won her independance from Mexico by beating Santa Anna in a very short battle.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
finally happened onto a new to me Paterson for the collection!!! Now I need a Root!!!

What is a Root??

wb78963

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well dog my cats sir, I learn something new every day.
My apologies and thanks for a proper correction.
And we Texans do still remember the Alamo and remember Goliad.
But it still is a proof of concept gun really nifty but complex.
Respectfully
Bunk

Latest posts