• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Paterson reproduction with case and accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings Friends! For the past few years I've been building a modest collection of Colt percussion revolvers. My budget isn't unlimited, and it doesn't allow me to buy originals. But I can afford the better reproductions, mostly by Uberti and a few Colt second generation models. (I did buy an original sidehammer Root pocket revolver in .28 caliber. Root reproductions are out there but they are pretty scarce.) I've also enjoyed collecting the accessories to put together cased sets for the second generation guns and a couple of the best ones from Italy.

I have watched for some time to pick up a Paterson but anyone who pays attention to such things knows the Paterson reproductions are rare and expensive. But two or three or some weeks ago I bought this Paterson reproduction from forum member @lexington1. (Thanks again Wes!) It was made by MOFRA and sold through Replica Arms – it has a 1964 proof date, and it appears to be unfired. I haven’t had a chance to correct that yet. Soon.

You can see in the photos below that the case that came with the gun was a little rough, and even though it isn't the best fit, I decided to repair it and redo the lining and partitions to approximate an original cased set for this gun more closely. I had to do a little regluing, and I wet sanded the exterior with Watco Danish Oil to restore the finish, which I think is now much better than the original.

Most of the original Paterson cased sets that I’ve seen have no partitions, just shallow recessed cutouts for the revolver and flask, with other accessories simply mounted with wire. So, I’ve tried to do the same with mine. Unfortunately, I am missing some of the accessories that came with most of the sets I’ve seen: spare cylinder, cleaning rod, and spiral capper. The brass rod that’s in the case in the photo below will be my cleaning rod. I still have to file some notches in the end of it to create a jag, and a friend of mine is turning a wood knob for me. Reproduction spiral cappers are out of stock wherever I’ve looked, so for now my Ted Cash capper is a place holder. Finally, where the spare cylinder would have been I’ve simply put a cap tin. It was hard enough just to find the gun in the first place; I doubt I’ll be able to find a spare cylinder. But you never know…

If anyone is interested, compare what I've done to originals and let me know what you think. I welcome criticism (well, some).

Attachments

• 187249-b5ec6826f9e3cf4ef12ff233aadf8b59.jpg
    187249-b5ec6826f9e3cf4ef12ff233aadf8b59.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Paterson & case_1.jpg
    Paterson & case_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Paterson case_1.jpg
    Paterson case_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I don’t own anything to compare with that, but I sure do appreciate what you have! You did a really nice job restoring and refinishing that case.

Dixie Gun Works used to stock a full line of Paterson accessories, including the correct reproduction cleaning rod. I haven’t checked recently, though.

I’ve read a lot of period material from the 19th century, and you would be surprised at how many people were carrying revolvers as early as the 1840’s. It’s too bad the early Patersons are not better represented in the replica market. I would love to have one some day.

Thanks for showing this really cool cased set!

Notchy Bob

@kh54 ,

I took a look at the Dixie website, found an old listing for the Paterson cleaning rod, Part # RA1006, but these are evidently no longer available. However, they do have a reproduction .36 caliber Paterson cylinder, evidently for the Pietta revolver, as Part #CY0702. I don't know if that could be made to fit your older Paterson repro or not, but it would at least fill the void in your case, if you can justify the expense ($82).

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

There’s just something about those Patersons. When they come up for sale they are usually gone in a heartbeat. The other thing is that the prices they can command are right up there with those Chinese ‘weather’ balloons. :cool:

Thanks - Notchy? Bob? (Or do you prefer both?) Making my own cleaning rod will be easy. I traced the knob profile from a pic of an original at some online auction house. I’m just not a wood turner so a friend is doing that for this case and one for my Root. The filed notches to create a jag will also be easy. Some cleaning rods were just threaded at the jag end. I may try that cylinder but what I really hope to find soon is a spiral capper. Everyone seems to be out of stock. I did find an original capper on Gunsinternational for only $4,999. Such a deal. Thanks again!

Greetings Friends! For the past few years I've been building a modest collection of Colt percussion revolvers. My budget isn't unlimited, and it doesn't allow me to buy originals. But I can afford the better reproductions, mostly by Uberti and a few Colt second generation models. (I did buy an original sidehammer Root pocket revolver in .28 caliber. Root reproductions are out there but they are pretty scarce.) I've also enjoyed collecting the accessories to put together cased sets for the second generation guns and a couple of the best ones from Italy.

I have watched for some time to pick up a Paterson but anyone who pays attention to such things knows the Paterson reproductions are rare and expensive. But two or three or some weeks ago I bought this Paterson reproduction from forum member @lexington1. (Thanks again Wes!) It was made by MOFRA and sold through Replica Arms – it has a 1964 proof date, and it appears to be unfired. I haven’t had a chance to correct that yet. Soon.

You can see in the photos below that the case that came with the gun was a little rough, and even though it isn't the best fit, I decided to repair it and redo the lining and partitions to approximate an original cased set for this gun more closely. I had to do a little regluing, and I wet sanded the exterior with Watco Danish Oil to restore the finish, which I think is now much better than the original.

Most of the original Paterson cased sets that I’ve seen have no partitions, just shallow recessed cutouts for the revolver and flask, with other accessories simply mounted with wire. So, I’ve tried to do the same with mine. Unfortunately, I am missing some of the accessories that came with most of the sets I’ve seen: spare cylinder, cleaning rod, and spiral capper. The brass rod that’s in the case in the photo below will be my cleaning rod. I still have to file some notches in the end of it to create a jag, and a friend of mine is turning a wood knob for me. Reproduction spiral cappers are out of stock wherever I’ve looked, so for now my Ted Cash capper is a place holder. Finally, where the spare cylinder would have been I’ve simply put a cap tin. It was hard enough just to find the gun in the first place; I doubt I’ll be able to find a spare cylinder. But you never know…

If anyone is interested, compare what I've done to originals and let me know what you think. I welcome criticism (well, some).

Attachments

• ECB7D6C3-FB39-494C-B6B2-880857BB3D68.jpeg
    ECB7D6C3-FB39-494C-B6B2-880857BB3D68.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
This little Pietta has been in my safe for quite a while. They were nicely done. (I fixed your typo. :)

That's a very nice presentation. I've watched prices on the Paterson repops going crazy lately. Two weeks ago a Pietta/Navy Arms sold on Gunbroker for $1,561.99! Makes me wonder what I could sell mine for - IF I wanted to sell it.

Wow, I haven’t been watching but should be. Because of my age , a lot of things should be sold. I don’t want my wife to have to deal with the “vultures “ if anything should happen to me. Lol
Thanks for the fix

Back