• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paterson Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up my first Paterson reproduction yesterday. Same caliber as my 1851 Navy, but obviously different. For those who shoot the Paterson, what tips do you have?

I have done a bit of research, and find it fits my hand well. I can cock it with my single hand without trouble, and have a good sight picture with it too.

Loading is one of my biggest questions, I know how, and definitely want to use the loading tool for the historical side of it. Anyone else do it that way?

Thanks For the Paterson pointers!

I envy you, Sir. I have twice been to the Colt Paterson museum in New Jersey (the original factory), and it is delightful to see so many Patersons on display, with all the accoutrements.

Richard/Grumpa

My Paterson has the loading lever attached. I got it for just that reason, other than the fact that I am drawn to the Paterson. :thumbsup:

I don't shoot my Paterson as much as I do my other cap & ball revolvers as it is a PITA to clean properly. I use a cylinder-loading press to save wear and tear on the cylinder arbor. I am not a big fan of the HC "loading tool." The press allows me to load .380 round balls with uniform compression and less likelihood of a chain fire. Cap jams are common, and it helps to cock the gun pointing up so fired caps fall away and not into the internals. Later model Colts are more "refined" but nothing beats the Paterson experience for serious historians.

I have a repro loading tool but can't get on with it, ditto the 5 spouted powder flask! Never could get it to dispense 5 equal charges without a lot of swearing... I use a loading stand on the rare occasions I shoot mine.

I've always wanted a Paterson but the prices have always been so outlandish I couldn't convince myself they were worth it.

They are also a bit more complex with features like their folding trigger that pops down when the gun is cocked so for now, I'll stick with the later designed Colts.

'morning,

I have a Paterson, but haven't shot it yet. Mostly because loading without a lever looks to be a PIA.

Curator mentions the cap jamming issue, and that he tips his up so that the cap falls out, rather than into the works.

Since the Paterson doesn't have the cut-out in the recoil shield, and mine looks to have tighter tolerances than any of my other Colts, I'm curious how many caps actually fall out, and how many stay on the cylinder.

Thanks,
Mike

For your information, about one in 3 or 4 caps will drop into the Paterson action if you don't point it up when cocking it. I tried aftermarket nipples but still got caps that fell into the hammer-slot if I didn't hold the gun in the vertical when cocking it. I have used CCI, RWS, and Remington caps, but all have this issue. Your mileage may be different---

Briefly owned a Pietta Paterson just for the sheer history and novelty of it, but, while a joy to admire it just felt weird to handle. Considering the loading issues and cap issues, I let a friend talk me out of it. If I had been born rich instead of handsome, however, I'd keep a brace on hand.

:grin:

Back